Watching your parents get old

Chuck Bass**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid watching my parents have to much energy and going on trips and shit. Now they are in their 50-60s and I see them getting older and not being able to do much anymore.

It sucks that they are slowing down and makes me regret not doing more things with them.

and in before some says "at least you had parents there for you"

I feel ya. My pops has developed a disease in the past year or so and he's pretty much always bedridden whenever he has an episode. Can't work, can't go out much. Gaining weight because he can't exercise without getting really dizzy.

Fucking sucks man. Just have to spend the time with them that you can and make time to engage in activities that they still enjoy. I bought my dad a blu-ray player for Christmas and some old WCW blu-rays. I don't like wrestling (did like WCW when I was a kid) but I spent hours just sitting there with him watching them and talking about the good ol' days of wrestling.

He enjoyed it, and I think he forgot for a little while about all the bad shit that has been happening to him lately.

He's 47 by the way, I'm 22. My mom is 45 and she's not slowing down much at all, although she does have some health problems that can fuck with her from time to time. Once she gets health insurance though I think that will be all fixed up.

I've constantly urge my parents to do stuff before they get too old to do them. They have the time and the means to travel the world but they don't seize the moment to do so which pisses me off because I'd do it in a heartbeat in their situation.

I've constantly urge my parents to do stuff before they get too old to do them. They have the time and the means to travel the world but they don't seize the moment to do so which pisses me off because I'd do it in a heartbeat in their situation.
My mom is really bad for this. She does trips to Seattle with my sister once or twice a year to go shopping, and her and my Dad have done Vegas a couple times over the past 7 years, but other than that she is content to stay at home watching shows like American Idol. And when they do visit Vegas, my dad rents a motorcycle and does a day trip while my mom stays behind to shop.

My dad on the other hand has been very vocal about wanting to visit New York, Hawaii, Mexico, etc., and crossing them off of his bucket list, but my mom has zero interest. Both of them are in good health (60 and 64) and make great money, hell my mom is a teacher so she gets summer off and she still doesn't want to step out of her comfort zone.

Both of them are in good health (60 and 64) and make great money, hell my mom is a teacher so she gets summer off and she still doesn't want to step out of her comfort zone.

My parents are almost identical age as yours. What's worse is that they've both been effectively retired in the last 10 years and still don't do it despite continuing to be wealthier because the business they started is continuing to be quite profitable and the value of the properties they own is rising.

Their problem is they can't see eye to eye on what they want to do. My mom want to do the girly stuff (Paris, Venice, etc...) my dad wants to do the fun stuff (Jeep across gobi dessert, amazon rain forest expedition, etc...) But they want to do it together so they are at a stalemate.

Last edited:
Watching my dad get out of a chair. That old man groan and stiff back even though he still plays badminton regularly.

They are looking back at you seeing the same thing. It's a short time guys.

I'm glad my parents had me when they were young. Dad just turned 55 and mom is 52. I'm 33. They're still as active as they ever were. Mom hasn't let MS slow her down either. I know one day it's going to take it's toll on her but for now, she's good.

Both my parents are on the verge of retiring, both in mid 60's and they live 3 hrs away. I try as much as possible as do they to visit, mostly for my 4 yr old son who they adore like no other. My dad has smoked for close to 50 yrs, so its inevitable things will happen as far as health. Just trying to get in as much time with him as well as his grandson as possible.

Maybe instead of pushing your parents to take trips they aren't interested in you could recognize your own mortality as well and do things that make you happy.

I feel ya. My pops has developed a disease in the past year or so and he's pretty much always bedridden whenever he has an episode. Can't work, can't go out much. Gaining weight because he can't exercise without getting really dizzy.

Fucking sucks man. Just have to spend the time with them that you can and make time to engage in activities that they still enjoy. I bought my dad a blu-ray player for Christmas and some old WCW blu-rays. I don't like wrestling (did like WCW when I was a kid) but I spent hours just sitting there with him watching them and talking about the good ol' days of wrestling.

He enjoyed it, and I think he forgot for a little while about all the bad shit that has been happening to him lately.

He's 47 by the way, I'm 22. My mom is 45 and she's not slowing down much at all, although she does have some health problems that can fuck with her from time to time. Once she gets health insurance though I think that will be all fixed up.

I hope your father gets better dude.

It's hard watching my parents get old.Now that they are actually old and physical activities are a pain for them.It's hard to spend time with them doing anything much other than just sitting with them.

1353581551359.png

my dad's forever young, passed when he was 35. mom is getting old like, still soldiering on looking after my sisters.

I hope your father gets better dude.

It's hard watching my parents get old.Now that they are actually old and physical activities are a pain for them.It's hard to spend time with them doing anything much other than just sitting with them.

Thanks man. It's rough, but he's always been a bit of a couch potato so as long as I can keep him comfortable and occupied it should be fine.

I'm getting him a lot of books so that he can at least keep his mind sharp, and I've got him started learning Spanish on livemocha.com and he's signed up for a few classes on coursera.org.

Are you kidding me? 50-60 is definitely not old. I know a guy who started BJJ when he was 60 years old. He's 65 now and still going strong.

Definitely not as bad as "Watching your Mommy go Black".

Edit: Don't think I can post that.

Better than watching them die, though that will happen in due time.

I mostly don't know that feel. My parents are in the early 60's and travel more than ever, go to concerts, demonstrations (old hippies), go hiking in the mountains, and is currently having a continuing gastronomic development which is quite astounding.

But it's coming, and it worries me a little. My father especially has a neck injury from his youth which seems to get worse every year, and he's waiting for his second operation. When I visit, it happens a little more often that I can see he's not feeling well at times.

Still, the contrast is rather staggering when compared to my in-laws who I sometimes get the impression that they basically sits home and stare at the wall most of the day. My father in law lives in the suburbs, and he hadn't been to the city for 17 years.

Hope your dad gets better man it not easy watching that. My father had cancer for 10 years diagnosed when i was ten, it was tough when he was on heavy doses of kemo he would barely be able to get off the coach and have the energy to do anything, defiantly not easy to watch and not be able to help much.
When he does have good days take advantage of it sounds like hes lucky to have you around.

Back