Warhammer 40k

Oh, they absolutely do. Make no mistake, chibi-marines will likely never get another major main-studio release (FW will still have the HH line). It'll be all primaris, and eventually the old kits will be discontinued. Not next year, maybe not even in five years, but the writing is on the wall.
How do you think they go about achieving this lore wise though?

I understand the business side of selling models but I wonder how they go about totally dissolving the standard marines in the lore in a way that is organic.

Last edited:

I understand the business side of selling models but I wonder how they go about totally dissolving the standard marines in the lore in a way that is organic.
Dwindling numbers from hive fleets, a major Waaagh and finished off via Thunder Warrior treatment by the Primaris Marines

Warhammer40k = Star Wars for cynics

Agree or disagree?

Disagree. I always thought of 40K as the rpg version of the 2000AD comics. You know, completely over the top, heavily influenced by NWOBHM (ie metal as fuck), full of satire and borderline Monthy Python-esque.

So it's more like Star Wars for people with a sense of humour.

Disagree. I always thought of 40K as the rpg version of the 2000AD comics. You know, completely over the top, heavily influenced by NWOBHM (ie metal as fuck), full of satire and borderline Monthy Python-esque.

So it's more like Star Wars for people with a sense of humour.
Whenever I try to describe 40k to someone I end up telling them it's a mash up of Star Wars and Game of Thrones or something similar to that but I was thinking today that it is kind of a dark and cynical (grimdark) Star Wars.

My 40k knowledge mostly comes from reading the HH novels and though the universe is silly and over the top it is handled seriously in the novelizations.

Whenever I try to describe 40k to someone I end up telling them it's a mash up of Star Wars and Game of Thrones or something similar to that but I was thinking today that it is kind of a dark and cynical (grimdark) Star Wars.

My 40k knowledge mostly comes from reading the HH novels and though the universe is silly and over the top it is handled seriously in the novelizations.

You should probably keep telling them that. No-one today knows what 2000ad is...

Besides the 2000ad influences are toned down in the modern iteration. You'd have to go back 15-20 years ago to reach the period where they were still obvious. Go back further and you'll find lots of concepts lifted straight off of the prog pages.

I liked the early HH novels, but they marked the point where 40k turned into something distinctly different from the 40k I grew up with.

Attrition
Primaris are almost as easy to make apparently as regular marines....lore wise theres no reason any chapter wouldnt slowly be primaris as they all have the tech to make them now
Once gw is done with that the next moneyspinner will be loyalist from traitor geneseed i reckon.....cawl says sm production would vastly increase if they used the traitor legion stock they posess and theres no inherent risk but of course girlyman said no , i bet this taboo will be lifted in the lore when sm sales drop off a bit
And then hopefully missing legion

Just bought my first 10 man squad. Went with ultra marines as a newbie, have no idea what I’m doing.

Just bought my first 10 man squad. Went with ultra marines as a newbie, have no idea what I’m doing.
Oh you poor, poor soul. Remember, it's called plastic crack for a reason.

Oh you poor, poor soul. Remember, it's called plastic crack for a reason.

Friend and I are going to start off with Kill Team. Put together 2 dudes last night and realized I should have painted them before assembly, having a difficult time in the tight spots.

I’d really like to play Imperial Fists, but I’m going continue down the Space Marine path so I don’t confuse myseld

Friend and I are going to start off with Kill Team. Put together 2 dudes last night and realized I should have painted them before assembly, having a difficult time in the tight spots.

I’d really like to play Imperial Fists, but I’m going continue down the Space Marine path so I don’t confuse myseld
Some models definitely benefit from being painted before final assembly. But, unless you're an amazing painter working on a contest entry (or just really love painting), that way lies madness. If a spot is really hard to get to after assembly it is probably also tough to see, especially from the elevated view of the play table. After some more experience you'll find your "eh, that's good enough" point.

Some models definitely benefit from being painted before final assembly. But, unless you're an amazing painter working on a contest entry (or just really love painting), that way lies madness. If a spot is really hard to get to after assembly it is probably also tough to see, especially from the elevated view of the play table. After some more experience you'll find your "eh, that's good enough" point.

Yeah, trying to tell myself that. I come from the card game arena. The only figurine based game I was into was Mage Knights, which came pre assembled and painted. Unfortunately, I was really into model cars and stuff when I was younger too, so it’s hard to not be super prideful about the artistry of this game. I honestly think I’ll like the assembly, painting, and lore more than the actual game itself.

Yeah, trying to tell myself that. I come from the card game arena. The only figurine based game I was into was Mage Knights, which came pre assembled and painted. Unfortunately, I was really into model cars and stuff when I was younger too, so it’s hard to not be super prideful about the artistry of this game. I honestly think I’ll like the assembly, painting, and lore more than the actual game itself.
That's true for a lot of us (I haven't played a game of 40k in close to ten years, I still buy at least a couple models every year). To be honest, GW doesn't make the best rules around, and their balance is usually sub-par. It's a game that's best played as en excuse to do a glorified version of smashing action figures together: you put cool models on the table and blast the hell out of your friend.

Guys can anyone tell me which book this except is from, thanks in advance ,

When the confrontation came, it was mercifully short. Even the hoses of his suit began to corrode and rot down and Mortarion was gasping for breath. The last thing he saw was the overlord walking towards him to fulfill the promise he had made years before. Then, the stranger stepped between them and, defying the fog, killed the warlord with one mighty sweep of his sword. When Mortarion had recovered he bent his knee to the stranger and pledged his service. Only then did the stranger reveal himself to be the Emperor of Mankind and Mortarion's father.

Games workshop backed animated series from the same team that made helsreach.

Talking about said project.

I've always considered Battletech the sci-fi GoT, to me 40k is kind of a lot of classic fantasy tropes shoved in power armor and shot into space. I prefer base Warhammer, but I like a lot of the character design in 40k.

I finished my eagles for LOTR.
45367100_10214600191133058_421334354707349504_o.jpg

45276511_10214600192253086_2136037371177598976_o.jpg

45407032_10214600192693097_6702241717459877888_o.jpg

45303252_10214600193093107_3965067817157394432_o.jpg

45263611_10214600191573069_8248586684556378112_o.jpg

Try using a very very light grey instead of white on minis. It gives a better finish imo.

A thinned down wash of nuln oil on the white parts followed by a white drybrush would give a nice effect.

Guys can anyone tell me which book this except is from, thanks in advance ,

When the confrontation came, it was mercifully short. Even the hoses of his suit began to corrode and rot down and Mortarion was gasping for breath. The last thing he saw was the overlord walking towards him to fulfill the promise he had made years before. Then, the stranger stepped between them and, defying the fog, killed the warlord with one mighty sweep of his sword. When Mortarion had recovered he bent his knee to the stranger and pledged his service. Only then did the stranger reveal himself to be the Emperor of Mankind and Mortarion's father.

Index Astartes: Death Guard

Back