War Room Lounge v70: You have to give it a new name...

Who is your favorite Neverending Story character (from the film)? Choose up to ONE.

• Bastian, bested by jelly jars and fat bullies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Childlike Empress, still better than Trump

• Whooshwoozool the Bat Rider, silly enough without commentary

• The Bookkeeper was kind of a creep

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colleague/acquaintance committed suicide today. Wife is devastated. Pretty shitty.
Really sorry to hear that, man.
Damn. Sorry to hear

Depression is a bitch
Yes, it sure is. Worse yet, it's a horribly persistent bitch. Speaking for myself, I refuse top give that bitch a win even though we're in a no time limit match like the early UFC days.

comedian Richard Jenni was overheard by his gf one morning as she went downstairs to make coffee to say. "just pull the trigger, godamt"
she went downstair and heard the loud report.
shot hisself in the face.
pretty simple really.
but messy
seen way too many sewercides
it makes me think comics especially suffer from this. maybe it's the disassociation necessary to formulate
funny shit or what, but their sense of self suffers and gets lost sometimes.
misery ensues.
Yeah, Greg Giraldo was another very disheartening loss although I'm not saying he ate a bullet.
@AgonyandIrony speaking of people who cope with drugs, did you ever know him at all? He seemed like your type of guy.

Crazy you mention this, a good friend of mine , college buddy and I met for dinner. We hadn't seen each other in over a year. Anyway, he explains why he's back in town.

His younger bro whom I met numerous times, cool guy, walked with a swagger, good looking...when I knew him he was swimming in an ocean of pussy...

Anyway, he entered this spiral of depression and battled with it for over a decade.
Long story short he stuck a gun in his mouth. Killed himself.
Speaking of not tagging people when you talk about them.... oh, wait. Maybe I should change my nic again.

But seriously, if there's one thing that I would really like for everyone to understand about depression--and other forms of mental illness, but depression especially--no matter how successful, rich, personable, popular, surrounded by loved ones, a person may be you can still fall victim to depression. My brother said to me a little while back, "Seems like your life is great, what have you got to be depressed about?" The thing is there doesn't need to be "something to be depressed about". You're just depressed. That's what makes it an illness and not just melancholia.

If there is a reason, like your cat died, or your best friend whom you've known all your life moved to the other side of the world and you miss him so you're bummed out, for example, that's situational, mostly just requires time, and while you might say you're depressed, you don't have depression and you sure as fuck don't need medication. It's like the difference between a migraine headache and a brain tumor. They both suck, but at least if you stick it out, the migraine will pass.
Seeing @Sketch's av makes me feel all 2009 again. Since we're talking nostalgia in here

+ Juan
Fucking 10 years goes fast doesn't it? My life has changed so completely in that time (yet not at all in key aspects, oddly enough) it seems like it should feel like a long time, but it actually feels like it was at warp speed.

@Quipling

This was posted by an admissions counselor who said that the law school applicant that wrote this will probably go to Cornell or Penn.

71245208_10113989044444670_5443971111828062208_n.jpg

When asked about the coded racism:
70904948_10113989189633710_8007813485117308928_n.jpg
Dude, if a cop wrote that I’d be disgusted by the poor quality. This is a person with a degree?

Last edited:
How content are y'all with your level of knowledge?

Like, as a percentage of what you wish to know (and could reasonably know given your life/mind/circumstances), how much do you know?

Hard to pin down, but for me it's definitely under 30%. Maybe around 25%.

Like, as a percentage of what you wish to know (and could reasonably know given your life/mind/circumstances), how much do you know?

I'm content in the subjects that pertain (mostly) to my day to day life/work life I am reasonably knowledgeable on them. As in, I can do my job for the most part without having to ask questions and shit.

Past that.... ignorance is bliss?

Is that given our current age? Even so, I'd say way less than that. Like, I'll be reading a book, and it'll mention a piece of furniture, and I'll have to look it up and think, "damn, how did I get this far without knowing what that was called." My daughter asks me shit all the time that I have to look up, too. And I have to Google stuff from menus a lot more than I'd like to. That's just trivial stuff, too. There are more-important things I'd like to know that I think would be possible.

Yeah, Greg Giraldo was another very disheartening loss although I'm not saying he ate a bullet.
@AgonyandIrony speaking of people who cope with drugs, did you ever know him at all? He seemed like your type of guy.

Speaking of not tagging people when you talk about them.... oh, wait. Maybe I should change my nic again.

But seriously, if there's one thing that I would really like for everyone to understand about depression--and other forms of mental illness, but depression especially--no matter how successful, rich, personable, popular, surrounded by loved ones, a person may be you can still fall victim to depression. My brother said to me a little while back, "Seems like your life is great, what have you got to be depressed about?" The thing is there doesn't need to be "something to be depressed about". You're just depressed. That's what makes it an illness and not just melancholia.

If there is a reason, like your cat died, or your best friend whom you've known all your life moved to the other side of the world and you miss him so you're bummed out, for example, that's situational, mostly just requires time, and while you might say you're depressed, you don't have depression and you sure as fuck don't need medication. It's like the difference between a migraine headache and a brain tumor. They both suck, but at least if you stick it out, the migraine will pass.

Fucking 10 years goes fast doesn't it? My life has changed so completely in that time (yet not at all in key aspects, oddly enough) it seems like it should feel like a long time, but it actually feels like it was at warp speed.

yea, I totally hear what you're saying, I was just trying to articulate in a circuitous manner my lack of understanding regarding depression. thankfully, I never struggled with this. I've known people who have. and for some, just because the world is your oyster, life just fu*king sucks for some people.

I used to date a manic/depressive back in my college days, and I gotta say, that was an incredible roller coaster of a ride.

the highs were great, and sometimes it was difficult to keep up with her, and was fantastic in the sack, and gave the best BJs and was very fun.

however, the lows, were very Loooooooooooowwwwww.

I shared this on Mayberry a long time ago, but often my schedule resembled something like this:

6am: wake up, get ready for School

8am - 2pm: school
2pm to 6pm: job

6:30pm: go to my Gfs apt
7pm: try to get her to stop crying
8pm: convince her I don't think she's crazy
9pm: hold her and convince her that I'm not leaving her
12am: if I'm lucky, go to sleep.

Yes, it sure is. Worse yet, it's a horribly persistent bitch. Speaking for myself, I refuse top give that bitch a win even though we're in a no time limit match like the early UFC days.

RIP Mitch Hedberg

and yes, ten years flies by. I think about the time I made my first account here, the different cliques of posters that have come and gone.. especially in the OT, the offshoots I was involved in and all of the non-sherdog communication I've had with people over the years. People that had newborns when I first started posting here in 06 that are now grown kids.

RIP Mitch Hedberg

and yes, ten years flies by. I think about the time I made my first account here, the different cliques of posters that have come and gone.. especially in the OT, the offshoots I was involved in and all of the non-sherdog communication I've had with people over the years. People that had newborns when I first started posting here in 06 that are now grown kids.
I've seen 3 separate posters pass away while here too that I spoke to pretty regularly.

I've seen 3 separate posters pass away while here too that I spoke to pretty regularly.
Yeah, it's been a while for some the them... Charles/Charlie Brown and Kansas have passed a while ago. HC and EJAXX more recently. Another poster, can't remember his username right off hand, passed away in a diving accident. Conrad was only 33 years old. Who can forgot Braz, he was only 37.

Yeah, it's been a while for some the them... Charles/Charlie Brown and Kansas have passed a while ago. HC and EJAXX more recently. Another poster, can't remember his username right off hand, passed away in a diving accident. Conrad was only 33 years old. Who can forgot Braz, he was only 37.

What about Det Kimble? What's his deal?

Is that given our current age? Even so, I'd say way less than that. Like, I'll be reading a book, and it'll mention a piece of furniture, and I'll have to look it up and think, "damn, how did I get this far without knowing what that was called." My daughter asks me shit all the time that I have to look up, too. And I have to Google stuff from menus a lot more than I'd like to. That's just trivial stuff, too. There are more-important things I'd like to know that I think would be possible.
Yeah, current age and circumstances is what I had in mind.

Something I'm missing that I'd like to have would be fluency in basic economics. Just a 200-level understanding would be okay, so I could follow discussions and evaluate policy proposals better.

If I come across something that I'm excited to look up and study, I don't consider that a source of discontent, but if I'm looking something up that I feel like I should already know, that would count as discontent.

The trivial stuff is kind of a bonus area. It's slightly annoying to have to look up so many things, but it's also fun for me. I guess it takes some extra time and makes conversation less smooth and that matters a little. But its whole "space" in the possible area of discontent is maybe 10% max for me.

If I was asking myself what I would like to know, then I'm at way less than 1%. If I'm thinking of it in terms of what I'm cool with, where if I don't actively increase my knowledge I feel lazy, then that's where I'm more around 25%.

HC as in HuntersCreed? Forgot about that one.

Oh man, like maybe 10%. Maybe. And that's with theoretical knowledge propping up the practical stuff.

I got started late though.

So a local California paper posted a satire piece about how a bank robber was being charged with cultural appropriation. Yahoo News and other outlets picked it up and reported the satire as actual news. Of course, "omg this can't be serious" boners were piqued and conservatives shared it a couple thousand times.

It's honestly hard to know whether it was actual satire or the newspaper purposefully making fake news for clicks.

So a local California paper posted a satire piece about how a bank robber was being charged with cultural appropriation. Yahoo News and other outlets picked it up and reported the satire as actual news. Of course, "omg this can't be serious" boners were piqued and conservatives shared it a couple thousand times.

It's honestly hard to know whether it was actual satire or the newspaper purposefully making fake news for clicks.
Yahoo is known for picking up bullshit stories and passing them off as fact. They always have to back peddle on them later once they have egg on their face.

I hear ya, time goes by so fast. I feel like just last year I was the biggest heel in the WR, interfering with elections etc but now I’ve calmed down and am more chill. A lot of you guys here in the lounge have been cool to talk to and I think we’ve got a good thing going here.

Andrew Yang Unofficial Anime opening. I got to give it to them this is pretty catchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back