Was Dominick Reyes vs Weidman a very irresponsible match up?

When this fight was booked, I legitamately laughed out loud because I knew Weidman was gonna die. Even if it was prime Chris, he'd still die.

Someone like Reyes is just a poision matchup for any version of Weidman.

Reyes was coming off winning a robbery over Volkan, who had outgrappled him, and prior to that a lackluster win over OSP. Barring the size difference, he looked beatable for a strong grappler like Weidman.

Reyes hit his stride here and afterwards, not before. People are looking this with the benefit of hindsight.

Yes lol

Reyes had looked extremely impressive, minus the Volkan fight, and clearly had power in every limb. To put him up against a MW who keeps getting KOed was a terrible idea
Not as irresponsible as Andrei Arlovski vs Francis Ngannou while Andrei was on a three fight skid.

That shit was fucking criminal.

When this fight was booked, I legitamately laughed out loud because I knew Weidman was gonna die. Even if it was prime Chris, he'd still die.

Someone like Reyes is just a poision matchup for any version of Weidman.
This was the closest thing to a lock in MMA

Curious...Why do you think it’s short sighted?

Glad you asked.

Using aging legends as a way to build up new guys is short-sighted, in my opinion, because:

1. It relies on quick, short-term gain (build up new guys) at the expense of the longevity of the fighters who still have name values and fans.

For example, after Weidman lost to Jacare via TKO, the UFC sent him to the LHW division to get slaughtered by a bigger, future LHW contender in Reyes, just to build up Reyes' name in time to sell his fight against Jones.

The UFC might have gained a few extra 10-50k in PPV buys for the Jones vs. Reyes fight, but then they have arguably lost equally (if not more) in the long run with Weidman, whose image and accomplishments at MW are tarnished, and physically, he became damaged goods.

2. It's based on the "pass the torch" formula, a formula that is prone to lose momentum every time it is passed from one fighter to another.

Let's use the same Weidman example.

When Weidman lost to Reyes, it's debatable that the amount of star power and momentum that Weidman lost did not transfer fully over to Reyes.

Let's say that Weidman had 80% star power coming into that fight. After getting KO'ed, Weidman might have lost 10-20% of his star power, while Reyes did not gain an equally amount of star power.

For one thing, Reyes is seen as beating a MW who just came off of a loss.

And when Reyes lost to Jones, the amount of star power he gained from Weidman got vaporized, while Jones gained very little (if nothing at all).

In addition, now that Weidman is damaged goods, the victory that Reyes had against him look even less impressive in hindsight.​

I believe there is already a more efficient way to develop names for new talents at a minimal lost of the aging legends.

Last edited:
Actually no, Chris thought a “resurgence” at a new weight class that could fast-track him to Jon Jones was his idea. And it backfired. A lot like his brother Luke tried. If they both had won their respective LHW debuts, that woulda fast tracked a Jones fight and thats clearly what they wanted as fighters.

Wasnt weidman confident he could make the nhl before be started training mma? Lol i like him but he has proven to be a bit delusional

Back