weight loss tips for fight in august.

willyg318

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i just started training for my first novice muay thai fight which is coming up in august. i weigh 14 stone which is 196 pounds. my trainer wants me to fight at 11 stone which is 154 pounds. i'm 6'1 and fairly broad, have a bit of a gut and love handles so i think if i can shift them i'll be fairly close on 154 pounds. in a light training session i lose around 7 pounds of water. my question is how can i drop so much weight without sacrificing too much power and also what kind of diet should i follow?

any help would be appreciated... cheers!

first off, good luck.

you will need a fiber supplement. not just psyllium husks, preferably a supplement that is in a proper ratio of about 70%:30% soluble:insoluble.

if your shitter isn't on a circadian rhythm then all hope is lost,

If you manage to drop that much weight by August you will be feeble or 6 feet under.

that kind of cut is not worth it, as the above poster mentioned you will be very feeble come fight time

40 some odd pounds? Cut off an arm. Maybe two.

Thats alot of weight to lose by August. Its only a novice fight anyway, just build up your cardio and slowly get lighter and in better shape for each fight.

I think 155 is a little bit too light for 6'1 although there are people who fight at that size. Id say 6'1 you wanna be around 170 lean.

Good God. Unless you're over 20% bodyfat you would have to lose muscle to drop 42 pounds. Honestly I think that's fucking ridiculous, and while I wouldn't stop listening to your muay thai instructor when it comes to Muay Thai, I sure as hell wouldn't let him give me diet advice.

I'm not saying you couldn't eventually fight at 155 and be fine there, but to do so by August would be infinitely retarded.

hey all thanks for the replies so far! my trainer has been practising for 12 years and is a qualified gym instructor also.. one of the other lads fought at 12stone and is an inch or two taller than me and a bit broader and he was beaten down by a bigger fighter! i checked my bmi at this weight and it would be considered healthy it's just the time that's the problem. i will post in this thread weekly starting monday to show my weekly weights and hopefully get a few pics up too.. any other advice and all would be great cheers!

hey all thanks for the replies so far! my trainer has been practising for 12 years and is a qualified gym instructor also.. one of the other lads fought at 12stone and is an inch or two taller than me and a bit broader and he was beaten down by a bigger fighter! i checked my bmi at this weight and it would be considered healthy it's just the time that's the problem. i will post in this thread weekly starting monday to show my weekly weights and hopefully get a few pics up too.. any other advice and all would be great cheers!

That is a ridiculous cut for what, 2 months? As others have said, 170 would probably be your best bet. Even at 170 you'd still be pretty tall for your weight class, so I'm guessing that's not what you're worried about.

I got one for you all hopefully someone can help me. I am 5'7 and walk around at 160 i usually fight 145 witch isnt terrible hard to make but i really think i would be much better at 135 if i could mantain or even increase my streangth. I usually dont lift weights i usually just do resistance training and lots of cardio and some calastentics. Does anyone have a routine that i could do that will help me build streangth but not make me too big. Also could anyone recommend a good weight lose program. I would also appricate any advice as weather to go to 135 or stay at 145.

I got one for you all hopefully someone can help me. I am 5'7 and walk around at 160 i usually fight 145 witch isnt terrible hard to make but i really think i would be much better at 135 if i could mantain or even increase my streangth. I usually dont lift weights i usually just do resistance training and lots of cardio and some calastentics. Does anyone have a routine that i could do that will help me build streangth but not make me too big. Also could anyone recommend a good weight lose program. I would also appricate any advice as weather to go to 135 or stay at 145.

SnP faq's

Back