Was Royce Gracie past it When he fought Matt Hughes?

Nope.

It's just like Schaub said,

Primes don't exist. The Cro Cop he KO'd is the same Cro Cop that won the GP. Obviously Hughes beat twelve year old Royce, twenty five year old Royce, and grandpa Royce all in the same night.

Derp.

Even a pure wrestler version of Hughes with no JJ ability would still mash Royce.

UFC 1 Royce defeat everyone except Sakuraba.

Truth, it showed how much the sport had evolved in that short time, phenomenal really.
You had the guy who dominated the early years (and could be argued to be the single greatest contributor to MMA) against the guy who was arguably the best fighter ever at that time (and still has a deserved place among the all-time greats). It was pretty eye-opening to see Hughes easily have his way with Royce.

You're splitting hairs. I got mad respect for royce, but on his best day, he gets destroyed by Hughes on his best day.

In that comparison, I agree, but before Hughes knew BJJ, I don't think he could have. I'm pretty sure Severn would have beat him too.

Royce was not in his prime when they fought, and it never would have mattered anyways. Hughes on that night in 2006 was better than Royce ever could have been

I asked how you saying that Royce in 1993 being able to beat Hughes in 1993 was relevant to the questions of whether a prime Royce would have done better and how Royce's MMA skills measure up, which apparently upset you. You brought the vulgarity, the ad-hominems, and other fallacies, not me. And "I already did" was in response to you saying I wouldn't win this. Awful reading comprehension.

Stop trying to use misdirection, it won't work. You got outpointed, just stop.

Just saw a highlight reel of the fight and Royce was demolished. However, if it was prime Royce would things have turned out different? How do you rate Royce in terms of MMA abilities?

Royce is truly from the style vs style era. Royce is not an MMA fighter....he is a BJJ expert that has competed in mma.

MMA evolved wayyyyyy past royce in technique and athletic abilities by the hughes fight.

I think anybody who watched that fight at that time and hadn't JUST started watching MMA knew without a doubt that Royce was past his best-before date.

Hughes during UFC 1 would have been beaten by Royce. It took him learning Royce's art to win later on.

I get the feeling you never watched their fight and are just going by what Royce said after he lost.

I get the feeling you never watched their fight and are just going by what Royce said after he lost.

I watched the fight, and Royce got mauled. But Royce back at UFC 1 was a different animal and if Hughes didn't know BJJ, he would not have stood much of a chance. Severn would have beaten Hughes for crying out loud.

If they fought in '94, Royce would have won.
Any time after Hughes started fighting (training under Miletich and Horn), he would have beaten Royce.

But Royce WAS way past his prime when they fought, which made it look very bad.
Previous to fighting Hughes, Royce got pounded and beaten up by Hideo Tokoro, a 145 lb'er. The fight was a "draw" because of Gracie rules, but Tokoro won that fight.
If Tokoro can do that to you, OF COURSE prime Hughes is going to crush you!

Back