Was the UFC smart to put MM vs Dodson on Fox?

wellsdj1

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
When the UFC first announced MM vs Dodson on Fox TV I thought it was a smart move, after all this fight wouldn't sell a lot of PPV's so no lost there. Lately I've been wondering if that was smart of the UFC and Fox. If this fight is silimar to MM last fight would casuals or people who never watched MMA or the UFC enjoy that? Even a lot of hard core fans don't enjoy that type of fighting, I can't imagine casuals or people new to the sport would either!

Casuals will tune in to see Rampage

Some will stick around for MM and Dodson. Some will like it, some won't.

Hell, Rampage vs Glover could end up being a stinker for all we know

UFC puts their least marketable fights on Fox cards. It's the reason Ben Henderson was the main event. His PPV numbers did horrible with the Edgar fights. The only exemption is contender fights where they are investing in hyping a future title fight.

I think its a decent choice.

I actually think it's gonna be a good fight. Hoping Dodson KO's MM.

I would rather watch DJ's last 5 fights than Rampage's recent outings.

Rampage vs Evans = 4 good seconds
Rampage vs Machida (was good)
Rampage vs Hamill = zzzz
Rampage vs Jones = one sided pound in
Rampage vs Bader = zzz

Oh wait he fought in Pride.

Should prove to have some of the fastest exchanges weve seen in the UFC. Great fight, maybe not for the casual though.

I would rather watch DJ's last 5 fights than Rampage's recent outings.

Rampage vs Evans = 4 good seconds
Rampage vs Machida (was good)
Rampage vs Hamill = zzzz
Rampage vs Jones = one sided pound in
Rampage vs Bader = zzz

Oh wait he fought in Pride.

This. Less probability of a KO =\= less action or a less exciting fight. The speed, pace and technicality of these two will be intense, and Dodson always has the chance to KO. Only people with tough guy syndrome hate lower weight classes. Although tough guy syndrome does describe a lot of TapOut casuals.

A flyweight fight headlining a ppv card would probably bomb unless the undercard was insane. I know I wouldnt order any fight that has mighty mouse in the main event

Im a huge flyweight fan so anything the UFC throws together for flyweights is awesome. I feel the fighters in Flyweight and Bantamweight engage more, they are better to watch then half the Wallstaller's and the Lay and Pray strategy you find at welter and middleweight.
The strategies are to use more technique and bring a really fast pace which is seen more in these fights because fighters that aren't cutting weight and are that size naturally come to the fight with higher cardio you would find in the higher weight classes.
MM vs Dodson both have managed to get enough publicity to make the fight in a Main Event be worth it to watch. Dodson being on the Ultimate Fighter, winning it and his Wins at Flyweight IMO have been awesome to watch and MM with his fights at Bantamweight. Ever since the Yamamoto fight ive been a huge fan. Free or not I KNOW Ive purchased worse cards the UFC has put together.

I really like Dodson and would watch any of his fights. Mm not so much. So hoping Dodson wins

Dodson vs MM will be great. I give a fuck what other people think. Can not wait pal.

yes, it really says something about the overall stupidity of mma fans that they constantly bash the lighter weight classes.

When someone would rather watch Roy Nelson fight than Jose Aldo, Michael Mcdonald, Renan Barao, Dodson, the Korean Zombie, Erik Koch, Urijah Faber and etc, etc it's obvious their brain is small as a peanut.

Being that the flyweights are so little and more technical, they're going to have to produce finishes or insanely crazy wars to get to the point to where they're headlining PPVs and FOX cards on a regular basis. The technical, back-and-forth battles aren't going to cut it because those only appeal to the more cultured MMA fan. That's not who buys the PPVs and that's not who they're trying to get to tune into FOX.

This is why heavyweights are more popular than flyweights. They're less technical, have worse cadio, their fights tend to get sloppy.....but there's a higher probability of a finish (and almost always that finish is a KO). You see MMA at a higher level in a flyweight fight than your average UFC heavyweight fight, but that isn't what sells. KOs are sexy and technical MMA is beauty. A sexy but beautiful girl half naked is going to get more eyes than a beautiful girl showing no skin.

Being that the flyweights are so little and more technical, they're going to have to produce finishes or insanely crazy wars to get to the point to where they're headlining PPVs and FOX cards on a regular basis. The technical, back-and-forth battles aren't going to cut it because those only appeal to the more cultured MMA fan. That's not who buys the PPVs and that's not who they're trying to get to tune into FOX.

This is why heavyweights are more popular than flyweights. They're less technical, have worse cadio, their fights tend to get sloppy.....but there's a higher probability of a finish (and almost always that finish is a KO). You see MMA at a higher level in a flyweight fight than your average UFC heavyweight fight, but that isn't what sells. KOs are sexy and technical MMA is beauty. A sexy but beautiful girl half naked is going to get more eyes than a beautiful girl showing no skin.

Sorry but I don't buy it. The lower weight class fighters are extremely popular in boxing and Aldo is a star in brazil.

The lighter weight classes don't appeal to the casual, just bleed, old school fans but the farther away the Ufc gets from that fanbase the better.

Sorry but I don't buy it. The lower weight class fighters are extremely popular in boxing and Aldo is a star in brazil.

The lighter weight classes don't appeal to the casual, just bleed, old school fans but the farther away the Ufc gets from that fanbase the better.

Aldo knocks people out.

That was my point.

UFC puts their least marketable fights on Fox cards.

Shogun, Rory and BJ were all on the last Fox card.

I also recall seeing Chael, JDS, Rashad and Bisping on Fox cards

FX and Fuel cards, yes. Fox cards, no.

Back