Warhammer 40k

So I got copyright claimed by Games Workshop...

<{ohyeah}>

Started uploading print files for my miniatures on TurboSquid. About a week later half my uploads were suspended, and I got the following e-mail(s) from Member Services:

Now, I'm no Bird Law expert, but I fail to see how the following miniatures:

Or a number of similarly themed minis infringes on Games Workshop's IP, unless said IP happens to include things like:

-Basic human anatomy
-WW1
-The colors black and white
-Miniatures too amateurish to stack up to GW products in any way

Whatever man. Jesus, that fucking company is litigious. Feeling good about selling accessory kits, @JBSchroeds ?
That's horseshit. You can't copyright a specific art style. You can copyright specific models, characters, creature designs, symbols, and stuff like that. None of which you appear to infringe upon. The only thing I could see as remotely possible is the star on the helmet, but the chaos star predates GW by some 20 years, and you don't use their specific version of it (with the ring and one longer arrow).

This is clearly an abuse and they are doing it because they know the little guy doesn't have the resources to fight it in court.

So I got copyright claimed by Games Workshop...

<{ohyeah}>

Started uploading print files for my miniatures on TurboSquid. About a week later half my uploads were suspended, and I got the following e-mail(s) from Member Services:

Now, I'm no Bird Law expert, but I fail to see how the following miniatures:

Or a number of similarly themed minis infringes on Games Workshop's IP, unless said IP happens to include things like:

-Basic human anatomy
-WW1
-The colors black and white
-Miniatures too amateurish to stack up to GW products in any way

Whatever man. Jesus, that fucking company is litigious. Feeling good about selling accessory kits, @JBSchroeds ?

watch your figures be released by games workshop

GW is putting out a new edition already [LINK]. Starter looks like it will probably be Necrons vs SM. One thing I noticed while watching videos:
dragon.jpg
In recent years GW has been a pretty big stickler for art matching the models, and that tail is something the current Heldrake kit does NOT have. They might be releasing a new version with an additional sprue, sort of like with the Stormtalon a few years back.

GW is putting out a new edition already [LINK]. Starter looks like it will probably be Necrons vs SM. One thing I noticed while watching videos:
View attachment 770993
In recent years GW has been a pretty big stickler for art matching the models, and that tail is something the current Heldrake kit does NOT have. They might be releasing a new version with an additional sprue, sort of like with the Stormtalon a few years back.
The nerd rage over a new edition is hilarious

The nerd rage over a new edition is hilarious
I wish they would give the video games over to a 3×A developer and stop fucking around with the lame isometrics. Get a REAL game going like a cod or battlefield version of wh20k

I wish they would give the video games over to a 3×A developer and stop fucking around with the lame isometrics. Get a REAL game going like a cod or battlefield version of wh20k
I find it pathetic that dudes on YouTube create better movies that GW can.

View attachment 770993
The new logo looks lame

40k-logo.png

That's horseshit. You can't copyright a specific art style. You can copyright specific models, characters, creature designs, symbols, and stuff like that. None of which you appear to infringe upon. The only thing I could see as remotely possible is the star on the helmet, but the chaos star predates GW by some 20 years, and you don't use their specific version of it (with the ring and one longer arrow).

This is clearly an abuse and they are doing it because they know the little guy doesn't have the resources to fight it in court.

TurboSquid was pretty vague despite me twice asking them to clarify what the issue was. "Too similar" was as close as they got to specifying where I'd infringed on GW copyright.
My interpretation of their responses is that this is a case of self-censoring. Maybe TurboSquid has had issues with GW previously (and in those instances it might well have been regarding clear infringements). So this time someone at TurboSquid found my models and decided they were potential infringements. Might have been someone with little insight into what constitutes GW IP, or someone who just decided to err on the side of caution.

I found this part of their responses funny though:

With your best interest in mind we have disabled the identified content.

'kay thanks...

If it were up to me, I'd rather let Games Workshop take me to court.
Can't really see how I could take any legal action myself, in this case. I'm selling the models via a middleman (TurboSquid), and TurboSquid are entirely free to suspend models as they see fit. Copyright doesn't figure in the equation.

TurboSquid was pretty vague despite me twice asking them to clarify what the issue was. "Too similar" was as close as they got to specifying where I'd infringed on GW copyright.
My interpretation of their responses is that this is a case of self-censoring. Maybe TurboSquid has had issues with GW previously (and in those instances it might well have been regarding clear infringements). So this time someone at TurboSquid found my models and decided they were potential infringements. Might have been someone with little insight into what constitutes GW IP, or someone who just decided to err on the side of caution.

'kay thanks...

Can't really see how I could take any legal action myself, in this case. I'm selling the models via a middleman (TurboSquid), and TurboSquid are entirely free to suspend models as they see fit. Copyright doesn't figure in the equation.
Ah, so this wasn't necessarily GW targeting you specifically? I don't remember the exact details but I'm pretty sure you can get in trouble for issuing false copyright takedowns, so there should be recourse if you wanted to spend the time (and, more importantly, the money) to follow up on it. On the other hand, if this was TurboSquid being overly twitchy then yeah, there's nothing you can do about it: it's their site, they can remove anything they want for any reason.

'kay thanks...

GW is a bunch of cunts when it comes to IP

I can see Warhammer was a worthwhile hobby if you're really interested in the models, but how is it as a game?

A friend of mine tried to get me into it in the nineties but it just wasn't my thing. He's pretty hardcore about making his own miniatures, in fact working with those tools is his living. He never seemed all that thrilled with the actual game, though.

I can see Warhammer was a worthwhile hobby if you're really interested in the models, but how is it as a game?

A friend of mine tried to get me into it in the nineties but it just wasn't my thing. He's pretty hardcore about making his own miniatures, in fact working with those tools is his living. He never seemed all that thrilled with the actual game, though.
WH has always been a "beer and pretzels" game. Meaning it's meant to be a fun diversion, a slightly more sophisticated version of a kid bashing some figures together. It's never been a very balanced game, and while there is definite skill involved if you want to be good, there's a ton of randomness built into it that can screw over even the best of players. So, depending on your expectations, it can be a major letdown to play. I'm into it for the models and the setting; I've played maybe six games of it, in total, over a decade of being in the hobby.

If you have a good group of players is fun hobby. You just have to wade through a horde of neck beards and power gamers at times

This looks to be the starter box contents. I might end up picking this one up. The one with the Deathguard didn't appeal to me in the least, but I already have some 'crons from the Forgebane set and this would expand it to a decent little force.
49926381038_456002a011_b.jpg
NzbTbIY.jpg

WH has always been a "beer and pretzels" game. Meaning it's meant to be a fun diversion, a slightly more sophisticated version of a kid bashing some figures together. It's never been a very balanced game, and while there is definite skill involved if you want to be good, there's a ton of randomness built into it that can screw over even the best of players. So, depending on your expectations, it can be a major letdown to play. I'm into it for the models and the setting; I've played maybe six games of it, in total, over a decade of being in the hobby.

If you have a good group of players is fun hobby. You just have to wade through a horde of neck beards and power gamers at times

I used to play a lot of Clay-O-Rama at parties. A lot of my friends have been gamers.

Ah, so this wasn't necessarily GW targeting you specifically?

Dunno, really. Like I said, TurboSquid was pretty vague. It's just the sense I got, (or at least get in hindsight, when I re-read the correspondence.)
Makes a bit more sense too. GW actively going after me just seems improbable.

Back