Warning - Controversial opinion on Georges St. Pierre

Georges St. Pierre doesn't have it anymore. He's lost it and it showed in the Carlos Condit fight. That's not to say he didn't give a good performance, or didn't convincingly defeat Condit either. It means that GSP has told us he doesn't want it anymore. He doesn't have the killer edge or desire any longer.

I think St. Pierre is a very intelligent, proud guy with incredible self-awareness, which is why his career has seen as much praise as it has criticism. In his post fight interviews, St. Pierre would always apologize for his performance and criticize/dissect it. He's spoke openly and often about his legacy, which shows that he thinks seriously about his career. Maybe Georges hasn't acknowledged it yet, but he showed it to us in his outclassing of Carlos - Georges might be done.

This isn't necessarily a criticism; few UFC champions have had to go through the murderers row of opponents that Georges did to get his shot. If anything, he deserves the right to pick his opponents - he's earned it. However, he is going to get hurt. Once his athleticism starts to slip, he will no longer be able to out-grit his opponents. It could be as soon as a fight with Jonny Hendricks, or it could be 2 years from now.

tl;dr - st pierre should cushion his career with 2-3 big money fights, and then retire

Everything you have said is like putting 2+2 together and getting 5. If George didn't want it anymore he would never have fought back from the head kick. Let alone get back to his feet and finish the round on top. Only true champion and fighter with champion qualities recover from those types of situations and go onto win fights. If anything George proved he is not the front runner that everyone claimed he was and proved he can come back from disaster and make no mistake the head kick was potential disaster. I am a GSP fan but i also talk in fact, something you need to learn before posting your thoughts. If anything the Condit fight proved that GSP could very well be on the verge of a career resurgence, that could see him once again clean out the next generation of opponents in his division.

I kinda agree but I think the Condit fight was more the psychology of him coming back from the injury than the loss of desire. Condit is underrated.

What was so different in the Condit fight? If anything, he actually surprised me how much he engaged on the feet with Condit. It nearly cost him.

Georges has been a very conservative, safe fighter since the Serra upset and that's not going to change.

That's a myth, he doesn't fight that much differently at all from before the Serra fight

u guys seen this. gsp's debut against menjivar who outweighs him by 4 pounds..lol. great fight & a strange finish though

GSP has passed his prime long time ago but he still beats everybody else in the division. Well Hendricks would maybe win an x amount of times out of y fights.

Hey TS you should have put "must read" in the title.

Nah just kidding.

If a GSP who "doesn't have it anymore" handily defeats fighters as talented as Carlos Condit, that makes him one scary guy!

I can totally relate to your opinion TS. However, I think that it is not that he does not have it anymore. I think he is just tired not living a life he wants to live. After a while, any job gets tedious, let alone a fighter's job.

1. Same questions, same "I am going to impose my will" cut scenes
2. Drooling fans with autographs, you can't probably take a dump in a public place without having a fan follow you
3. He has earned enough money, secured a place in hall of fame.
4. He does incur damage in fights and it adds up
5. He probably wants to have family and kids
6. It gets simply boring
7. He asks himself how long will it take before i actually lose?
8. He asks himself what is the point of it all, once you get enough money to not care about money?

So, assuming that at least some of these questions are on his mind, it is hard to stay motivated.

GSP still beats every WW out there, if that means you don't have it anymore then is the WW division really that shit?

Oh and Johnny Hendricks should watch what he wishes for, because GSP can easily game plan around a bit of wrestling and a big hook. And i say a bit of wrestling because we have seen time and time again how GSP make supposedly great wrestlers look pretty ordinary.

I agree. It just seems that for a guy whose whole style relies on taking as little damage as is possible - to continually get into 25 minute dogfights where he takes unnecessary damage/injury seems like the opposite.

I remember an interview awhile back where Phil Nurse talks about St. Pierre and says (paraphrasing) "I don't believe in a punch for a punch. Why do that when you can avoid getting hit?"

He seems to make elementary mistakes in certain fight ending techniques (the right hand versus shields, the armbar against hardy, anytime after frank trigg where he's attempted a rear naked)

I don't think he wants to FIGHT anymore. Compete, yes. But not fight. And that is going to leave him open to dangerous fighters like Hendricks or Diaz.

Yeah, it's like the loss of the will to kill will cause you to be killed. It's a survival dynamic. Funny thing about the elementary mistakes, he's way too good to make them. They're out of his character. It could be psychological: 1) either he doesn't like to hurt people and don't pay enough attention in training them or 2) he can definitely do them in a fighting situation but either consciously or unconsciously commits the mistakes so his self perception (I'm a nice guy) won't change.

Everything you have said is like putting 2+2 together and getting 5. If George didn't want it anymore he would never have fought back from the head kick. Let alone get back to his feet and finish the round on top. Only true champion and fighter with champion qualities recover from those types of situations and go onto win fights. If anything George proved he is not the front runner that everyone claimed he was and proved he can come back from disaster and make no mistake the head kick was potential disaster. I am a GSP fan but i also talk in fact, something you need to learn before posting your thoughts. If anything the Condit fight proved that GSP could very well be on the verge of a career resurgence, that could see him once again clean out the next generation of opponents in his division.

He persevered because that's his job. If he doesn't win, he loses the belt, endorsements, money, etc. But he's not a fighter anymore.

Solidly beating possibly the best opponent he's ever faced means he washed up?

Duh yeah, that's so glaringly obvious...you could see it as he controlled and beat on Condit that he had nothing for him. So washed up!

This might be one of the dumber opinions I've ever seen on Sherdog.

And that's saying something.

He persevered because that's his job. If he doesn't win, he loses the belt, endorsements, money, etc. But he's not a fighter anymore.

Are you that seriously stupid, when you get hit with a shot like that, a belt, endorsements, money and winning are the last things on your mind. All there is, is the fight not to get finished, such is defined as fighting. Which, and here is the obvious for the stupid, once again considering the facts GSP proved he is a fighter first. He has enough of all the things you stated above regardless, so he is only fighting for one reason, because it is what he loves, along with the feeling of winning.

I do think GSP is the best fighter at WW, however I think the reason he fights the way he does is because that's his way to win, I don't think he would be as successful if he went for the finish.

Last edited:
Are you that seriously stupid, when you get hit with a shot like that, a belt, endorsements, money and winning are the last things on your mind. All there is, is the fight not to get finished, such is defined as fighting. Which, and here is the obvious for the stupid, once again considering the facts GSP proved he is a fighter first. He has enough of all the things you stated above regardless, so he is only fighting for one reason, because it is what he loves, along with the feeling of winning.

Dana said something to the same effect recently.

we're arguing semantics; obviously he is a fighter, it's in his job title: cagefighter. de facto, he's a fighter, yes. but you're missing the point.

i'm saying he doesn't have the eye of the tiger, the savagery that he did when he fought jay hieron, matt hughes, sean sherk, jon fitch, or matt serra.

he's competing. not fighting.

Back