War Room Lounge v63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he the BJJ guy that trained with Cael at ISU?

If so that is the extent of my knowledge of him
Yeah that's him. He later started coaching and cornering UFC fighters including Frank Mir and Travis Browne. I noticed that his fighters tended to lose and their grappling seemed worse if anything after working with him. Mir cut ties but I think Browne still works with him.

Now he's selling squats as the remedy to all our problems. Here he is front squatting some crazy weight.

So we're finally buying Greenland.

Nice
WRJwtf2.png

Yeah that's him. He later started coaching and cornering UFC fighters including Frank Mir and Travis Browne. I noticed that his fighters tended to lose and their grappling seemed worse if anything after working with him. Mir cut ties but I think Browne still works with him.

Now he's selling squats as the remedy to all our problems. Here he is front squatting some crazy weight.

Continuing from our previous conversation: I'm following the MSM coverage of the Sanders campaign pretty closely at the surface level of headlines and those network segments that hit the internet. Over the past week, MSM headlines and network segments concerning Sanders have focused on that brief statement about Amazon/WaPo instead of policy or other actually important matters. Out of all the aspects of the Sanders campaign that MSM could have covered, they chose that angle. It's not a reasonable choice.

Hmm. Seems to me that it's a natural and reasonable response to the comments. Bernie's fanbase, unfortunately, is prone to see any negative coverage as an example of a conspiracy against him. He is thus totally insulated from any criticism, but it's an obstacle in his effort to win over normal people.

Seems to me that it's a natural and reasonable response to the comments.
Not reasonable at all when the issues at stake include a complete overhaul of the US health care system, a complete overhaul of US foreign policy, massive federal investment in colleges and universities, and much more.

In June 2016, following the Russian doping scandal, it was announced by IWF that retests of the samples taken from the 2012 Olympics indicated that Kostova had tested positive for prohibited substances, namely Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone and Stanozolol. If confirmed, she faces losing all results and medals earned from the date of the sample in 2012 to 2016.[4] In November 2016 the IOC Disciplinary Commission disqualified Kostova from the 2012 Olympic Games.[5]

<Deported1>

In June 2016, following the Russian doping scandal, it was announced by IWF that retests of the samples taken from the 2012 Olympics indicated that Kostova had tested positive for prohibited substances, namely Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone and Stanozolol. If confirmed, she faces losing all results and medals earned from the date of the sample in 2012 to 2016.[4] In November 2016 the IOC Disciplinary Commission disqualified Kostova from the 2012 Olympic Games.[5]

<Deported1>

I hear Andy Foster cleared her to compete in the next California UFC event.

Not reasonable at all when the issues at stake include a complete overhaul of the US health care system, a complete overhaul of US foreign policy, massive federal investment in colleges and universities, and much more.

This is a poor response. What if Bernie were giving a speech and flashed his plums ("Trump is gonna choke on boffa deez testicles")? Would you apply the same reasoning? Issues at stake include many things more important than Bernie's cobblers, but any journalists present at the speech would be doing a massive disservice to his employers and audience if they didn't write a story about it.

If I get banned I'm coming back as "Bernie's Cobblers"

This is a poor response. What if Bernie were giving a speech and flashed his plums ("Trump is gonna choke on boffa deez testicles")? Would you apply the same reasoning? Issues at stake include many things more important than Bernie's cobblers, but any journalists present at the speech would be doing a massive disservice to his employers and audience if they didn't write a story about it.
This is a poorer response. The testicles comment would justify some limited coverage, but not near-100% of the headlines and discussion topics for that week. The reason it would get 100% of the coverage anyway is because the media is for-profit and is therefore incentivized to publish inconsequential drivel if it will generate ad revenue.

We needed stimulus, and the ARRA was really good (too small, but arguably as big as possible given political constraints), but it was ~$800B. Not anything close to doubling debt. Also, not passing a stimulus would mean a prolonged recession and arguably higher debt. And the ARA, by generating more revenue than enough revenue to pay for itself and cutting costs, was possibly the biggest debt-reducing bill ever passed, though that wasn't its primary intention. So it was largely responsible for getting us on a long-term sustainable path (granting that "sustainable" isn't a great concept here, as no path is meant to be sustained--it is useful just in noting that some changes, like the recent cuts, inevitably cause future changes to account for them).

No no no you can’t talk about policies that promote growth as resulting in more tax revenues unless a) it’s during a boom and b) it’s aimed at promoting spending by those least likely to spend more.

Do you even derpanomics bro?

If the latest world record for the mile had the numerological significance of 3:30 or 3:31, it would have almost certainly been broken by now. Instead, it languishes at a maximally dull 3:43.

I've often thought about the arbitrary cutoff points we set for goals, and how those magic numbers make a huge difference in the importance we place on them. Very few people set a target like saving $49,220 for their kid's first two years of college. The milestone approach is a nearly-universal way of deceiving ourselves. It probably comes at a measurable cost in GDP.

If the latest world record for the mile had the numerological significance of 3:30 or 3:31, it would have almost certainly been broken by now. Instead, it languishes at a maximally dull 3:43.

I've often thought about the arbitrary cutoff points we set for goals, and how those magic numbers make a huge difference in the importance we place on them. Very few people set a target like saving $49,220 for their kid's first two years of college. The milestone approach is a nearly-universal way of deceiving ourselves. It probably comes at a measurable cost in GDP.
Don't agree with "nearly universal", but otherwise yup.

Don't agree with "nearly universal", but otherwise yup.
What do you mean? I guess I can only speak for cultures I'm familiar with. Is there a big difference in some other places?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back