Was Dominick Reyes vs Weidman a very irresponsible match up?

I still can't believe they booked that fight and considering how shitty Chris looked yesterday it just confirm it, Chris was 1-4 with 4 life changing KOs and Reyes was way bigger, with legit one punch KO power and was completely destroying people right and left.

It's like the UFC didn't care for the health of the guy, I understand his team and family supporting him and we know how delusional Chris is but IMO this was a straight up assault.
It's my understanding that Weidman didn't want an easier matchup, as he was looking for a statement victory to immediately put him into the top contender discussion.

Not really at the time. Both Weidman and Rockhold always seemed too big for MW and that a move to LHW would only benefit them, especially considering their ground skills - not too many LHWs/HWs with good wrestling in UFC. But they both looked significantly undersized. Dom towered over Weidman and Blach looked like a real thicc boi next to Luke.

Mistakes were made.
Overall agree but I think Weidman jumping into the deep end so quick was a mistake.

Chris still considers himself a top tier guy..he would rematch Reyes tomorrow I suspect, if it was offered...

I still can't believe they booked that fight and considering how shitty Chris looked yesterday it just confirm it, Chris was 1-4 with 4 life changing KOs and Reyes was way bigger, with legit one punch KO power and was completely destroying people right and left.

It's like the UFC didn't care for the health of the guy, I understand his team and family supporting him and we know how delusional Chris is but IMO this was a straight up assault.

<{JustBleed}>

1gd2iuj8y7g21.jpg

You are placing the blame on the wrong guy. It’s the athletic commissions to determine if the fight is a mismatch or not. They are the ones who sanctioned it not the UFC.
The commission doesn't matchmake, they only refuse to sanction matches if a fighter can't get medically cleared or in rare other circumstances. Like when Valerie Loureda made her Bellator debut the commission refused to let her fight Anastasia Bruce because Bruce was 0-11 as an amateur (and has subsequenntly gone 0-3 as a pro in Valor Fighting Championship, lol).

I can't recall another time when a commission denied a fight for being too big a mismatch. Particularly when the weaker fighter is a former champion. Maybe in hindsight it was a bad fight but Weidman was a big name and Reyes was a lesser-known up-and-comer with a 5-0 UFC record.

It's interesting because after Cannonier was stopped by Reyes, I know the UFC talked about how they rushed him a bit then regretted it. If he was rushed by being matched against Reyes, then Weidman definitely was. Is Reyes their go-to guy when they want to throw a divisional newcomer or relative newcomer to the wolves?

It should never have happened. Reyes was next in line for the title and that fight made the 5th KO loss in 6 fights for Weidman. Didn't make sense.

It should never have happened. Reyes was next in line for the title and that fight made the 5th KO loss in 6 fights for Weidman. Didn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

Reyes is a great fighter with little name recognition. Weidman was slowing down as a fighter but still had a huge name due to his KO wins over Anderson Silva.

So, the UFC used Weidman's name to build up Reyes.

Using aging stars to build up new talents is a very common, recurring (short-sighted) marketing strategy that the UFC have been using for some times now.

It's the reason the UFC keep Shogun, Nogueira, Aldo, Anderson Silva, Overeem, Arlovski, and many aging lions on their roster.

Am I the only one who thought they were trying to build Weidman up for a title shot against Jones???

Yea Reyes derailed their plans but going in I remember that being the general consensus here on Sherdog

I have no doubt that had The Chris won he would have skipped the line

Blame dumbass cocky Weidman thinking he had any business being in there with Reyes. Weidman thought he was a bad match up for Jones lmao
Prime Weidman could had been competitive, just like Machida who he also beat, current Weidman or the one that got dispatched by Reyes absolutely not.

they wanted weidman to put reyes over so jon jones wasnt faceing some contender casuals never heard of. called it then. still believe it now

This is one of those captain obvious kinda things. In Hindsight, yes sure it was. But go back in time and you would still think Weidmann wouldve had a shot.

A little bit, yes. You’ve got to understand the situation you’re in with a guy like Weidman though. He gets paid good money and as a result you need to book him with quality opponents. You can’t shove him on the prelims against a nobody, even if that’s probably better matchmaking.

They still could’ve done better but no doubt Weidman wanted a legit contender too.

legit one punch KO power? dominick had no one punch KOs in UFC until he fought the chris

also dominick got grapplefucked by volkan and chris is a god tier wrestler
very winnable rematch for chris

legit one punch KO power? dominick had no one punch KOs in UFC until he fought the chris

also dominick got grapplefucked by volkan and chris is a god tier wrestler
very winnable rematch for chris
Lol at god tier, come on buddy

Your a pussy...

Weidman doesnt take easy fights..its not who the man is...and its not what made him champion and hold 2 wins over the P4P great anderson silva

Weidman fights because he loves and lives for the challenge.. Guys like that dont go from fighting for title to fighting someone without a wiki page lol..

He didnt have his cardio right in his last fight likely cuz at 205 he didnt have to do as much cardio work as needed for 185...i expect him to look much better next time he fights with some more road work in him...he still outgrappled and beat a tough juice monkey..not an easy task

Back