Watching your parents get old

Both of my parents are 74 and get around great. Dad was laying brick until a month ago. He had to have a quintuple bypass so it made me start wondering how much longer am I going to have them? I don't handle loss well so I dread those days. Good news is dad made the fastest recovery th hospital had ever seen and my papaw lived to be 94 so hopefully I have more years with them. Appreciate and love them while you have them.

Very hard.

Long story.

My Dad used to be really active - like farm and ranch work. Out in -30 weather winter weather, working out in hot July summer weather.

Mom used to be fairly active but committed long hours to her job stress and a non active lifestyle took their toll.

I had moved to Brazil a few years back to live Jiu Jitsu lifestyle, quit my job and sold what I could - the plan was for 6 months to a year.However, 1 month into my stay my father had a heart attack and I was prepared to come back home. But it was a mild heart attack and at my father's urging stayed. Anyhow, about a month and a half later he had another heart attack and they were not sure if was going to make it. So, 3 days later I was on a plane back home - not sure if I was coming back to my fathers funeral or what.

He survived and is doing alot better but cannot do the things he used to. Is pretty much retired but all the outside work he used to do is out of the question now.

My mom got diabetes (runs in the family and genetics (Native American)). She was managing it. In 2006 she started really feeling rundown and for about 6 months the doctors were stumped. Anyhow, she almost died in 2007 from internal bleeding. The doctors finally figured out that she had liver disease. She was put on the donor list and got the transplant but is on medications.

I've been trying to get them to do even small stuff. Balance work, stretching, coordination, etc.. my mom started yoga but has slacked off.

I live about 3hrs away - because of work - but try to come home most weekends to just spend time with them and do chores for them.I try not to dwell on the negative but it is hard to not get emotional when I see them struggling.

Anyhow, my story. It will happen to me eventually. I can already see changes as as I age. Time and aging are a bitch.

Very hard.

Long story.

My Dad used to be really active - like farm and ranch work. Out in -30 weather winter weather, working out in hot July summer weather.

Mom used to be fairly active but committed long hours to her job stress and a non active lifestyle took their toll.

I had moved to Brazil a few years back to live Jiu Jitsu lifestyle, quit my job and sold what I could - the plan was for 6 months to a year.However, 1 month into my stay my father had a heart attack and I was prepared to come back home. But it was a mild heart attack and at my father's urging stayed. Anyhow, about a month and a half later he had another heart attack and they were not sure if was going to make it. So, 3 days later I was on a plane back home - not sure if I was coming back to my fathers funeral or what.

He survived and is doing alot better but cannot do the things he used to. Is pretty much retired but all the outside work he used to do is out of the question now.

My mom got diabetes (runs in the family and genetics (Native American)). She was managing it. In 2006 she started really feeling rundown and for about 6 months the doctors were stumped. Anyhow, she almost died in 2007 from internal bleeding. The doctors finally figured out that she had liver disease. She was put on the donor list and got the transplant but is on medications.

I've been trying to get them to do even small stuff. Balance work, stretching, coordination, etc.. my mom started yoga but has slacked off.

I live about 3hrs away - because of work - but try to come home most weekends to just spend time with them and do chores for them.I try not to dwell on the negative but it is hard to not get emotional when I see them struggling.

Anyhow, my story. It will happen to me eventually. I can already see changes as as I age. Time and aging are a bitch.

Just take care to ensure that your parents know how much you appreciate them. My old man had a heart attack a few years ago. We all had a big scare. He pulled through and survived. We were all very happy.

Last year, he was diagnosed with late-stage multiple myeloma. It's a death sentence. A couple weeks ago, he was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. Pneumonia is usually the cause of death for people with multiple myeloma, because it attacks the immune system.

I wish that I hadn't moved away.

Just take care to ensure that your parents know how much you appreciate them. My old man had a heart attack a few years ago. We all had a big scare. He pulled through and survived. We were all very happy.

Last year, he was diagnosed with late-stage multiple myeloma. It's a death sentence. A couple weeks ago, he was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. Pneumonia is usually the cause of death for people with multiple myeloma, because it attacks the immune system.

I wish that I hadn't moved away.

Have you had a chance to visit them this year? Hope that somehow it recesses (the myeloma) you never know.

I came down for the holidays - got a few weeks off. I'm going out tonight as it is my only chance for along time and I have not seen some friends. I am conflicted though as my parents are home but I guess they have each other and it's only for the night.

My parents are in their early 60's and are still active. They workout pretty regularly. They saw my grandparents get lazy in their old age and they want to avoid it at all costs.

Back