Watching your parents get old

Maybe instead of pushing your parents to take trips they aren't interested in you could recognize your own mortality as well and do things that make you happy.

yeah, like carving pumpkins or model airplanes.

Watching their memory fade away does it for me. They are very forgetful nowadays and don't even realize it.

i feel the same way.

though with my father, i see a lot more regret in him, than anything else.

and it's that which really gets to me emotionally.

The older people get the more they just want to sit around and watch tv.

I do cringe whenever one of my grandparents or parents call me by my brother's or a cousins name though.

You think that's tough just wait till they get into the 80's....on one hand it's great to have them around, on the other hand it's difficult watching them deteriorate and suffer through the GOLDEN YEARS......

Ahh shit TS I know that feel. It's such a horrible feeling. I see my parents a month out

My dad used to be a pimp even in his 50's. He dressed flashy, drove a subaru WRX STI, and always took care of himself. Now, at 64 he is content in sweats and a ball cap. He is physically ahead of most his age but still sucks to see. Getting a chick knocked up at age 54 is impressive. Mexican swimmers>>>

"It is the way of things..."

- Jedi Master Yoda

They are looking back at you seeing the same thing. It's a short time guys.

In the last ten years I have lost my grandparents, lost my dad. Had three children, my brother has two. His and my oldest are both now ten and having been at two schools already, are looking at their next at the end of next term.
I find myself talking to my kids about times past and expect them to remember, and having to be reminded by the wife that "he was only 4 when he did that".
It's depressing to therefore see how quickly time passes us by without even realising.

So yes, with you on that one, seeing my kids get so old so quick and therefore leaving their former selves as someone that no longer exists is sad.

Make the most of every day. Take nothing for granted. Everything is temporary.

I hate it, because as they're getting older, you CAN spend time with them but you just don't want to. But when you look back, you wish you did.

Ah, the failures of a weak race.

Both mom and dad still very active and more or less fit. Dad is 65 but bikes a lot and mom in a last year since she quit her job started working out and watching wht she eats, she honestly looks 10 years younger then when she was working(stress in financial industry is a bitch). Love the fact that we can still go camping, canoeing etc. hell dad can still give me run for my money paddling a canoe. They want to move to France, but can not really afford to retire there so they are looking for options to do remote or contract work. One thing that scare me is that when Dad gets cold it is usually pretty severe(high fever etc)

But I know all this great stuff will not last, my grandfather was active and completely awesome till he dropped one day age 74. Still the time we have I try to do stuff with them as much as I can. Going to their house for New Years with my wife, going to be a blast :)

I've been experiencing this a lot lately. My parents are in their early 60s now and it's really showing. I always stop by the house to help my dad with yard work, etc., and he just doesn't move like he used to.

I remember when I was a kid watching my parents have to much energy and going on trips and shit. Now they are in their 50-60s and I see them getting older and not being able to do much anymore.

It sucks that they are slowing down and makes me regret not doing more things with them.

and in before some says "at least you had parents there for you"

My dad died ten years ago and now mom isn't doing so well. Enjoy your parents now. Enjoy everyone you love RIGHT NOW so you won't have to regret it later.

Yea, I was thinking that during my break. Scanned some really old photos of my grandparents onto my hardrive and it just made time seem really short since my parents are the grandparents now of the family.

1353581551359.png

Ha, this is great

Hey, we all have to get old. My father has a terminal illness. It sucks to watch that.

My dad died ten years ago and now mom isn't doing so well. Enjoy your parents now. Enjoy everyone you love RIGHT NOW so you won't have to regret it later.

Sorry to hear man. But imo it all has to with age everyones parents die so if you get 40or 50 years out of it you are lucky. And no matter what you will probably have regrets. I know i have alot

Healthy lifestyle, good genes, not getting cancer.. if the person is healthy they can keep energy level into their 70s atleast, grandfather was swimming, working on his car, reading, learning programming, was sharper then half the people I know in their 30s/20s.

Can not stand talking to some of my old university buddies: fat, zero energy, sit in front of tv after work.. weekend? mcdonalds with beer and or pot and back to TV.. wife's not better, spaming FB with their kids pictures while trying to break 200lb on their diet of junkfood

Back