War Room Lounge V20: Halloween Awareness: Dispatches Blast Yo Ass from a Pumpkin Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in a shitty situation to save money is definitely not worth it. Verily, fuck room mates.
I feel like I'm actually paying more now as these ones don't pony up their portion of the bills on time.

My last house situation. I'd put out the group text "here's the total bill and the amount each person owes" and in a day I'd have all of the money in my account via Venmo. This house, the guy that is responsible for the Xfinity bill DRIVES IN to the Xfinity store to pay when you could just link your account online to pay that way.

And none of them use Venmo either so it's all in cash with a bunch of running back and forth to the bank. ARGH!

Living in a shitty situation to save money is definitely not worth it. Verily, fuck room mates.
No kidding. I've had about half good and half bad roommates. That's a terrible ratio.

No kidding. I've had about half good and half bad roommates. That's a terrible ratio.
Not counting dorm roommates I'm at the same ratio and I've only ever lived in two separate rental houses in the last 3 years.

Woof... time to find a studio that takes dogs as a friend of mine owns a Malamute and they swing by wherever I live a ton to watch football games/fights and I still want to be able to see the pup.

The older I get, the more I work in civil service, and the more I deal with incompetent douchebags the more I become like this guy outwardly and not just mentally.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

I the spirit of the Stephen King conversation has anyone read any of Robert McCammon's work? He's very similar in style and content to King, and did some great work in the 80s and early 90s before retiring for about 15 years. He started writing again a few years ago, I was just thinking I needed to check out his newer stuff.

Not counting dorm roommates I'm at the same ratio and I've only ever lived in two separate rental houses in the last 3 years.

Woof... time to find a studio that takes dogs as a friend of mine owns a Malamute and they swing by wherever I live a ton to watch football games/fights and I still want to be able to see the pup.
Doggies are the best.

Doggies are the best.
Agreed. The fact that the pup is owned by an attractive female is a bonus. Male malamute she got as a "rescue" at a local shelter. Thing is full grown now and he weighs in at like 150lbs but isn't fat/overweight. He's just BIG. And a giant teddy bear too.

She walked into the shelter and heard this dog in the back just HOWLING away and asked what kind of dog the howler was and was told "it's a malamute. Owners bought it as a puppy and didn't realize how big he'd get"
"I'll take him"
"You don't want to meet him first?"
"No, I want that one"

I have three Alexas since this year, and I have Philipps Hue. There also is a cheap Ikea alternative. It's pretty cool. For example you can tell Alexa to wake you up with a slow sunrise in k
combination.

I have adjusted the keyword to be "Computer", though. It feeds into my Trek geekdom and I did not want to constantly say "Google".

I also have a smart thermostat for my living room radiator. In fact, it has become a key consideration for me in purchases: is that thing Alexa-capable?

That's badass. Do I need one for each room? I'm confused on how middle class works.

43663917_10212019275776493_3138163424425410560_o.jpg

43788003_10212019275376483_1282290884544561152_o.jpg

Picked up some furniture today. How's the living room looking to you dudes?

Wonderful.... Thank you for showing us your haven....

I swear my roommates are fucking twats.

Paid the utility bills two weeks ago (natural gas and power bill) and only got money from 3 of the 5. The other two still haven't paid me for it and the water bill is due today and I only have money from 3 of the 5 again.

ARGH! FUCK having roommates. Thankfully with the yearly raise at my courthouse job I am financially in a spot I could probably afford one of the nicer studio apartments in town so the search is beginning. At this stage I don't give a shit about breaking the lease if every month paying utilities feels like pulling teeth.

Time for some of those proverbial uppercuts?

What about post-'97 novels?
I've been mulling this over...

The Girl Who loved Tom Gordon is pretty darn good imo but pretty underrated for some reason. Not a long read, either.

If you ever read and liked The Talisman, you'll like Black House (the sequel)

I'd avoid From A Buick 8. Toooo weird. Reads more like one of his 80's drug books.

There's a bunch of Dark Tower books, but they pretty much go off the rails near the end. His ability to weave his extended universe through all those decades and different, unrelated novels is super cool... but the actual Dark Tower series itself jumps the shark by the end imo. Some kickass stuff in there though.

Cell was a solid book, if you like zombies.

Jumping forward past several other books, Dr. Sleep stands out. Sequel to The Shining. I really enjoyed it.

Lisey's Story and Duma Key are both pretty solid, and have a similar feel. I put them and Bag of Bones in the same bracket.

There are many others. His work the last 20 years has been pretty consistent.

Honestly, i'd recommend starting with Dr. Sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back