Warning - Controversial opinion on Georges St. Pierre

Toyeater

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Georges St. Pierre doesn't have it anymore. He's lost it and it showed in the Carlos Condit fight. That's not to say he didn't give a good performance, or didn't convincingly defeat Condit either. It means that GSP has told us he doesn't want it anymore. He doesn't have the killer edge or desire any longer.

I think St. Pierre is a very intelligent, proud guy with incredible self-awareness, which is why his career has seen as much praise as it has criticism. In his post fight interviews, St. Pierre would always apologize for his performance and criticize/dissect it. He's spoke openly and often about his legacy, which shows that he thinks seriously about his career. Maybe Georges hasn't acknowledged it yet, but he showed it to us in his outclassing of Carlos - Georges might be done.

This isn't necessarily a criticism; few UFC champions have had to go through the murderers row of opponents that Georges did to get his shot. If anything, he deserves the right to pick his opponents - he's earned it. However, he is going to get hurt. Once his athleticism starts to slip, he will no longer be able to out-grit his opponents. It could be as soon as a fight with Jonny Hendricks, or it could be 2 years from now.

tl;dr - st pierre should cushion his career with 2-3 big money fights, and then retire

What was so different in the Condit fight? If anything, he actually surprised me how much he engaged on the feet with Condit. It nearly cost him.

Georges has been a very conservative, safe fighter since the Serra upset and that's not going to change.

Yes, he doesn't have any killer instinct anymore. That's why he trained his ass off to come back from a potentially career ending injury and when he almost got wiped out by Condit he fought through it, recovered and came back to beat the shit out of Condit the rest of the fight. If that doesn't show lacking heart and willpower, then I don't know what is.

Get the fuck out.

Solidly beating possibly the best opponent he's ever faced means he washed up?

By controversial opinion, TS means 'pants-on-head retarded' opinion.

GSP doesn't have much in the way of finishing ability, but a guy who takes so much pride in his appearance, which is clearly true, would not get punched in the face for money he doesn't need unless he loved a fight.

I had doubts about GSP's heart before the Condit fight. The way he recovered from that headkick and went on to win that round proved he does have it when push comes to shove.

If he had no will to fight, he would have let Condit beat him then and there.

Condit was his most difficult opponent.

Nobody has dominated Condit in all his loses.
You get a typical GSP fight when his opponent is constantly defensive.

I believe he hasn't "had it" in a long time. He is hugely talented and one of the hardest workers out there, but to me, he hasn't had that fire in him for a long time now.

Gsp has been a safe and conservative fighter for years. But he's still an incredible fighter and athlete who showed the heart of a champion by coming back from that Condit Barrage. I dont think he's done, not yet.

Georges St. Pierre doesn't have it anymore. He's lost it and it showed in the Carlos Condit fight. That's not to say he didn't give a good performance, or didn't convincingly defeat Condit either. It means that GSP has told us he doesn't want it anymore. He doesn't have the killer edge or desire any longer.

I think St. Pierre is a very intelligent, proud guy with incredible self-awareness, which is why his career has seen as much praise as it has criticism. In his post fight interviews, St. Pierre would always apologize for his performance and criticize/dissect it. He's spoke openly and often about his legacy, which shows that he thinks seriously about his career. Maybe Georges hasn't acknowledged it yet, but he showed it to us in his outclassing of Carlos - Georges might be done.

This isn't necessarily a criticism; few UFC champions have had to go through the murderers row of opponents that Georges did to get his shot. If anything, he deserves the right to pick his opponents - he's earned it. However, he is going to get hurt. Once his athleticism starts to slip, he will no longer be able to out-grit his opponents. It could be as soon as a fight with Jonny Hendricks, or it could be 2 years from now.

tl;dr - st pierre should cushion his career with 2-3 big money fights, and then retire

Disagree.

But to each their own.

GSP is still a top fighter. Condit is a tough opponent for anybody.

you got something there. That was not the first fight that I saw GSP going through the motion. I saw it with Shields too. A fight nowaday is like a skill demonstration for Georges. To DEMONSTRATE that he is BETTER SKILLED than his opponent, not necessarily kicking his opponent's ass. Notice that you don't even need to be better skilled than an opponent to kick his ass. The first is a competition, like getting to the finish line faster (getting more points), the latter is an adversarial conflict. GSP doesn't like conflicts so he'll be happy outpointing you.

Well he made his pro debut 11 years ago next month. Long enough time in the fight game

I don't even think this is really a "controversial" opinion - he's gotten lots of criticism over the years for fighting safe. I don't agree, but I don't think it will cause a whole lot of new discussion.

Don't worry, TheRassler will be here any minute to tell you just how right you are.

I can't wait to see Nick put a Stockton Beatdown on GSP. Sherdog will be so butthurt. It will be awesome.

I do see a changed mindset in Georges. He's getting old, he doesn't have much time left in his fight career, and he knows it. He is preparing for the end and that's okay.

you got something there. That was not the first fight that I saw GSP going through the motion. I saw it with Shields too. A fight nowaday is like a skill demonstration for Georges. To DEMONSTRATE that he is BETTER SKILLED than his opponent, not necessarily kicking his opponent's ass. Notice that you don't even need to be better skilled than an opponent to kick his ass. The first is a competition, like getting to the finish line faster (getting more points), the latter is an adversarial conflict. GSP doesn't like conflicts so he'll be happy outpointing you.

I agree. It just seems that for a guy whose whole style relies on taking as little damage as is possible - to continually get into 25 minute dogfights where he takes unnecessary damage/injury seems like the opposite.

I remember an interview awhile back where Phil Nurse talks about St. Pierre and says (paraphrasing) "I don't believe in a punch for a punch. Why do that when you can avoid getting hit?"

He seems to make elementary mistakes in certain fight ending techniques (the right hand versus shields, the armbar against hardy, anytime after frank trigg where he's attempted a rear naked)

I don't think he wants to FIGHT anymore. Compete, yes. But not fight. And that is going to leave him open to dangerous fighters like Hendricks or Diaz. He's been so much better than his competition for so long, it must be difficult for him. Even in his losses to Hughes or Serra, there was never a question that St. Pierre wasn't the better fighter. But he lost cuz he's human; shit happens, you know?

Back