War Room Lounge v54: I was there for Kimura-Gracie, solid crowd

When did you start watching MMA?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So apparently telling for brown women to go back where they came from is not considered racist these days.

Learn something new every day.

Referring to Trump's tweets? I remember @waiguoren calling Obama's "cool clock" tweet "despicable." It's amazing how much the bar has been lowered in terms of expected comportment for a president now.

I used to get some real stuff put on puroresu mix tapes, and I had a friend bring UFC 2 on VHS over. Because of a different friend who was a hardcore fan from the start, I kind of watched everything and knew what was happening, but it took me a while to really be a fan. Then Belfort in UFC 12 was the first time I remember being excited about MMA. And then his losses to Couture and Sakuraba (terrible fight, though) added to that. Saku was my first real favorite (I kind of was rooting against Belfort). I still kind of didn't respect the sport until Nogueira's rise.

The way I saw a lot of stuff was there was a video store near me that would have pirated Pride DVDs on the shelves shortly after the events, plus I'd get stuff on eBay. I bought a shirt with the name of the video store (B&J's), and I remember people would see it and start talking about Pride.

Zzzzzz

In one thread we have "go home brown people" is not racist and in another we have someone defending the KKK.

Sherfront is in full swing today boys

In one thread we have "go home brown people" is not racist and in another we have someone defending the KKK.

Sherfront is in full swing today boys
Well, it is the day of the Lord after all.

Well, it is the day of the Lord after all.
What maks it better is one is a mod and the other a former mod.

But sherdog has a liberal bias.

What maks it better is one is a mod and the other a former mod.

But sherdog has a liberal bias.
lol

The dance that plays out around America's racism is an odd one. Since you brought them up, Cap Davis is a guy who has IRL helped untold numbers of POC between his Sherdog Southern apology tours, and Mick is no fan of the neo-Confederate mindset, though he often gives a pass to things that everybody else (of his intellectual stature) recognizes as racism. So while neither individual stands out as a problem, and both seem to take steps to correct for racism, the racism added to the ether by those two is greater than the sum of its parts, I think. It's hard to describe how I think this works, but basically when people say things that can become useful to racists, or have points of view that benefit or cover for racism when used in that way, it's almost like a free lunch for racism.

To be fair, I dont believe Captain David is a racist. He does love his home state and its history.

To be fair, I dont believe Captain David is a racist. He does love his home state and its history.
He loves his home country, which unfortunately for him has not existed in a 150 years

lol

The dance that plays out around America's racism is an odd one. Since you brought them up, Cap Davis is a guy who has IRL helped untold numbers of POC between his Sherdog Southern apology tours, and Mick is no fan of the neo-Confederate mindset, though he often gives a pass to things that everybody else (of his intellectual stature) recognizes as racism. So while neither individual stands out as a problem, and both seem to take steps to correct for racism, the racism added to the ether by those two is greater than the sum of its parts, I think. It's hard to describe how I think this works, but basically when people say things that can become useful to racists, or have points of view that benefit or cover for racism when used in that way, it's almost like a free lunch for racism.

Bothsidesism and the idea that you're not allowed to notice racism (from whites--obviously rules are different for others) unless someone openly declares, "yes, I am a racist," and even then you have to be careful fit that perfectly. Creates an environment where that stuff thrives.

Bothsidesism and the idea that you're not allowed to notice racism (from whites--obviously rules are different for others) unless someone openly declares, "yes, I am a racist," and even then you have to be careful fit that perfectly. Creates an environment where that stuff thrives.
I just don't get it I guess. I do not think either guy is a racist, but they go so far out of their way to claim things that are blatantly racist are not that it makes no sense.

This makes me think of what I believe lots of southern or neo-confederate people are missing when they think of the South (vs. North on racism) - at least, maybe a helpful way to explain it. It's easy to charge the North with racism, as the people were explicitly racist for the most part. It was a question of what to do with all the black people, and how it might be possible or not possible to integrate them, whether they could be taught or could follow the law. Very nasty racist stuff, and largely segregationist. Comparatively, the South was explicitly white dominionist. Black people existed at the pleasure of the white man by God's authority. We don't even get to the question of how to segregate. That was a crazy, un-Christian, traitorous idea to the establishment. We're talking the difference between paternalism and being Pharaoh.

I just don't get it I guess. I do not think either guy is a racist, but they go so far out of their way to claim things that are blatantly racist are not that it makes no sense.
Racism does this thing where it appeals to people's sense of basic fairness. Like, "I disagree, but they should still be heard out" kind of stuff. And it's absolutely corrosive. Somebody that views themselves -as a person- as being more equitable toward "dissent" or whatever is going to be a good mule to truck in racist shit on. The reality is that not all views are created equal, and some shit should never have a platform if at all possible. But articulating that puts you in a weak rhetorical position if somebody wants to make you look like a douche.

Whenever the UFC reloaded or unleashed re runs were on Spike was when I started watching mma back in highschool.

There's a widespread perception among right-wingers that accusations of racism are often made in bad faith for political reasons, and I think there are three different approaches to dealing with the alleged problem:

1. Embracing it. Mostly trolls here, including people who wouldn't consider themselves to be genuinely racist but make racist comments as part of this effort.
2. Copy what they think is being done. Meaning constantly make bad-faith accusations of racism themselves. Even though the bad faith is generally seen for what it is, this can have the effect of muddying the water. So a sort of semi-interested observer just sees it as everyone making bad-faith accusations and doesn't take anything seriously.
3. Trying to create a norm in which an accusation of racism is seen as a very serious thing that is essentially never made (except as part of Strategy 2, which sort of undermines Strategy 3--this is a contradiction that isn't widely thought-through). This is the "respectable" approach.

Wow. Trump going into full on white trash racist-esque rant mode. Somehow I don't think those that spammed the Obama the Great Divider meme will find this rhetoric divisive.

Racism does this thing where it appeals to people's sense of basic fairness. Like, "I disagree, but they should still be heard out" kind of stuff. And it's absolutely corrosive. Somebody that views themselves -as a person- as being more equitable toward "dissent" or whatever is going to be a good mule to truck in racist shit on. The reality is that not all views are created equal, and some shit should never have a platform if at all possible. But articulating that puts you in a weak rhetorical position if somebody wants to make you look like a douche.

It's interesting because there is a widespread norm in our culture that racism is a settled issue. It's bad. Even people who explicitly argue that there's a hierarchy of racial quality will say weird shit like, "I'm not a racist but that's just the reality" afterward. Wingslaught used to do that. Greoric also has gone that route.

Good piece that relates to your point here:

https://slatestarcodex.com/2019/04/02/social-censorship-the-first-offender-model/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back