Was I an A-hole for this?

the_Dark Knight

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So this past week I was at my academy and finally had enough. Theres this kid (17-19) always goffing around in the adult class. Talks and messes around while intstructor is talking, while were training a specific move, hes off in a corner training flying armbars and other flying techniques. To make matters worse, now he has this other guy in class on his bandwagon. The guy is maybe a yr or 2 younger than him, totally kissing his ass all class. Well in class hes on this new thing now, where he does that Jacare crawl all over the place. So the instructor lines us up for man in the middle calls him he crawls out to the middle, he comes back crawling, making a scene. The fanboy is loving it kissing his ass joking with him. Finally we free spar, I end up with the little jackass and dont let up, I'm more agressive with thim than Ive been w any training partners. I dont let him have an inch, smother him. And the whole time I keep saying, Josh youre wrong for this, let him have some leeway (spell check), but then something else says, this kid is making a jackass out of the sport being dissrespectuful, and making a fool of himself, you better put this mothafucker in check. So I do..right in front of his number one fan. Was I wrong for that? I just felt he needed the learn the academy is not the place to be a goofball. Yes its ok to joke around w the team, but he goes over board, and it gets annoying

Aslong as you keep it legal, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Why hasn't your instructor handled the problem, or someone told him to straighten up? You don't necessarily have to resort to a whuppin right off the bat.

I think the jacare crawl is an important tool in the BJJ arsenal. I'm glad he's drilling it.

Just because you whooped up on him doesn't mean you got any kind of a message across to him about how he's a tool in class.

Talking to him may be the only way to get the point across that his behavior is unacceptable. May e do it right before you spar and if e doesn't listen then whoop his ass and tell him to walk off the mat like a man that can take a beating.

Or when he does the Jacare crawl out onto the mat ask him politely "who does that?" When he responds "Jacare," say "lets keep it that way."

as long as you didnt injury the guy I dont see a problem with it.

In general we are pack animals, and, just like wolves, we have a pecking order within the pack. One of the appealing things about BJJ is that for the most part we know exactly where we stand in the pecking order, because we "fight" every day. By mentally crushing him a little in front of his friend (someone lower in the pack) it can reinforce his place in the pecking order.

then again, keep in mind that cubs, or younger people, are outside the pecking order. I would really have to see the situation in order to tell if he will benefit from what you did. The good thing is, even if it doesnt help, no one got hurt. That is one of the reasons that I love BJJ.

Everywhere I train that would result in someone leaving via been shouted down and emasculated in front of an entire class. It's obvious that there needs to be someone telling this guy to calm down.
Plus you did the right thing. Imagine if he slipped out and put you in an armbar when you weren't rolling anywhere near your best. That would boost him and probably anger you.

the bro sounds like a tool

You should make him cry in front of everyone. And maybe serve him his parents cooked up in some chilli a la Scott Tenorman, maybe. Just a thought.

So this past week I was at my academy and finally had enough. Theres this kid (17-19) always goffing around in the adult class. Talks and messes around while intstructor is talking, while were training a specific move, hes off in a corner training flying armbars and other flying techniques. To make matters worse, now he has this other guy in class on his bandwagon. The guy is maybe a yr or 2 younger than him, totally kissing his ass all class. Well in class hes on this new thing now, where he does that Jacare crawl all over the place. So the instructor lines us up for man in the middle calls him he crawls out to the middle, he comes back crawling, making a scene. The fanboy is loving it kissing his ass joking with him. Finally we free spar, I end up with the little jackass and dont let up, I'm more agressive with thim than Ive been w any training partners. I dont let him have an inch, smother him. And the whole time I keep saying, Josh youre wrong for this, let him have some leeway (spell check), but then something else says, this kid is making a jackass out of the sport being dissrespectuful, and making a fool of himself, you better put this mothafucker in check. So I do..right in front of his number one fan. Was I wrong for that? I just felt he needed the learn the academy is not the place to be a goofball. Yes its ok to joke around w the team, but he goes over board, and it gets annoying

i dunno man. to me thats on some bitch pussy shit.

first of all. did you address the situation when the time was right? no.

did you give any indication that his actions were out of order? no.

did your actions display pent up aggression and resentment? yes.

did the guy (that probably gets his ass kicked 24/7) read your mind and realise you werent giving him an inch because you were 'mad' at him in your head? no.

as for 'pecking order'. you dont fucking know the guy, for all you know he could have you kidnapped and butt raped in 2 phone calls if he knew what ran through your head.

dont get me wrong im not sticking up for the guy and his bum chum at ALL. i always try to be super respectful, but in a genuine way.

you should just tell him straight up. 'pls calm down im trying to pay attention.' thats it. problem solved. no need for all your emo shit and oestrogen fuelled mat vengeance. the guy probably never even related your hard roll to how you felt about him. men arent supposed to do that shit. and if he found out, youd just look like a proper cock as well.

you let his childish behaviour get to you. you already lost. if i was you id just wait til you saw him again and have a little chat with him like, 'hi etc do you mind pls chilling out on the mat some people might find it disrespectful, and it would help keep peoples focus in the class etc'

remember its your CLUB, hes supposed to be your TEAM MATE.

Im probably the biggest clown in my academy but you dont disrespect your instructor, the academy or stop your teammates from learning.

I think what you did was OK, but as I would have spoken with the whole class and had them all do the same thing until the kid learned his lesson

are you guys all dumb?

why make things more complicated?

tell him to stop acting like a prick. end of.

I really don't think that simply beating him in a roll would help anything. You have to actually say something or he won't have any idea if or why your pissed at him. And I honestly don't think it's your place to even correct him, that is your instructors job. maybe just say something to your instructor about how his behavior is a distraction?

as long as you didnt injury the guy I dont see a problem with it.

In general we are pack animals, and, just like wolves, we have a pecking order within the pack. One of the appealing things about BJJ is that for the most part we know exactly where we stand in the pecking order, because we "fight" every day. By mentally crushing him a little in front of his friend (someone lower in the pack) it can reinforce his place in the pecking order.

then again, keep in mind that cubs, or younger people, are outside the pecking order. I would really have to see the situation in order to tell if he will benefit from what you did. The good thing is, even if it doesnt help, no one got hurt. That is one of the reasons that I love BJJ.

Truth and respect, right here boys!

I didnt tell him anything because I didnt want to seem like a"Mom". I thought if I go around lecturing and saying whats acceptable, I would seem like a guy who takes himself too serious. But at the same time I let his goofing around get to me..so I guess i do take myself to serious

And I wouldnt say he got the message after I rolled with him..but he was quite after that rd, and his little friend kinda up as well

Back