• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social War Room Lounge 315 Jonah’s Chin and Tyrannical Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Recent chatter around the real estate water cooler suggests an Airbnb 'crash' is on the horizon. This notion stems from data cited by housing influencer Nick Gerli, indicating a nearly 50% drop in revenue for the home-sharing giant in certain markets.4 days ago"

The Airbnb Collapse: What it Means for Property Managers
Posted on July 7, 2023 by AutoHost
https://www.autohost.ai/airbnb-collapse/#:~:text=Recent chatter around the real,sharing giant in certain markets.

Fall in Airbnb Listings Revenues Sparks Housing Market Crash Fears
BY GIULIA CARBONARO ON 6/28/23 AT 6:17 AM EDT

https://www.newsweek.com/airbnb-revenue-collapse-housing-market-crash-fears-1809543

Who knows, maybe prices will drop in some desirable areas like California.
Thanks.

“The oldest professional soccer player has decided he’s not old enough to call it quits just yet.

Striker Kazuyoshi Miura, who is 56, has signed a new loan deal in Portugal, the second-tier club Oliveirense posted on social media on Tuesday.

Miura has been on loan from Japanese club Yokohama FC to Oliveirense since February and set the record for the Portuguese league’s oldest player when appearing in three games through the end of the season in May.”
Asahi.com
Respect his commitment but blow out a knee or ankle at that age and you might never walk the same again.

“The oldest professional soccer player has decided he’s not old enough to call it quits just yet.

Striker Kazuyoshi Miura, who is 56, has signed a new loan deal in Portugal, the second-tier club Oliveirense posted on social media on Tuesday.

Miura has been on loan from Japanese club Yokohama FC to Oliveirense since February and set the record for the Portuguese league’s oldest player when appearing in three games through the end of the season in May.”
Asahi.com

Jaromir Jagr is 51 years old, and still playing professional hockey.

After leaving the NHL (not until age 46, at age 44 he was the Florida Panthers leading scorer) he bought the pro team he first played for back in Czech Republic when he was 15 and continues playing for them as their owner.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/28/sports/hockey/jaromir-jagr-czech-extraliga.html

@LowManProblems damn it, I thought you still posted here. What's your new name?

Reactions: LMP
We should get Homer, and Fawlty and Trotsky back.

@Sara wtf?

Last edited:
Moved as requested.

Wanting the tax code set and enforced at a more local level does not necessarily mean favoring the wealthy.

It does, though. You can say that theoretically, it doesn't have to, but then you should be able to explain why all 50 states have regressive state tax systems.

As I said, there would ideally be federally mandated maximums and minimums that would ensure that general policy taxed the top 2% heavier, relative to their locality..

FWIW, you can't even come close to funding the programs you say you favor only raising taxes on the top 2% of earners or only starting progressivity at that level.

I would be happy to continue discussing tax policy however, it might be best to move it to the lounge at this point, should you care to do so.

Your thinking seems binary to me in that everyone must be either a leftist or a rightist, a den or republican. Which, I feel, is one of the fundamental problems with this country.

Well, we're talking about a spectrum, which is the exact opposite of a binary system. Saying that your views don't fit on a spectrum is kind of like saying that your height can't be measured in inches. Though I guess you can avoid it if your views don't fit together logically.

Moved as requested.

It does, though. You can say that theoretically, it doesn't have to, but then you should be able to explain why all 50 states have regressive state tax systems.

FWIW, you can't even come close to funding the programs you say you favor only raising taxes on the top 2% of earners or only starting progressivity at that level.

Well, we're talking about a spectrum, which is the exact opposite of a binary system. Saying that your views don't fit on a spectrum is kind of like saying that your height can't be measured in inches. Though I guess you can avoid it if your views don't fit together logically.

I’m talking about a complete and total overhaul of the tax system and government spending in general. You’re saying it is regressive at the state level, I’m saying I want to completely restructure it to specifically avoid that. If you’d like me to provide a detailed plan for that then you’ll have to give me several weeks of research time as you’re asking me to deliver a completely fleshed out campaign policy as I don’t have a board of economists at my discretion. I’m simply stating my personal beliefs in broad goals and terms.

I also stated in my first goal statement that I want these programs funded through a drastically more efficient and reduced military budget, as well as reduction in off the books spending, not from taxes.

Yes, I know my beliefs are on a spectrum. However you repeatedly call me a rightist/republican.
Can you see why I’m confused by that?

I’m talking about a complete and total overhaul of the tax system and government spending in general. You’re saying it is regressive at the state level, I’m saying I want to completely restructure it to specifically avoid that. If you’d like me to provide a detailed plan for that then you’ll have to give me several weeks of research time as you’re asking me to deliver a completely fleshed out campaign policy as I don’t have a board of economists at my discretion. I’m simply stating my personal beliefs in broad goals and terms.

I'm not asking for that. I'm just saying that in the real world, "abolish the IRS" is a slogan for people who want rich people to pay a smaller share of taxes and for more unequal distribution of resources generally. And I also invited you to think about why it is that all 50 states have regressive tax systems (some much more than others, though). If you're genuinely interested in a progressive system that works primarily at the state level, it seems that that would be an interesting and important problem.

I also stated in my first goal statement that I want these programs funded through a drastically more efficient and reduced military budget, as well as reduction in off the books spending, not from taxes.

The military budget isn't anywhere close to enough to cover that. Don't know what you mean by "off-the-books spending."

Yes, I know my beliefs are on a spectrum. However you repeatedly call me a rightist/republican.
Can you see why I’m confused by that?

No. Going back to the analogy of inches, people might define >6'2" as "tall," and <5'8" as "short." Doesn't mean that the height scale is binary, though. It's a spectrum, and we have words to describe positions on it.

I'm not asking for that. I'm just saying that in the real world, "abolish the IRS" is a slogan for people who want rich people to pay a smaller share of taxes and for more unequal distribution of resources generally. And I also invited you to think about why it is that all 50 states have regressive tax systems (some much more than others, though). If you're genuinely interested in a progressive system that works primarily at the state level, it seems that that would be an interesting and important problem.

The military budget isn't anywhere close to enough to cover that. Don't know what you mean by "off-the-books spending."

No. Going back to the analogy of inches, people might define >6'2" as "tall," and <5'8" as "short." Doesn't mean that the height scale is binary, though. It's a spectrum, and we have words to describe positions on it.

You’re basing your position on the existing system. I’m saying I want a a different, more localized system, with greater overall taxes for the wealthy. You repeating over and over again how the system currently is or what rightists believe in no way shape or form changes my position.

Re: military budget, I’m talking about a permanent shift going forward and a legitimately long term commitment. I’m not talking about change in a four year period, I’m talking about a commitment in perpetuity. Obviously at 15%ish percent of federal spending even a 5% reduction(massive) isn’t going to pay for it. It’s simply a part of what I’d like to see.

Even if we adopt your height analogy for political affiliation how can I agree with 90% of left/bidens policies(as you’ve stated) and still be a rightist?? How can I have overwhelmingly “short” qualities and yet still be considered “tall”?

Edit:
Also if you’d like to have a discussion on tax reform let’s make a thread or bump an old one. The core of this back and forth has been you needing to label me as a rightist to put me on the opposing team when I in fact do not agree with the vast majority of the right. You have yet to give me a solid argument as to why I’m a republican in your eyes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back