War Room Lounge v54: I was there for Kimura-Gracie, solid crowd

When did you start watching MMA?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fight that got me really really into MMA was Hughes/Newton 1. I was a huge Hughes fan growing up.

PRIDE was life though. I was a huge Guy Metzger and Heath Herring fan, that Fedor fight had me pissed.

It's interesting because there is a widespread norm in our culture that racism is a settled issue. It's bad. Even people who explicitly argue that there's a hierarchy of racial quality will say weird shit like, "I'm not a racist but that's just the reality" afterward. Wingslaught used to do that. Greoric also has gone that route.

Good piece that relates to your point here:

https://slatestarcodex.com/2019/04/02/social-censorship-the-first-offender-model/
Good food for thought, but I don't understand how that relates. I think more in terms of sexual selection and a kind of group reciprocal altruism when race is involved.

Good food for thought, but I don't understand how that relates. I think more in terms of sexual selection and a kind of group reciprocal altruism when race is involved.

Thinking of this part: " The reality is that not all views are created equal, and some shit should never have a platform if at all possible. But articulating that puts you in a weak rhetorical position if somebody wants to make you look like a douche."

And then this: "Maybe everyone else already realized something like this. But it changes the way I think about censorship. I’m still against it. But I used to have an extra argument against it, which was something like “If eugenics is taboo, that means there must be near-universal opposition to eugenics, which means there’s no point in keeping it taboo, because even it it wasn’t taboo eugenicists wouldn’t have any power.” I no longer think that argument holds water. “Taboo” might mean nothing more than “one of two equally-sized sides has a tenuous coordination advantage”.

The strongest argument against censorship is still that beliefs should be allowed to compete in a marketplace of ideas. But if I were pro-censorship, I might retort that one reason to try to maintain my own side’s tenuous coordination advantage is that if I relax even for a second, the other side might be able to claw together its own coordination advantage and censor me. This isn’t possible in the “one side must be overwhelmingly more powerful” model of censorship, but it’s something that the “tenuous coordination advantage” model has to worry about. The solution would be some sort of stable structural opposition to censorship in general – but the gay rights example shows that real-world censors can’t always expect that to work out for them."

Kind of explains the point of shutting stuff down, but also how it opens one up to criticism.

Gotta say, I finally took the plunge and just started ignoring some of the more idiotic people on the site. Like a third of the threads disappeared and it looks like a lot of people are talking to themselves, but it does seem to be a marked improvement.

Might still be racist though imo, just a different type.

It's like the guy who goes, "I'm not racist, one of my best friends is black, I just don't want them dating my daughter". I mean yeah you're not being racist in a provoking manner, likely would never call someone the N word or fly a KKK flag, but the mindset itself to defend that position is rooted in racism.

There's also the new group that call themselves "realists" instead of racists. They are pretty much just old school racists, but they do not outright say they dislike or approve of mistreating others. They say other races are just so different from whites, but not worse (unless you ask them how they are different, and then you realize they mean worse). They say they don't avoid black and brown people due to their racism, they just have "in-group preference" for their own kind.

Of course, when some loony poster is being outwardly racist, the "realist" offers passive or direct support for the racist and never confronts them. Why? Because they agree, and they are just glad some other weirdo on their 5th account is saying it for them.

So, all of the traits of any other racist, but even more cowardly.

Ive been a fan of it since day one...watching it on pirated VHS tape .

After seeing what Royce Gracie and dan Severn were able to do, I quit taekwondo and joined wrestling
Exact same here, literally. But after UFC 9 I pretty much stopped watching MMA until Pride came around.

Thanks to Trump, you can now buy these special edition Crayons, just like Jr. and Eric grew up with:

31840b14150a18a87624b3a1a3be090e.jpg

Is he going to be ok? I thought chocolate was especially bad for dogs.

He'll be fine. I think they have to ate a lot of chocolate for it to be a problem

Saw this online

Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milkchocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog.

He'll be fine. I think they have to ate a lot of chocolate for it to be a problem

Saw this online

Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milkchocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog.

Sounds like he'll have the shits and call it a day.

What brand of cookies where they? What is his punishment for this malfeasance?

I watched UFC 1 live on PPV. I'm not a huge UFC fan, but I do have that little piece of credibility. I may not be the biggest fan, but I guess you could say nobody in the entire world has been a fan longer.

Some young kid got mad and called me a liar in the heavies one day when I said that I watched UFC 1. I think he is too young to remember what a black box was.

I watched UFC 1 live on PPV. I'm not a huge UFC fan, but I do have that little piece of credibility. I may not be the biggest fan, but I guess you could say nobody in the entire world has been a fan longer.
<{fry}>

It's bad for cats.

Aren't a lot of foods bad for cats? Like fruit etc.

They are exclusively carnivores if I'm remembering correctly. They can only digest meat properly.

I would tag Trotsky as he is the resident cat expert but he has me blocked and ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back