• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Was Edmond tarverdyan that bad of a coach?

He never seemed to make his Prodigy understand the importance of 'Head Movement.'

You mean Edmen? Look at him now.

Yes Tarverdyan is a bad coach. It is what it is.

True but I mean he has not improved when he went to Couture.

If you consider an unranked fight night level fighter a success.

I guess from my perspective, he is not that bad of a coach because he had at least 1 dude who was a day 1 one fighter that at least made it to the UFC. In my town, we have so many loudmouth trainers that make so many promises and yet their fighter doesn't even make it close to being in the UFC.

The world would never have heard of him as a coach if he didn't have the good fortune of Ronda walking in to his gym.

Wasn't he the main trainer of Vic Darchiyan?

Yes, everyone who switched to his camp got worse, Ronda, Browne, Ellenburger all gpt worse and I think the striking guy he had got better when he left.

Manny went from Gokor to Edmond and Ronda got obsessed with training at Edmonds because he rejected her in the beginning.

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: look at the overall records of the fighters he coached...better yet, look at Travis Brownes record before him and after he went there.

A tom in fighters started losing under his tutelage.

What about his boxers, I know he trained Art and Vic. Did he have any decent boxing/kickboxing guys?

He probably was good at first.

When Ronda's popularity exploded, he not only did not attempt to keep her grounded, he actually made all of that way worse than it ever should have been.

Combined with the fact that the dude is also highly emotional, which is the last thing Ronda needed. If she came off over emotional on TUF, he just fed those flames and did the same.

I think he did care about her but got completley swept up in the hype she generated.

So he may have helped her career early on but wound up helping to damage it irrerparably later on.

Ronda's mother def expressed great dissatisfaction with him during this period.
you like ronda too much imoo..

I remember Jake Ellenberger and Travis Browne were both highly regarded in their weight classes...

Ellenberger especially. There was a time where he went on a ridiculous streak and I felt he should have been fighting for a title...

I believe both guys went to train with Tarverdyan and then quit the sport shortly after...

giphy.gif

Yeah, and he just came off like kind of a scammer, and in fact he was a scammer and had his cornerman's license pulled for lying about his conviction for identity theft. He was pretty much just some dude who started a McDojo and tried to take credit for existing fighters who just came to train and he made them worse. His most successful fighters were Vic Darchinyan and Ronda, and both of them were existing fighters who got worse.

1ae967.gif

Travis Browne was 16-1, rank as high as #4. Then he joined Edmond who taught him to "jab the right way" with a little backhand flick at the end.

He lost 6 of his next 8 fights, beating only Schaub and meathead.

Travis Browne was 16-1, rank as high as #4. Then he joined Edmond who taught him to "jab the right way" with a little backhand flick at the end.

He lost 6 of his next 8 fights, beating only Schaub and meathead.
He didn’t beat meathead

Yeah,

Watch him holding pads for ronda - really did not give her a reality check with simple things like holding pads.

Also, his ridiculous proclamations about ronda's skill and his skill - ronda dropping pro boxers, him being able to beat Aldo, that if he fights he's going straight to the ufc (to fight the best).

Back