Went to first Jiu Jitsu/Judo class today-feel worried

Status
Not open for further replies.
a "fish hook" is not a martial arts technique. if you are going to get hurt training, it should be in learning and with purpose. not to torture/humiliate. intolerable.

if anyone ever fish hooked me he'd be going through a wall.

if any instructor put a finger in my mouth I'd be gone.

as far as preparing for the next session, work on bite strength. chew leather or jerky non-stop. get your jaw muscles jakt. then, when your instructor reaches into your mouth to pull you off the mat, bite his finger. bite that bitch off.

then find a BJJ school.

This and hit him in the balls after you have bitten off the finger, and say - Rula # 1 [Japanese Accent] Never take your eyes off the opponent. [/ Japanese Accent]

Are you serious or just imaging a scenario TS.

Last edited:
if any instructor put a finger in my mouth I'd be gone.

as far as preparing for the next session, work on bite strength. chew leather or jerky non-stop. get your jaw muscles jakt. then, when your instructor reaches into your mouth to pull you off the mat, bite his finger. bite that bitch off.

then find a BJJ school.

This is unrealistic. What is realistic is taking your time waiting for an opportunity and accidentally thumbing his eye so hard that he earns a Cyclops belt. Apologize profusely and leave for good. What a prick!

Hey,

At this Ju Jitsu club I was pretty much humiliated and thrown in at the deep end :/ I didn't know any Japanese and when Sensei told me to throw a technique, he put me in a lock,threw me down and put me in a submission. In my first demo, he even fish hooked me to get me up!

P.S

How do Cung Le/Sakruba manage to deal with these fighters :/ My friend from the rival club is 10x British Kickboxing Champion and he's managed to beat a few Ju Jitsu fighters (a strange type of fight-it's like San Shou but points are scored)

wow, so you don't know any japanese and your sensei speaks japanese (of course it is JJJ) and even though you do not speak the same language you a) went there and b) somehow knew what technique he was asking you to throw.

yes, you are complete bullshit

also no one fishhooks you to get up especially if you are paying them and it is the first day (even ralph wouldn't do that)

as far as cung le and sakuraba i would suggest you go back to watching SF and old pride and you soon have dream 15? coming up.

but the best possible advice i could give you is go back to the contenders because there is sure to be some debate on how werdum could armbar santa.

Please give me proper/non joke answers-as stated before,i'm worried about

a) My cheek being torn open (the instructor's son said it would do HIM no good since i'll be screaming and my teeth will be out-idk what he meant by that)

b) Breaking my collarbone when breakfalling

c) Hitting my head on recoil

The instructor must be good at something since he has a multi-red striped white/cream belt and his son is a multi-red banded black belt.

The instructor taught my kickboxing instructors at my local clubs as well as the instructor of the Goshin-Ryu Ju Jitsu aka MMA dojo. He also taught many of my friends.

They promote Ju Jitsu at my local club but we do it only once a month for 3 hours and now that's been stopped. I could go to the MMA dojo but I think doing MMA will be jumping in at the deep end; not to mention one of the MMA dojo students was rude to my instructor.

Apart from breakfalls,what should I practice for next week?

P.S. Eye gouging,groin shots and fish hooking are probs better for self defence that BJJ because on the street, your opponent will try bite his way out of submission/headbut you if he's in a read naked choke. What I personally am worried about is that they may be doing finger manipulation next week :\

Please give me proper/non joke answers-as stated before,i'm worried about

a) My cheek being torn open (the instructor's son said it would do HIM no good since i'll be screaming and my teeth will be out-idk what he meant by that)

b) Breaking my collarbone when breakfalling

c) Hitting my head on recoil

The instructor must be good at something since he has a multi-red striped white/cream belt and his son is a multi-red banded black belt.

The instructor taught my kickboxing instructors at my local clubs as well as the instructor of the Goshin-Ryu Ju Jitsu aka MMA dojo. He also taught many of my friends.

They promote Ju Jitsu at my local club but we do it only once a month for 3 hours and now that's been stopped. I could go to the MMA dojo but I think doing MMA will be jumping in at the deep end; not to mention one of the MMA dojo students was rude to my instructor.

Apart from breakfalls,what should I practice for next week?

P.S. Eye gouging,groin shots and fish hooking are probs better for self defence that BJJ because on the street, your opponent will try bite his way out of submission/headbut you if he's in a read naked choke. What I personally am worried about is that they may be doing finger manipulation next week :\

Don't even bother replying to this. It's like the stuff we've been saying has gone through one ear and out the other. Shall I say, troll?

dude wtf I would never let my instructor put his hand in my mouth.

some kid did that to me at a party, I made sure he quickly understood that I was about to fuck him up. He was scared because I guess he was joking. But still thats fucking gross.

It sounds like you are doing well and wish well in your progress on the study and search of the JJJ ie. Jackass Ju Jutsu.

I fish-hooked some asshole wrestler years ago for playing dirty. There had been multiple complaints by less experienced guys about him poking eyes, oil-checking, etc. He was in my guard and decided to trachea grab me, I fish-hooked him and offered a few choice words. Pretty god damn effective move if I do say so myself.

I'd love to see how someone plans to bite my thumb while being fish-hooked though.

I take JJJ myself and my instructor never smashes anyone you need to learn to breakfall correctly before being thrown hard I would not go back to that place if I were you sounds pretty bad.

wow, so you don't know any japanese and your sensei speaks japanese (of course it is JJJ) and even though you do not speak the same language you a) went there and b) somehow knew what technique he was asking you to throw.

yes, you are complete bullshit

Erm, perhaps he told me the meaning in English when I said they don't teach us Japanese in kickboxing?

Also, generally when the words "throw" and "technique" are put together with the letter "a" in the middle, that generally means I was meant to throw a strike, which I did.

I am going to proceed with the assumption you are not trolling - although I suspect you are. So .....

If you don't know the correct course of action yourself, then you are not the smartest tool in the shed.

If they throw you without teaching how to fall first, then they are idiots and yes - you can get hurt (duh). I've never heard of any instructor "fish-hooking" a new student. The belt colours mean very little - I could throw on a coloured belt like this if I wanted to.

The alternative is you are over-exaggerating the situation.

Either way - excercise some common sense.

I am going to proceed with the assumption you are not trolling - although I suspect you are. So .....

If you don't know the correct course of action yourself, then you are not the smartest tool in the shed.

If they throw you without teaching how to fall first, then they are idiots and yes - you can get hurt (duh). I've never heard of any instructor "fish-hooking" a new student. The belt colours mean very little - I could throw on a coloured belt like this if I wanted to.

The alternative is you are over-exaggerating the situation.

Either way - excercise some common sense.

I told him that I was by no means knowledgable in Ju Jitsu.

Heck, i'm a blue belt in kickboxing and purposely wore my white belt to that lesson

There is 2 more sessions before summer holidays so i'll see from next week

Although I want to know your opinion on whether I should go to the other JJ club in my town-the teacher's a student of this guy though. Also one of his students started swearing at my kickboxing Sensei just because he had to do a kickboxing fight, not MMA fight, at our organised fight night (that and the fact that we refused to get his friends VIP tickets even though it was sold out).

My home club may be doing an 8 week MMA course for $40 but I don't want to get humiliated there (MMA guys are big bruisers and I assumed JJJ would be easier)

God, you guys need to stop moaning about the fishhook, nothing wrong with it in my opinion. It was probably done to the level to cause just enough discomfort to get the guy to stand up, not to injure him. If he did it with bad intentions though, i would be alarmed. Otherwise, it's just another valid technique trained in a controlled manner.

Happens in our class all the time. Fingers/thumb in eye, to nose, fingers in throat and fishhooks, all used to ease putting on a technique. None of it is done hard, but all done to cause the reaction.

However, being thrown to the extent that you feel you could smack your head (i.e., you don't know how to fall), the instructor should have either noticed that, or you should have told him that you didn't feel comfortable enough with break falling.

If it's a "Goshin-Ryu Ju Jitsu" dojo then it's not MMA. The latest trend is for traditional martial arts schools who teach styles that are "mixed" to claim that they are teaching MMA. Yes, technically they are teaching a mixture of martial arts, but they are not teaching Mixed Martial Arts.

If you didnt sign a waiver for the club you can actually sue him for doing this to on the first class .

and what's stopping a bjj guy from biting, clawing, gouging, fish hooking and head butting in a street fight? bjj will give you the knowledge to be able to obtain dominant positions where those dirty techniques will be most effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back