Ward vs Dwight Quawi at 175

I think you guys are underestimating Ward. Who did Qawi fight that was as good defensively as Ward? Ward had solid power, he could keep Qawi honest. Also, what makes you think a ref would allow rough tactics on the inside if the fight happened today? I have Ward by a close decision in a modern bout, Qawi in the 80s.

Ward had average power and 68 and below average power at 75. He wouldn't be keeping Qawi all that honest, I don't think. Qawi also wasn't necessarily dirty on the inside, he was just very good at that distance. He could be dirty if he needed to be, but a lot of what he did on the inside would be considered completely legal even today (for the people who whine about Ward's in-fighting, the same mostly applies to what has done throughout his career on the inside, with a few notable exceptions).

Qawi all day, every day. I've no doubt about it.
My friend & mentor from my hometown of Lockport, NY, Pat Cuillo fought Qawi & he said he was the toughest fighter that he ever fought. And Pat beat some really good fighters like Mustafa Hamsho, Leon "Nightlife" McDonald & Jimmy Young. He also fought top contenders & champions like Gary Summerhays, Tony Mundine & Eddie Mustapha Muhammad.
Cuillo was one of the roughest, toughest fighters that I ever knew ( he died under mysterious circumstances back in 1987 ) & Qawi walked him down, roughed him up & battered him for ten rounds to win a lopsided decision. Something no one else had really done to him before. Pat told me afterward that Qawi was like a buzzsaw, impossible to hit cleanly & that he felt like a brick wall in there.
Ward was a fantastic boxer but he had trouble with guys who could rough him up a bit like Sakio Bika. Just go back & watch that fight & imagine that it was Qawi in there with Ward instead of Bika. * Cringe *
I've got Qawi via a late-round stoppage or a comfortable decision.
Qawi vs post prison Tyson what are your thoughts? I think Qawi could suprise a lot of people in winning a close fight especially if it was 15 rounds, he was able to take old Foreman's power fairly well.

Ward got chinned by Darnell Boone who's of a similar stature to Quawi -- only without all the extra talent. Ward's wheels and boxing Iq would make it a tough fight, a long fight, but at some point Quawi would catch him and finish the job.

Ward had average power and 68 and below average power at 75. He wouldn't be keeping Qawi all that honest, I don't think. Qawi also wasn't necessarily dirty on the inside, he was just very good at that distance. He could be dirty if he needed to be, but a lot of what he did on the inside would be considered completely legal even today (for the people who whine about Ward's in-fighting, the same mostly applies to what has done throughout his career on the inside, with a few notable exceptions).
Ward falls in with the head every time.

Qawi vs post prison Tyson what are your thoughts? I think Qawi could suprise a lot of people in winning a close fight especially if it was 15 rounds, he was able to take old Foreman's power fairly well.

Oh, OK. Post-prison Tyson? Yeah, that makes the outcome a lot more questionable. To be honest, I could see Tyson fouling his way out of the fight if things got tough for him. I always wished we could have seen what would have happened between Tyson & Orlin Norris had Tyson not hit him after the bell rang. I think Norris may have beat him that night. But, unfortunately, Tyson didn't allow for that to happen. Instead, he tried to foul out again but the ref ( & the NSAC ) saved his ass by ruling it a no-contest rather than DQing him. I could see the same thing happening in a Qawi match.

Back