Was the Rock vs Mankind I Quit match the one that took it too far in the attitude era?

forum poster

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Besides the hell in a cell with the Undertaker and mankind. This was the one of the hartest match's to watch.
The Rock too things wayyyy too far. They apparently agreed about 6 or so headshots with a chair. It ended up with about 11 or 12. In the last few chair head shots, Foley was bending over and giving his back to be hit just to prevent another head shot.

One of the most harrowing thing about it, is that Foley didn't even know just how brutal chair shots would be when he had his hands behind his back. As bad as the chair shots are. They were apparently 3x worse when you can't move your hands to absorb the Impact according to Foley.

Foley bringing his wife and children along to watch was also really stupid.

It's seriously hard to watch. Especially the last chair shot.

Full match

Last edited:
The repeated chair shots to the head are brutal

You will never see that again

Yeah, the entire thing was stupid and irresponsible. I have nothing but love and respect for both guys, but this went way too far. I'm just glad Mick isn't dead or in a wheel chair.

Is it just me, or does The Rock have a history of giving disgusting chair shots, but not talking them?

I mean, I guess, but there are countless matches that pushed the envelope in that era. This one got attention for being in a documentary.

Mick isn't a technical master like Bret Hart but he had good ring psychology and work rate. In hindsight he would have bedn just as good if he hadn't risked his body and brain so much.

I loved it at the time in HS, but as an adult now I wish those guys hadn't taken so much for us.

It was featured in the "beyond the mat" documentary (one of the best wrestling docs). I felt Mick had much more of a right to be livid about it than he was and The Rock being so flippant about it afterwards was pretty bad.

Mick was more pissed about the Montreal screw job than he was about basically viciously assaulted with a weapon in front of his kids

That's good to know. I don't think I've seen any Wrestlemania after 16.

I mostly remember him trying to kill Ken Shamrock with a chair.

To be fair, shamrock is the one who gave him the green light to do it. No way he would have had the balls to do that without Ken's permission.

Wait a sec are you all serious?! You must be dumb as children. The “steel chair” may as well be an aluminium can that sounds loud. None of those stunts were all that dangerous.. holy crap. The Shane McMahon Kurt Angle match was scarier haha

At the time, no it wasn’t the match that took it too far. There’s been bloodier and more violent matches out there. Now watching back now here in 2020, hell yeah that was too far. Those chair shots were brutal then but are way worse now with what we know about head trauma.

There’s some truth to Foley’s brain getting so scrambled from stuff like this that it made his sperm retarded. Going from Youngest to oldest, each kid of his hit there heads on the branches more than the previous sibling <Lmaoo>

It was featured in the "beyond the mat" documentary (one of the best wrestling docs). I felt Mick had much more of a right to be livid about it than he was and The Rock being so flippant about it afterwards was pretty bad.

Mick was more pissed about the Montreal screw job than he was about basically viciously assaulted with a weapon in front of his kids
Rock was just keeping kayfabe after the match, especially since cameras were rolling.

Wait a sec are you all serious?! You must be dumb as children. The “steel chair” may as well be an aluminium can that sounds loud. None of those stunts were all that dangerous.. holy crap. The Shane McMahon Kurt Angle match was scarier haha
It's a light metal, but they were/are the same usual chairs used in the crowd. They don't allow direct shots to the head anymore for a reason.

Is it just me, or does The Rock have a history of giving disgusting chair shots, but not talking them?
Agree, I can’t really recall him taking chair shots flush. I mean, I’m sure he did, but not like some other guys. But nobody should have to, it’s supposed to be a work.

That's good to know. I don't think I've seen any Wrestlemania after 16.

I mostly remember him trying to kill Ken Shamrock with a chair.
Oh man, WMs 17, 18, and 20 were bangers.

Foley did all that crazy shit to protect the business and then he goes and does the dick spot with Joey Ryan.

<32>

Oh man, WMs 17, 18, and 20 were bangers.
17 is the GOAT and 20 was good (not sure why you skipped 19 since it's top 5) but the only good thing I remember about 18 was the crowd for Hogan/Rock.

17 is the GOAT and 20 was good (not sure why you skipped 19 since it's top 5) but the only good thing I remember about 18 was the crowd for Hogan/Rock.
You’re right, I should’ve definitely included 19. I forgot how great that one was.
At 18, Hogan-Rock was the highlight for sure. But Undertaker and Flair had an awesome match together too, plus Austin-Scott Hall, and solid matches from Jericho-HHH, Angle-Kane (that was kind of a weird pairing, but turned out ok), and Edge-Booker T.

and yeah 17 is probably the GOAT, and I have a soft spot for WM3 from my childhood.

Back