Was I an A-hole for this?

ehh whatever. I don't know if the beat down will do anything, some people are just like that and are going to continue to be that way not matter what.

You were in the right. Some people just need to be put in their place

ehh whatever. I don't know if the beat down will do anything, some people are just like that and are going to continue to be that way not matter what.

Thats why you need to explain things after the beatdown.

We (meaning the brown belts) fixed a WB who was suffering from a bloated ego ( didn't realized we were going easy on him: trying new stuff, giving him a chance to build confidence, ect). He made the mistake of popping off to our Coach about how the rest of us weren't able to throw him much. Coach gave us permission to remind him why our belts were brown and his white.

So, next day at practice: he fell hard, he tapped often, and he was held in tight uncomfortable pins longer and more frequently than before. One of the browns simply told him the gloves came off at the end of practice. He didn't show up the next couple days, but he did return later a much more humble guy and became a valued member of our team.

A year or so later, he brought up "that day" and thanked us for straightening him out.

A lot of people do this beat down thing to students who have bloated ego's and most people don't explain why they do it. Most times that I see these white belts with huge egos get beat down they just come back the next day the same way. Although we haven't had one of those kinds of students in a really long time at my gym.

the question is this. Did this young kid KNOW why you did what you did? Idealy it would be a purple belt who did this and later explained to him gently that grabassing is not to be tolerated so the guy knows what he did wrong.

Thats why you need to explain things after the beatdown.

We (meaning the brown belts) fixed a WB who was suffering from a bloated ego ( didn't realized we were going easy on him: trying new stuff, giving him a chance to build confidence, ect). He made the mistake of popping off to our Coach about how the rest of us weren't able to throw him much. Coach gave us permission to remind him why our belts were brown and his white.

So, next day at practice: he fell hard, he tapped often, and he was held in tight uncomfortable pins longer and more frequently than before. One of the browns simply told him the gloves came off at the end of practice. He didn't show up the next couple days, but he did return later a much more humble guy and became a valued member of our team.

A year or so later, he brought up "that day" and thanked us for straightening him out.

yea but this is a whole difference scenario it seems like that the kid just doesn't know better. In retrospect the instructor should have nipped this behavior in the butt the first time he did this.

If you wanna act like a dick in class I guess you should be prepare to get owned from time to time

that shit wouldn't fly at any place I train

At the place I train at, my instuctor would laugh at me and make fun of me. I would proceed to tell him how cool it is and he would continue to make fun of me. At which point, I would attack him from behind. Then he would kick my ass, laughing at me the whole time. In the end, everyone is happy.

We just don't take ourselves that seriously. We are all there to have fun. Jokes, pranks and insults are a daily occurence. Everyone has a good time, everyone learns some great jiu-jitsu and everyone is happy.

Beating him up is not a big deal if you kept it all legal but he may have no idea why you hulked out on him. If you have a problem with his behavior, I would just tell the guy with all seriousness how he is affecting the class and not let him laugh it off or blow it off like nothing. Ultimately, it's the instructor's responsibility to stop any behavior that is disruptive to the class so talk to him if it's a problem.

At the place I train at, my instuctor would laugh at me and make fun of me. I would proceed to tell him how cool it is and he would continue to make fun of me. At which point, I would attack him from behind. Then he would kick my ass, laughing at me the whole time. In the end, everyone is happy.

We just don't take ourselves that seriously. We are all there to have fun. Jokes, pranks and insults are a daily occurence. Everyone has a good time, everyone learns some great jiu-jitsu and everyone is happy.

The problem is that if you want to dick around on your own time, whatever. If you're interrupting the instructor and stopping other people from learning, you're out of line.

are you guys all dumb?

why make things more complicated?

tell him to stop acting like a prick. end of.

pretty much this. I honestly dont get why your instructor is permitting this though. I mean mine is all for having fun, but if you speak while he is instructing, he will look at you once, if it happens again, he will ignore you, keep teaching, but then roll with you right after... guess what happens there?

Also, if he doesnt catch it, usually one of our upper belts takes them aside and warns them... then again, its only been a select 1 or 2 people, and they havent been back since being properly disciplined. some people treat it like its day care.

The problem is that if you want to dick around on your own time, whatever. If you're interrupting the instructor and stopping other people from learning, you're out of line.

If I was alone in doing it then yeah but that is the culture of my gym. We have a good time. Coach will make jokes while teaching, he will banter back and forth with various people at different times. Hell, even Marcus Soares gets into the spirit of things abit when he comes here. He is still a serious old school brazilian but he will make the odd comment or be part of a joke.

The bottom line is that every school is different. I personally couldn't handle a serious, traditional school. That is one of the reasons I didn't like traditional martial arts. I want to learn and have fun. I don't want to bow and sit quietly along the wall in seiza while the master speaks. You can have fun and respect the coach and your peers. As long as you can do both, have at 'er.

If I was alone in doing it then yeah but that is the culture of my gym. We have a good time. Coach will make jokes while teaching, he will banter back and forth with various people at different times. Hell, even Marcus Soares gets into the spirit of things abit when he comes here. He is still a serious old school brazilian but he will make the odd comment or be part of a joke.

The bottom line is that every school is different. I personally couldn't handle a serious, traditional school. That is one of the reasons I didn't like traditional martial arts. I want to learn and have fun. I don't want to bow and sit quietly along the wall in seiza while the master speaks. You can have fun and respect the coach and your peers. As long as you can do both, have at 'er.

Agreed. An odd joke here and there is fine, we're all there to have fun, on some level. But some kid doing a gator walk when that's completely unrelated to what everyone's doing, and it's distracting from what's going on? What would you imagine would happen at your school then?

Agreed. An odd joke here and there is fine, we're all there to have fun, on some level. But some kid doing a gator walk when that's completely unrelated to what everyone's doing, and it's distracting from what's going on? What would you imagine would happen at your school then?

In the situation mentioned?
So the instructor lines us up for man in the middle calls him he crawls out to the middle, he comes back crawling, making a scene.

Probably nothing more than being made fun of and having to back his shit up. And that was all I was talking about, the gator walk. That is just having fun. Going back and re-reading the post, I see some other stuff that wouldn't fly by a young guy. If coach is teaching, we listen. Sure we chuck shit but we still pay attention. if some one isn't one of the upper belts will say something. I guess in this guys case, the gator walk is just one more thing to add to the pile.

vpewr5.jpg

:icon_lol:

As long as you're not rolling "dirty" (like eye gouging, etc.), then hey do what you do. But like others have said don't expect him to correlate that as a punishment for his disrespectful actions in class.

Last edited:
I'm kinda old school so I don't mind the TS' actions at all.

Could've been more mature about it I'm sure, but nothing wrong with how you handled it. I like watching cocky whitebelts get humbled.

Back