Was Royce Gracie past it When he fought Matt Hughes?

Are some of these replies in this thread a joke? Royce left the UFC in 1995 for a reason. Don Frye, Tank, Vitor, Coleman, Randy Couture, Tito all came on the scene from 95-97. Royce wouldn't have beat any of these guys. Royce was a top fighter from 92-94 and hasn't been a top fighter since. Any version of Matt Hughes would have killed this guy.

There's a big difference in size between the fighters you named and Matt hughes

Nah, I believe Royce has a FAL there.
It wins.
Surely you see the AR in the back of matt's safe? Anyhow, I'd still take the hillbilly who's been shooting and hunting his whole life.

You trying to go 0-2 with me?

I'm still going to bet on Hughes.
View attachment 126927
I dunno... Royce fucking loves guns. Dude is a full blown enthusiast and longtime owner too.

Per the OP, yeah man. Royce was way past it by the time he fought Hughes. Like others have said, Hughes was the better all-around mixed martial artist. Royce had done some cross training, but was basically still plain BJJ. And in an older dudes body. Against the freak monster that was Country breakfast-fed Matt Hughes. He woulda probably beat any version of Royce.

I dunno... Royce fucking loves guns. Dude is a full blown enthusiast and longtime owner too.

Per the OP, yeah man. Royce was way past it by the time he fought Hughes. Like others have said, Hughes was the better all-around mixed martial artist. Royce had done some cross training, but was basically still plain BJJ. And in an older dudes body. Against the freak monster that was Country breakfast-fed Matt Hughes. He woulda probably beat any version of Royce.
I'd bet Hughes is more proficient with them though.

I'd bet Hughes is more proficient with them though.
I think you'd be surprised.

I would love to see a "Top Shot" style show with Royce Gracie and Matt Hughes. Ya'll ever watch that atrocity of a reality show on the History Channel?

Surely you see the AR in the back of matt's safe? Anyhow, I'd still take the hillbilly who's been shooting and hunting his whole life.

You trying to go 0-2 with me?

You need to reverse your score.

A FAL is a 7.62
ARs are shit. .223/5.56

All it takes is a tree to hide behind and the AR can't go thru it. A FAL eats right thru it.

2-0 for me, son.

A FAL is a 7.62
ARs are shit. .223/5.56

All it takes is a tree to hide behind and the AR can't go thru it. A FAL eats right thru it.

2-0 for me, son.
If Royce made from Kevlar or something? No. Let's just take a moment to reflect that you've fallen to point where you're seeking redemption by arguing who would win between two pro fighters in a gunfight based a post clearly made on jest.

And speaking of "son," you're probably young enough to be mine.

I think you'd be surprised.

I would love to see a "Top Shot" style show with Royce Gracie and Matt Hughes. Ya'll ever watch that atrocity of a reality show on the History Channel?
I think it would be funny. I've seen Royce shooting at the range and I know that Matt is a serious hunter, so a spin on that show with them would be funny.

If Royce made from Kevlar or something? No. Let's just take a moment to reflect that you've fallen to point where you're seeking redemption by arguing who would win between two pro fighters in a gunfight based a post clearly made on jest.

And speaking of "son," you're probably young enough to be mine.

Who started this argument, you or I?
You came at me with this shit, you idiot.

I proved you wrong.

And he doesn't need Kevlar. I said a tree, you dumb fuck.

Royce is truly from the style vs style era. Royce is not an MMA fighter....he is a BJJ expert that has competed in mma.

MMA evolved wayyyyyy past royce in technique and athletic abilities by the hughes fight.

Royce was definitely an MMA fighter. MMA = Mixed Martial Arts, and the UFC began as a competition to "mix" different martial arts against one another. Fighters becoming well rounded didn't come until later.

Who started this argument, you or I?
You came at me with this shit, you idiot.

I proved you wrong.

And he doesn't need Kevlar. I said a tree, you dumb fuck.
You didn't prove me wrong. You're still butthurt and lashing out after you showed your utter lack of comprehension earlier, but it's okay. I'll chalk it up to teenage hormones.

A FAL is a 7.62
ARs are shit. .223/5.56

2-0 for me, son.
I don't want to get hit with either. Ballistics arguments never cease to make me shake my head.

I don't want to get hit with either. Ballistics arguments never cease to make me shake my head.

That's absolutely true, but I don't want to go into a violent situation with inferior tools.

In a 1v1 situation, with all other things equal, .223/5.56 is inferior to 7.62.

You didn't prove me wrong. You're still butthurt and lashing out after you showed your utter lack of comprehension earlier, but it's okay. I'll chalk it up to teenage hormones.

Score it 3-0 then, as you are wrong with your age assumption too.

Dude, you are a fucking train wreck of wrongness.

Score it 3-0 then, as you are wrong with your age assumption too.

Dude, you are a fucking train wreck of wrongness.
Is mom at bingo tonight? Staying up so late could be contributing to your crankiness. Just saying.

Royce was definitely well past his prime when je fought Hughes but even prime royce loses to Hughes.

Back