Was Royce Gracie past it When he fought Matt Hughes?

Homervanderjaz

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just saw a highlight reel of the fight and Royce was demolished. However, if it was prime Royce would things have turned out different? How do you rate Royce in terms of MMA abilities?

UFC 1 Royce against that version of Hughes wouldn't have been much different.

WTF?

Lol

He was an old man fighting a young 'beefed up' champ.

One of the worst nights of my life. Was/am a huge Royce fan.

I dont think so, royce was never a particularly strong guy and usually had trouble with wrestlers who didnt know shit about bjj. Hughs was pretty well versed in both and my guess is he would have beaten royce regardless of age.

Hughes during UFC 1 would have been beaten by Royce. It took him learning Royce's art to win later on.

I honestly doubt Royce would've been able to beat any of the top 30 WW's of all time, even on his best day.

Royce could have been in his prime and roided to the gills and Hughes still would have crushed him

Hughes had an incredible Jits game despite not having a belt plus he was great wrestler

First UFC event I ever went too live. Ufc 60. Love Royce. I actually thought he had a chance. Boy was I wrong.

This fucking thread... lol.

Lololololol.

Hahahahahahaha.

Hughes during UFC 1 would have been beaten by Royce. It took him learning Royce's art to win later on.
Hughes was a 19-year-old NJCAA wrestler at the time of UFC 1. How does this relate to the question?

One of the best fights to watch. Early stoppage too.

Again, how does that relate to the thread?

Have you read the responses of the other people? I know you have, you read mine.

You know, responses like Royce could have never beat him.

That's how it fucking relates.

Have you read the responses of the other people? I know you have, you read mine.

You know, responses like Royce could have never beat him.

That's how it fucking relates.
Nobody said he'd never beat hughes at any stage of his life. Quote that post for me.

No version of Royce would have beaten Hughes when he was a champion though.

Nobody said he'd never beat hughes at any stage of his life. Quote that post for me.

No version of Royce would have beaten Hughes when he was a champion though.

Look at me, I'm on Sherdog, starting arguments trying to look cool.

He asked about where you rate Royce and his abilities.

I discussed his abilities and how Hughes had to usurp them to beat him later on.

Now fuck off.

The Royce from the second Sakuraba or Yoshida fights has a chance. Those fights showed he had a decent top game even against a later generation of stronger and better rounded fighters.

Yes I know he was on gear. And I would never favor him over Hughes as long as Hughes had already started training submissions.

Renzo, who had better kickboxing than Royce, could not survive toe-to-toe with Hughes.

Back