• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social War Room Lounge 315 Jonah’s Chin and Tyrannical Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to love seafood before I went vegetarian

The comparison is that it's such a broad category, covering so many completely different tastes (a lot of which are awesome), that it seems odd that someone could just not like any of it.

Inventing the Abbotts (1997)

Another crappy film, but Jennifer Connolly is naked. If @Andy Capp is going to watch bad movies with famous nude scenes.
Nah, dude. Just Halle Berry: Catwoman, Storm; drool; I mean, before I was married I would have done awful awful things for that woman if she but asked me to. I personally credit her with likely having the most charisma and sex appeal of pretty much any actress I can think of that's ever appeared on screen. I might be forgetting a couple that could compete but you get the idea.

We've actually seen a big closing of the gap economically. Even when real wages were going backward on average, they were rising for lower-income people. I think you're kind of onto something with the dynamic, though. There was a massive spike in the personal savings rate because of COVID support programs and the pandemic (people got a lot of money and didn't have a lot of places to spend it). People spent that down, which was a contributor to high inflation, but it's now down to normal-ish levels. That kind of thing has contributed to the overall weirdness of the numbers, and I think it's understandable that people are a little confused. Disagree about UBI (I just don't see how you make the math add up). I think that there is a case for halting rate increases, but there's also a case for not doing that, and I really don't know which is better. We have indicators suggesting that a recession is likely on the way, but that's been the case for a while now and the economy just keeps chugging along at a pretty good pace. More increases would eventually cause a recession, but inflation has already come down a lot and there is some more downward pressure on it coming.
We'll come back to UBI lol

Can you please elaborate on your hedge "kind of" onto something? To me it seems very obviously the single largest factor at work at the moment now that supply chains and other issues in the global trade system are mostly a thing of the past (AFAIK).

Also, I meant that it's the experts who sound confused so that surprises me a lot--when you hear any kind of report or discussion of the current state of the economy the huge amounts of saving that occurred during the pandemic never gets brought up. But I totally get why anyone else could be confused.

Anyway, compared to the US, Canada must be lagging in terms of this normal-ish-ness of which you speak. If you don't mind, I'm curious about your take on the article below. I've quoted what I consider the most relevant bits but YMMV.

Canada's unemployment rate rose to 5.4% in June, economy adds 60,000 jobs

The Canadian labour market is showing some signs of softening as the unemployment rate rises and wage growth slows, but with another solid job gain last month, forecasters are still expecting a rate hike next week.

Statistics Canada reported Friday the economy added 60,000 jobs in June, far more than was estimated by economists and driven by gains in full-time work.

But as more people searched for work and the population continued to grow, the unemployment rate rose to 5.4 per cent — the highest it's been in over a year.

That's up from 5.2 per cent in May, marking the second month in a row the unemployment rate has risen as economists watch for softening in the labour market amid high interest rates.

"The rapidly growing labour force, which was also helped along by a rise in participation, will further ease some of the labour shortages reported by employers," wrote Desjardins economist Royce Mendes in a note.

The loosening of the labour market likely comes as good news to the Bank of Canada, which is looking for signs that its aggressive rate hikes are working to cool the economy.

But forecasters are still expecting the central bank to raise interest rates at its next interest rate decision on Wednesday. The current pace of hiring likely exceeded the central bank's expectations when it paused its rate hikes earlier this year, according to Mendes.

"The return to solid job growth in June should, therefore, lock in a second consecutive 25bp rate increase next week as central bankers scramble to tamp down the surprisingly resilient economy and resultant excess inflationary pressures," he wrote.

The central bank opted to end its pause on rate hikes in June after a string of economic data suggested interest rates weren't high enough.

The quarter percentage point rate hike brought its key interest rate to 4.75 per cent, the highest it has been since 2001.

The central bank has said repeatedly that Canada's hot labour market is contributing to high inflation, raising concerns about the pace of wage growth in particular.

However, Statistics Canada said year-over-year wage growth slowed significantly last month, rising 4.2 per cent from a year ago. That compared with a year-over-year gain of 5.1 per cent in May.

The central bank hasn't given any clear indication of its plans, saying it will make its decision based on the economic data.

My concern with rate hikes is the lag between when they occur and when the real effects on the economy are felt, and that this lag will lead to a recession that didn't need to occur, as spending perhaps slows dramatically while rates remain high, not to mention employment numbers tanking, presumably. Again, I am no expert, but I think it's a genuine possibility. Do you?

Last edited:
oh ya? what degenerate dumpster fire of an idea y'all rolling out next?
LMAO
Aaaaaaaaannnd......

03c40b88-62ee-4284-8887-49c1ceabfc84_text.gif

Did he get the hammer? Damn that was fasssst. Is that like a PR time for an Alt account?

If you request a ban because you were on dubs, you don't get to come back and pickup where you left off.
With all bans, assuming they aren't on the ban on sight list, the idea is that you sneak back in and keep a low profile.
Not that you just add a number to the end of your previous user name and come back and start bumping your old threads.
The only exception has been for posters that made account bets or requested bans to help them focus on higher priorities.

If you request a ban because you were on dubs, you don't get to come back and pickup where you left off.
With all bans, assuming they aren't on the ban on sight list, the idea is that you sneak back in and keep a low profile.
Not that you just add a number to the end of your previous user name and come back and start bumping your old threads.
The only exception has been for posters that made account bets or requested bans to help them focus on higher priorities.

Ah roger. Appreciate all the informative mod posts of late in here. Even if I happen to not agree sometimes it’s nice to know there’s a frame work of reasoning.

I get that, I requested a ban on my previous account for similar reasons if memory serves.

Ah roger. Appreciate all the informative mod posts of late in here. Even if I happen to not agree sometimes it’s nice to know there’s a frame work of reasoning.

I get that, I requested a ban on my previous account for similar reasons if memory serves.

It's not really just a matter of ban requests and sneaking back in after bans though.
Generally speaking, if you make mod call out threads in the WR and rage quit because your thread making ability is removed and your CT threads are sent to the CT subforum (aka The Great Beyond), your chances of making an account last on the third or so go around probably aren't great regardless.

@tonni tried to pull that stunt with me while pretending like he wasn't the one that reported me.

That was one weird dude..
He sent me a PM with a pic of him...
And then went all" LOL you cant show anybody because you will get bant"
WTF?
Weird weird dude.

That was one weird dude..
He sent me a PM with a pic of him...
And then went all" LOL you cant show anybody because you will get bant"
WTF?
Weird weird dude.
<WhatIsThis>Lol what?

Status