Ward vs Dwight Quawi at 175

Accordian plan get shorter but get wider. Yeah I've seen him 5'7 too. He doesnt come off that short though
Yeah he doesn't seem that short but i guess it's all relative to opponents too

When i picture Dick Tiger, i see one of the comically matched fights visually vs Bob Foster who looked like Wilt Chamberlain for example

Can't wait to see the case made for Qawi...
Qawi would chew him up. Ward had skills no doubt, but he is the worst spoiler I have ever seen. He turned falling in into an art form. Holyfield said qawi was his toughest fight ever. Go back and watch holyfield vs qawi and then image it was ward. It's just not happening. He didn't have the strength to clinche and use his spoiling tactics, nor the fire power to run and gun. Now I think about it he really had nothing for qawi. How do you envision ward beating qawi? Because I just don't see it.

Qawi beats him down TBH. Awful fight for Ward. Wide UD or late stoppage

It took a H2H monster like Spinks to beat prime Qawi at light heavy. Ward doesnt have that kind of power. Spinks hurt him more than once and kept him honest. Ward isnt doing that. Even outside of the obvious power/size difference, Spinks was a flatout better boxer than Ward. Hes likely the 2nd greatest LHW H2H threat ever to Ezzard Charles, just an absolute terror

The only thing Kov had going for him in their fight was his jab and size and his jab gave Ward alot of issues. Qawis jab was just as good if not greater, and he has more power, longer reach, far superior on the inside, you're talking about the GOAT infighter at light heavy and prolly top 10 P4P on the inside ever compared to a terrible infighter in Kov, and doesnt fold like Kov either.

Anyone comparing Qawi to Kov needs to slap themselves. Kov is much similar to someone like a Virgil Hill who Ward could beat in a boring fight. He has absolutely no shot against Qawi

Last edited:
Qawi beats him down TBH. Awful fight for Ward. Wide UD or late stoppage

It took a H2H monster like Spinks to beat prime Qawi at light heavy. Ward doesnt have that kind of power. Spinks hurt him more than once and kept him honest. Ward isnt doing that. Even outside of the obvious power/size difference, Spinks was a flatout better boxer than Ward. Hes likely the 2nd greatest LHW H2H threat ever to Ezzard Charles, just an absolute terror

The only thing Kov had going for him in their fight was his jab and size and his jab gave Ward alot of issues. Qawis jab was just as good if not greater, and he has more power, longer reach, far superior on the inside and doesnt fold like Kov either.

Anyone comparing Qawi to Kov needs to slap themselves. Kov is much similar to someone like a Virgil Hill who Ward could beat in a boring fight. He has absolutely no shot against Qawi
That's about how I see it. These lads need to go back an watch qawi chew up Muhammad. I wouldn't even favour ward over matthew Saad Muhammad. Or watch ward struggle against kovalev.

Charles, Moore, Foster, Saad, Qawi, Toney, Benn, Calzaghe...

Does Ward beat them all? Unlikely... Those are all hard fights against the elite, and he's not Roy Jones.

But you if you made separate threads on each of those match ups, I'm sure that certain people would pick Andre "Ducked by Golovkin" Ward each time.

Qawi was unbeatable obviously he fought in the 80s so i mean he'd ruin Kovalevs life more or less give or take
Man you are doing yourself a disservice by making this modern vs old guys an issue. You need to set aside your bias and look at what the fighters bring to the table.
Can you articulate why you believe it is not possible for Braxton to pose a threat to Dre?

Man you are doing yourself a disservice by making this modern vs old guys an issue. You need to set aside your bias and look at what the fighters bring to the table.
Can you articulate why you believe it is not possible for Braxton to pose a threat to Dre?

To be fair....a lot of you picked Ward over marciano

To be fair....a lot of you picked Ward over marciano
do i have split personality?
i am one person and i never would have done such a thing. Actually my first boxing coach was raised in the petronelli gym in brockton and idolized marciano. So i don't think i would be picking against him

do i have split personality?
i am one person and i never would have done such a thing. Actually my first boxing coach was raised in the petronelli gym in brockton and idolized marciano. So i don't think i would be picking against him

Didn't mean you specifically

Qawi all day, every day. I've no doubt about it.
My friend & mentor from my hometown of Lockport, NY, Pat Cuillo fought Qawi & he said he was the toughest fighter that he ever fought. And Pat beat some really good fighters like Mustafa Hamsho, Leon "Nightlife" McDonald & Jimmy Young. He also fought top contenders & champions like Gary Summerhays, Tony Mundine & Eddie Mustapha Muhammad.
Cuillo was one of the roughest, toughest fighters that I ever knew ( he died under mysterious circumstances back in 1987 ) & Qawi walked him down, roughed him up & battered him for ten rounds to win a lopsided decision. Something no one else had really done to him before. Pat told me afterward that Qawi was like a buzzsaw, impossible to hit cleanly & that he felt like a brick wall in there.
Ward was a fantastic boxer but he had trouble with guys who could rough him up a bit like Sakio Bika. Just go back & watch that fight & imagine that it was Qawi in there with Ward instead of Bika. * Cringe *
I've got Qawi via a late-round stoppage or a comfortable decision.

Marciano would beat the shit out of Ward.
If he caught him it'd be a fucking wrap, son. Marciano would hurt him and hurt him very badly.

But Ward is pretty slick and good defensively....we can't just discount that.

I just don't care for Ward, so I don't feel that, in this moment, I can give a fair answer.

I think you guys are underestimating Ward. Who did Qawi fight that was as good defensively as Ward? Ward had solid power, he could keep Qawi honest. Also, what makes you think a ref would allow rough tactics on the inside if the fight happened today? I have Ward by a close decision in a modern bout, Qawi in the 80s.

Back