Was I an A-hole for this?

I think you did the right thing. We just got a new teenager in our dojo. Came to class the first day with an MMA shirt and board shorts. He is wearing a gi top now but the problem is that he applies submissions a little too hard during drilling. His first class he tried to teach a whitebelt how to do a cross collar choke (improperly of course). Also, when he rolls he just tightens up and stays in guard doing nothing or lean's on people throats. As a more senior student, I will make an effort to pair with him during drilling to teach him how to safely apply subs but also I plan on rolling with him and showing him he doesn't know a thing. It's part of the process. I know I came through the doors with a martial arts back ground thinking I would do ok, and I didn't.

that's sort of an old school was of disciplining, which I've been on both ends of...the instructor really ought to handle it, but if the guy's being a tool then you really don't owe him any respect, and shouldn't feel the need to help him by going easy on him.

Just don't injure him, and you're fine.

Back