Was the UFC smart to put MM vs Dodson on Fox?

I dont know....2 BW's in a fight that is pretty certain to go the distance.

When you watch Roy Nelson you can very well expect either a knockout (probably in the first) or a violent beating (with Roy at the receiving end) and people will be cheering either way.
When Dodson got his title shot crowd was booing up until very knockout and, if memory serves, they were even booing during his post-fight interview.
It's a good thing the opinions of drunks don't dictate my viewing habits.

Yes most people thought both McCall vs Johnson fights were good.

My fiance is 5'7" and I'm 6'4" yet I'm not dumb enough to act like someone 5'3" is tiny. Especially when they are more muscular than most of the people you know. Yes they are short.

Also since when are most of Dodson, McCall, Benavidez, John Lineker, Louis Gaudinot, and John Moraga fights mostly wrestling and positioning. You're basically basing your opinion of the entire division on your opinion of John Dodson.

Either way none of this really even matters. The Ufc on Fox deal is not based on the ratings of one event like some sherdoggers believe. The flyweight division has the ability to be popular and putting it on Fox will give it the chance to gain notoriety.

Just like in boxing the lighter weight fighters can be big stars once they get more eyes on them. Just because the older long term fans don't like them it doesn't mean everyone will dislike them. Plus the lighter weight classes are hugely popular in Asia, Mexico, Phillipines and on and the Ufc truly aims to be a global company.

Airing Dodson/MM isn't just about the January 26th card. It's about building the division and helping to build the Ufc's brand in other countries. For those reasons alone it was smart for them to do.

Spare me of the condescension. You were the same guy that called me a "dumbass Sherdogger" for thinking the UFC would put a title fight on Fuel 7.

What happened with that situation? What's the main event of UFC on Fuel 7?

We can disagree about whatever, but you just make yourself look like a fool when you start trying to talk down to people and call them stupid for disagreeing with you. I feel like I have a pretty good pulse on the casual fan, and most of them don't care for technical fights that don't produce damage, near finishes, or finishes. You can disagree with that. That's fine. But don't call me dumb. It's just going to come back and bite you in the ass like the Fuel 7 thing did.

It's a familiarity issue which for some reason sherdoggers won't cop to and instead come up with fallacious reasoning to dislike entire divisions.

It's strange how some people would rather watch guys way past their prime and who haven't put on an exciting fight in years rather than watch up and coming stars.

it's funny because the exact same things were said about the lw division when the Ufc brought it back. Of course after a couple of years people realized it might be the best and most exciting division in the Ufc.

Yes it's free so it will attract more fans who don't want to pay 65 for a ppv which they dont know the fighters in the main event and imo flyw is an exciting division and I'm sure this fight will be great and will win a lot of fans over.

I doubt it will do well ratings-wise but who really knows? It'll be interesting to see, though.

Spare me of the condescension. You were the same guy that called me a "dumbass Sherdogger" for thinking the UFC would put a title fight on Fuel 7.

What happened with that situation? What's the main event of UFC on Fuel 7?

We can disagree about whatever, but you just make yourself look like a fool when you start trying to talk down to people and call them stupid for disagreeing with you. I feel like I have a pretty good pulse on the casual fan, and most of them don't care for technical fights that don't produce damage, near finishes, or finishes. You can disagree with that. That's fine. But don't call me dumb. It's just going to come back and bite you in the ass like the Fuel 7 thing did.

Where did I ever call you stupid? Also how does the Fuel 7 thing bite me in the ass? It's an opinion and I was wrong. I am not a big enough idiot to believe all of my opinions are infallible.

Also where did I ever say casual fans don't like finishes? If anything your opinion that flyweights somehow only produce technical fights that do no damage is far from the truth. There are plenty of flyweights that finish fights.

Lastly I already stated my opinion. Even if this card dos mediocre ratings it's a step that the Ufc needed to take. They need to get the flyweight division the exposure needed to make it more popular.

It'd probably tank on PPV, so yes. And since it's still NFL season they'll have a much easier time promoting it. It'd also be a good introduction for fans that still aren't familiar with flyweights.

MM v. Dodson could potentially make the FLW division popular if they put on a war. Hopefully it is a FOTN contender. It's definitely worth a shot, especialy since at this point they are not a PPV draw.

it's funny because the exact same things were said about the lw division when the Ufc brought it back. Of course after a couple of years people realized it might be the best and most exciting division in the Ufc.

This is true. Luckily Penn became champion and people loved him and during that time it allowed for the rest of the division to fill out nicely. Same thing is happening with FW. First it was pretyt much just Faber, MTB and Aldo. But now with KZ, Poirer, Swanson etc, people like the division a lot now.

With BW, I bet if Barao becomes undisputed champ and finishes Cruz and some challengers, the interest in that division will increase dramatically especially with guys like McDonald in he division too. I honestly do not think FLW will become too popular with the casuals/mainstream until a champ who is a finisher rises up.

Me personally, I like all the weightclasses. FLW I am particularly biased towards because that is what I wrestled at and if I were to compete seriously again it would again be at 125 or 135.

Where did I ever call you stupid? Also how does the Fuel 7 thing bite me in the ass? It's an opinion and I was wrong. I am not a big enough idiot to believe all of my opinions are infallible.

Exact quote from that thread: "Dumbass Sherdoggers like you.."

You called me dumb, guy. It happened.

Also where did I ever say casual fans don't like finishes? If anything your opinion that flyweights somehow only produce technical fights that do no damage is far from the truth. There are plenty of flyweights that finish fights.

The flyweight fights that have produced finishes on main cards are outnumbered by those that don't, and one of the ones that did was a major boo-fest pre-KO.

Lastly I already stated my opinion. Even if this card dos mediocre ratings it's a step that the Ufc needed to take. They need to get the flyweight division the exposure needed to make it more popular.

No argument there. I just think the smaller weights have to do something to make them more marketable, and producing finishes is likely to help that because the perception among many casual fans is likely that these guys have no power and can't do damage. Most of those fans probably didn't see Moraga blast Gomez (can't remember if that was re-aired). They probably didn't see Gaudinot/Lineker.

I dont know....2 BW's in a fight that is pretty certain to go the distance.
I thnk the finishing statistics was posted in on of "does ufc needs FLW division" threads of late months.
All divisions from BW to LWH have about the same finish rate somewhere between 50-55%. Only HW really stands out with about 75% finish rate.
So "lower weights don't finish" is pretty much a myth. And if Jones finishes almost every fight and Bendo almost never does it's not a problem of LHW against LW - its only about particular fighter.

I thnk the finishing statistics was posted in on of "does ufc needs FLW division" threads of late months.
All divisions from BW to LWH have about the same finish rate somewhere between 50-55%. Only HW really stands out with about 75% finish rate.
So "lower weights don't finish" is pretty much a myth. And if Jones finishes almost every fight and Bendo almost never does it's not a problem of LHW against LW - its only about particular fighter.

The problem is that the champions at 125 and 135 do not finish fights. That puts a stamp on the division. It also doesn't help the UFC is putting some of their top flyweights on the prelims. They need move some of their more known but not exactly relevant heavier weight fighters on the prelims and their top flyweights and bantamweights on main cards. Missing a lot of great finishes this way.

I don't know why people are complaining about flyweights who don't finish when one who does is the #1 contender. Dodson has looked great in his fights and I hope he beats MM. I'm pulling for a rear naked sub personally but i'd be ok with a 4-5th round tko win.

And the flyweight fights outside of the two that produced finishes (and even the Dodson fight featured a ton of booing before because Formiga wasn't doing anything) have been extremely technical.

Again, I feel like you're trying to sell me on the fights being great when I've already established that I'm fine with the flyweights.

There are no statistics for what happens in the fights, but there are ratings for events.
Ratings which were dominated by Kimbo Slice and Brock Lesnar.

lol at this. Being more interested in Rampage vs Glover than MM vs Dodson, Pettis vs Cerrone or Koch vs Lamas says everything we need to know about you as a fan.

I will never understand people who would rather watch big name fighters who haven't put on an exciting fight in 5 years than great young fighters who put on great fights every time out.

Well, you might find that I'm part of the majority and you're part of the minorty. Glover is an exciting fighter.

Well, you might find that I'm part of the majority and you're part of the minorty. Glover is an exciting fighter.

Glover is an exciting fighter but to say you have no interest in Cerrone/Pettis and Koch/Lamas is absolutely mind boggling.

Also I could careless if you are part of the majority. Lil Wayne sells 20 times as many records as Kendrick Lamar but that doesn't make it any less idiotic.

Ratings which were dominated by Kimbo Slice and Brock Lesnar.

There are a large portion of the casual fanbase that is basically retarded. The longer mma and the Ufc is around the more knowledgeable fans should become. Well at least I hope.

The flyweight fights that have produced finishes on main cards are outnumbered by those that don't, and one of the ones that did was a major boo-fest pre-KO.
Why can't you distinguish between a bad Jon Dodson fight and a bad flyweight fight? For years I have heard about how boring Jon Fitch is yet not once have I ever heard of an entire division being imputed to him.

Back