Was the UFC smart to put MM vs Dodson on Fox?

Its for sure good for these two fighters, given this chance I hope we see a great fight.

It can't be worse than the HW title fight.
HW title fights too often end very soon, like the last one on free TV (62 seconds, lol).

Flyweights are perfect. These two guys are fast, powerful, athletic, engaging, interesting, energetic, and will bang, bomb, and blast shots at each other. While they might not be knockout shots (although both guys have that kind of power, especially Dodson), it will be an interesting affair. If the UFC markets this fight right and this division right, maybe they can feed off the success of the "small guys" in boxing (who are currently the big box office draws).

So does Michael McDonald/Eddie Wineland/John Dodson/Brad Pickett/etc.

I was solely speaking about flyweights. The smallest of the small.

There have been 2 finishes among the main card flyweight bouts in 2012. The champion, Demetrious Johnson, has not finished an opponent in 2 years. If you go up to bantamweight, Cruz hasn't finished a fight in 2 1/2 years, and that finish was a doctor stoppage because Bowles broke his hand. Before that, you have to go back to March of 2008, on a regional show, for a Dominick Cruz finish.

Look, I'm not complaining about flyweights or fights not being finished. I'm just trying to explain what needs to happen for these lower fights, especially the ultra-tiny flyweights, to become anywhere near as popular as the heavier weights. The UFC's already got my attention. I watch every fight and have for almost 8 years now.

There have been 2 finishes among the main card flyweight bouts in 2012. The champion, Demetrious Johnson, has not finished an opponent in 2 years. If you go up to bantamweight, Cruz hasn't finished a fight in 2 1/2 years, and that finish was a doctor stoppage because Bowles broke his hand. Before that, you have to go back to March of 2008, on a regional show, for a Dominick Cruz finish.

Look, I'm not complaining about flyweights or fights not being finished. I'm just trying to explain what needs to happen for these lower fights, especially the ultra-tiny flyweights, to become anywhere near as popular as the heavier weights. The UFC's already got my attention. I watch every fight and have for almost 8 years now.
Why are you bringing up Cruz? He is mocked by his own peers as "the decisionator."

It's def a test to see if a less-appealing main event will still draw good ratings as long as a big name is on the undercard. I think it'll do great given all the commercials during NFL. Plus Meltzer said it's sold about 11K in tickets already which is great for a flyweight main event

Gsp is the Ufc's most popular fighter and rarely finish fights. Ben Henderson just headlined a card that did very solid ratings and he isn't a finisher either. Fans love great back and forth battles just as much as KO's.

Also lol at flyweights being ultra tiny. I swear every sherdogger must be 250 lbs. McCall, Johnson, and Benavidez are small for sure but all would be around 150-160 pounds when not constantly training. Yet sherdoggers act like they are dwarves.

Lastly there have only been, IIRC, what 5 flyweight main card fights? So having 2 being finishes isn't exactly terrible. Especially when the other 3 fights have been Mighty Mouse vs McCall twice(both of which were great fights) and Mighty Mouse vs Benavidez which was far from a boring fight.

i think they are looking at it from a ppv aspect cause that aint doin 300,000 buys as a main event but the same people who wouldn't buy it will watch it for free

Why are you bringing up Cruz? He is mocked by his own peers as "the decisionator."

Because he's a big reason why casual fights probably haven't taken to the bantamweights. He's the face of the division.

My OP was about flyweights only, then someone brought up Aldo, but he just proves my point because he knocks people out. That's why he's popular. The two most unpopular champions in the UFC are the two fighters with the least amount of finishes on UFC TV. It all starts at the top. GSP is the only fighter that is an exception because he got popular finishing established names like Trigg, Hughes, Sherk and Serra. His rockstar image has been able to withstand the lack of finishes.

Gsp is the Ufc's most popular fighter and rarely finish fights. Ben Henderson just headlined a card that did very solid ratings and he isn't a finisher either. Fans love great back and forth battles just as much as KO's.

Just touched on GSP in my previous post. In short, he became popular by running through the established names at the time and finishing them.

Also lol at flyweights being ultra tiny. I swear every sherdogger must be 250 lbs. McCall, Johnson, and Benavidez are small for sure but all would be around 150-160 pounds when not constantly training. Yet sherdoggers act like they are dwarves.

John Dodson and Demetrious Johnson are 5'3. My girlfriend is 5'2. Sorry, that's tiny for man. Benavidez is an inch taller.

You really trying to act like these guys are small as hell? Dude, they can fight and they're tough, but they are fucking small, man. Really small for grown men. Average height for male is like 5'8 or 5'9.

Lastly there have only been, IIRC, what 5 flyweight main card fights? So having 2 being finishes isn't exactly terrible. Especially when the other 3 fights have been Mighty Mouse vs McCall twice(both of which were great fights) and Mighty Mouse vs Benavidez which was far from a boring fight.

YOU think those were great fights. Did the casual fans? That's the question. There doesn't seem to be a large demand for smaller fighters right now.

My point was never that flyweights don't put on great fights. It's that casual fans might not perceive them as great fights because there isn't enough definitive, damaging action. Guys aren't getting close to being finished and coming back to finish the other guy like they've seen with the bigger guys. Lot of wrestling and positioning in these flyweight fights, and the casual fans do not like that. They are the target audience, whether you like it or not.

Casuals will tune in to see Rampage

Some will stick around for MM and Dodson. Some will like it, some won't.

Hell, Rampage vs Glover could end up being a stinker for all we know

This

Fox cards are normally solid(card wise and viewers wise) but I'm expected low ratings for Fox 6.

The only fight I'm interested in on this card is Rampage Vs Glover. Which should be a good brawl.

Finish rates are inconsequential. GSP vs Condit just won Fight of the Year and that went the distance. It is what happens throughout the fight that matters, and there are no statistics for that.

Fox cards are normally solid(card wise and viewers wise) but I'm expected low ratings for Fox 6.

The only fight I'm interested in on this card is Rampage Vs Glover. Which should be a good brawl.

How can you not be excited for Pettis cerrone.

Just touched on GSP in my previous post. In short, he became popular by running through the established names at the time and finishing them.

John Dodson and Demetrious Johnson are 5'3. My girlfriend is 5'2. Sorry, that's tiny for man. Benavidez is an inch taller.

You really trying to act like these guys are small as hell? Dude, they can fight and they're tough, but they are fucking small, man. Really small for grown men. Average height for male is like 5'8 or 5'9.

YOU think those were great fights. Did the casual fans? That's the question. There doesn't seem to be a large demand for smaller fighters right now.

My point was never that flyweights don't put on great fights. It's that casual fans might not perceive them as great fights because there isn't enough definitive, damaging action. Guys aren't getting close to being finished and coming back to finish the other guy like they've seen with the bigger guys. Lot of wrestling and positioning in these flyweight fights, and the casual fans do not like that. They are the target audience, whether you like it or not.

Yes most people thought both McCall vs Johnson fights were good.

My fiance is 5'7" and I'm 6'4" yet I'm not dumb enough to act like someone 5'3" is tiny. Especially when they are more muscular than most of the people you know. Yes they are short.

Also since when are most of Dodson, McCall, Benavidez, John Lineker, Louis Gaudinot, and John Moraga fights mostly wrestling and positioning. You're basically basing your opinion of the entire division on your opinion of John Dodson.

Either way none of this really even matters. The Ufc on Fox deal is not based on the ratings of one event like some sherdoggers believe. The flyweight division has the ability to be popular and putting it on Fox will give it the chance to gain notoriety.

Just like in boxing the lighter weight fighters can be big stars once they get more eyes on them. Just because the older long term fans don't like them it doesn't mean everyone will dislike them. Plus the lighter weight classes are hugely popular in Asia, Mexico, Phillipines and on and the Ufc truly aims to be a global company.

Airing Dodson/MM isn't just about the January 26th card. It's about building the division and helping to build the Ufc's brand in other countries. For those reasons alone it was smart for them to do.

lol at this. Being more interested in Rampage vs Glover than MM vs Dodson, Pettis vs Cerrone or Koch vs Lamas says everything we need to know about you as a fan.

I will never understand people who would rather watch big name fighters who haven't put on an exciting fight in 5 years than great young fighters who put on great fights every time out.

Finish rates are inconsequential. It is what happens throughout those fights that matters, and there are no statistics for that.

And the flyweight fights outside of the two that produced finishes (and even the Dodson fight featured a ton of booing before because Formiga wasn't doing anything) have been extremely technical.

Again, I feel like you're trying to sell me on the fights being great when I've already established that I'm fine with the flyweights.

There are no statistics for what happens in the fights, but there are ratings for events.

When someone would rather watch Roy Nelson fight than Jose Aldo, Michael Mcdonald, Renan Barao, Dodson, the Korean Zombie, Erik Koch, Urijah Faber and etc, etc it's obvious their brain is small as a peanut.

When you watch Roy Nelson you can very well expect either a knockout (probably in the first) or a violent beating (with Roy at the receiving end) and people will be cheering either way.
When Dodson got his title shot crowd was booing up until very knockout and, if memory serves, they were even booing during his post-fight interview.

Im a huge flyweight fan so anything the UFC throws together for flyweights is awesome. I feel the fighters in Flyweight and Bantamweight engage more, they are better to watch then half the Wallstaller's and the Lay and Pray strategy you find at welter and middleweight.
The strategies are to use more technique and bring a really fast pace which is seen more in these fights because fighters that aren't cutting weight and are that size naturally come to the fight with higher cardio you would find in the higher weight classes.
MM vs Dodson both have managed to get enough publicity to make the fight in a Main Event be worth it to watch. Dodson being on the Ultimate Fighter, winning it and his Wins at Flyweight IMO have been awesome to watch and MM with his fights at Bantamweight. Ever since the Yamamoto fight ive been a huge fan. Free or not I KNOW Ive purchased worse cards the UFC has put together.

thats true i wish ww on up had more of that

lol at this. Being more interested in Rampage vs Glover than MM vs Dodson, Pettis vs Cerrone or Koch vs Lamas says everything we need to know about you as a fan.

I will never understand people who would rather watch big name fighters who haven't put on an exciting fight in 5 years than great young fighters who put on great fights every time out.
It's a familiarity issue which for some reason sherdoggers won't cop to and instead come up with fallacious reasoning to dislike entire divisions.

When you watch Roy Nelson you can very well expect either a knockout (probably in the first) or a violent beating (with Roy at the receiving end) and people will be cheering either way.
When Dodson got his title shot crowd was booing up until very knockout and, if memory serves, they were even booing during his post-fight interview.

Or he gasses in the first three minutes against Frank mir.

Back