Was the Rock vs Mankind I Quit match the one that took it too far in the attitude era?

That is still the single hardest chair shot to the head in the history of the business.

Rock winded up like he was swinging a baseball bat.

This was right after the JBL Blue Meanie incident. Notice how Richards hits him with the top part of the chair that has no give.

Actually, I might be wrong.

I remembered this chair shot having ALOT more windup than it actually did.

Still a very hard chair shot, probably still in the top 10, but the chair shots Mick took were worse.

Actually, I might be wrong.

I remembered this chair shot having ALOT more windup than it actually did.

Still a very hard chair shot, probably still in the top 10, but the chair shots Mick took were worse.

Was a nasty chair shot, but theres been loads harder.

Like this one:

Jesus Christ...

And Brock took that like the beast he is.

If you wanna talk about going too far, speaking of Brock Lesnar, this from the Ruthless aggression era.

Skip to 8mins in for when shit gets real:

Was a nasty chair shot, but theres been loads harder.

Like this one:

Live I remember thinking those were nasty...Brock doesn't even try and protect himself.

Listening to Shamrock's explanation, I think he might've been ahead of the curve in how he took it. Rock didn't even want to do it, because, well, obviously. However, Shamrock was smart. He knew anything near the back of the head was bad news, and thought his forehead was a safer shot, being one of the strongest bones in the human body.

Bottom line is, it looked gnarly as fuck, but it was probably far safer than the shots we had grown accustomed to.

Bring back unprotected face shots!

After meeting Mick Foley and seeing how spaced out he could become - it definitely makes me cringe watching it back.

And having a gf who's dealt with three concussions in the last two years - I don't wish that type of trauma on anyone

Vince interviewing Pillman’s wife the night after his death. Some of his questions are real awkward.

Never understood how these guys took shots like that and didn’t flinch...when your body’s natural reaction is to flinch.

It's a light metal, but they were/are the same usual chairs used in the crowd. They don't allow direct shots to the head anymore for a reason.
As someone who has taken a legit pro wrestling chair shot to the head, they fucking hurt when they are thrown hard and you aren’t braced perfectly. While handcuffed taken hard shots, he may as well been eating haymakers.

As someone who has taken a legit pro wrestling chair shot to the head, the fucking hurt when they are thrown hard and you aren’t braced perfectly. While handcuffed taken hard shots, he may as well been eating haymakers.
Yeah, that's why even back then, WWF/E would try to reserve the craziest stunts for PPV, because then it'd be worth it in their eyes to take a direct shot for the excitement of the match. But I'm sure Benoit turning into a murderer is what changed everything. If that hadn't happen, we'd probably be seeing scaffold matches every Monday night.

Back