News Weed no longer a doping violation for the UFC

Before you start celebrating, pay attention to exactly what they said:

“unless additional evidence exists that an athlete used it intentionally for performance-enhancing purposes.”

"Performance-enhancing purposes" is a general term they can abuse anytime they want to crackdown on somebody.

Nick and nate about to fight 10 times a year now

Pat Healy from years ago? that's what I thought of, and someone else mentioned in this thread. terrible loss of money for him
Yup. Him. I felt horrible for the dude. At the end of his career. Never was a top fighter so never earned millions. And I think it was some come from behind grinding win. Horrible.

Horrible news for the LW and WW division. Good and bad for Nate.

McGregor on some millionaire kush could go 10 rounds.

Nice, one less thing to lose fights over.

I'm pleased.

So i can finally compete
I easily smoke as much as any biaz bro

A lot more fighters gonna be missing weight and looking tired

I mean, im all for fights not getting cancelled but i really dont want to see high as fuck fighters fighting.

Honestly, why wouldn't they do it now? Theyre obviously addicted.

Fighters who were fined before should be compensated as well as for time they were suspended in relation to lost money making opportunities ... Would be really fucked if previous offenders were not compensated for this bs

ok, so now usada just not testing for it? can athletic commissions still request it?
appreciate the info. but now i have more questions than answers haha

USADA are still testing for it.

The process now is that any cannabis positives are now reported as atypical and there is an investigation. If the investigation determines that the athlete was not intending to improve their performance, then they are not charged with a violation.

If however the investigation concludes that the athlete WAS trying to improve their performance then they are still charged with a violation.

Things that can be considered as performance improving include:

Using cannabis as a pain medication
Using cannabis for in bout anxiety

So its not quite as cut and dried as cannabis now being legal. You are only not charged with a violation if it was determined the use was recreational and NOT performance enhancing.

That said, in five years of the USADA program there have only been THREE fighters who were popped for cannabis.. Three... And in two of those instances it would have been deemed recreational and so no suspension. The only one that could possibly be argued as performance related would be calvillo who was doing edibles as a sleep aid, but its very unlikely she would have been charged.

The issue with commissions, who are responsible for the vast majority of the cannabis suspensions remains.. so in the long run, these changes by USADA mean very little indeed.

Remember... they suspended Diaz 5 years at some point for weed. Who are the criminals?

Fighters who were fined before should be compensated as well as for time they were suspended in relation to lost money making opportunities ... Would be really fucked if previous offenders were not compensated for this bs

this only applies to the USADA program.

Only three fighters in 5 years have been suspended by USADA, and NONE were fined by USADA

USADA are still testing for it.

The process now is that any cannabis positives are now reported as atypical and there is an investigation. If the investigation determines that the athlete was not intending to improve their performance, then they are not charged with a violation.

If however the investigation concludes that the athlete WAS trying to improve their performance then they are still charged with a violation.

Things that can be considered as performance improving include:

Using cannabis as a pain medication
Using cannabis for in bout anxiety

So its not quite as cut and dried as cannabis now being legal. You are only not charged with a violation if it was determined the use was recreational and NOT performance enhancing.

That said, in five years of the USADA program there have only been THREE fighters who were popped for cannabis.. Three... And in two of those instances it would have been deemed recreational and so no suspension. The only one that could possibly be argued as performance related would be calvillo who was doing edibles as a sleep aid, but its very unlikely she would have been charged.

The issue with commissions, who are responsible for the vast majority of the cannabis suspensions remains.. so in the long run, these changes by USADA mean very little indeed.
Interesting. So basically, anyone who just wants to get high, is allowed. Curious about what medications would be allowed in-competition for anxiety.

Before you start celebrating, pay attention to exactly what they said:

"Performance-enhancing purposes" is a general term they can abuse anytime they want to crackdown on somebody.

the particular reasons cited are pain relief and (in bout) anxiety relief. they are both considered performance related.

Interesting. So basically, anyone who just wants to get high, is allowed. Curious about what medications would be allowed in-competition for anxiety.

prescribed medications? pretty much everything that would be prescribed for anxiety is fine. If you look more broadly at things like adhd etc, then most adhd medicactions contain stimulants which are prohibited in competition, but that is what TUE's are for.

but yes, recreational use now is fine. (although standard sobriety requirements still apply so if a referee pre fight determines you are stoned then you cannot fight)

prescribed medications? pretty much everything that would be prescribed for anxiety is fine. If you look more broadly at things like adhd etc, then most adhd medicactions contain stimulants which are prohibited in competition, but that is what TUE's are for.

but yes, recreational use now is fine. (although standard sobriety requirements still apply so if a referee pre fight determines you are stoned then you cannot fight)
I was going that route, because I find it funny that they'd rather people take xanax than smoke weed for anxiety. But, atleast they are slowly learning.

but, i cannot stress enough, this only currently applies to the USADA program.

Commissions still test for cannabis and many such as Texas have zero threshold. As "substances of abuse" is a new category now under the wada code I expect the likes of California, Nevada, CABMMA, some of the Canadian commissions to fall into line with USADA. But the likes of Texas could still be an issue.

ace-ventura-0waigM.gif

Back