Want to start training BJJ for first time. Advice?

I'm going to start right away on the Gracie Diet. I've been reading a lot into it and it looks great.

Ehh, I wouldn't bother.

By the way, where are you looking to train? It's important to find a qualified instructor, who is actually ranked in BJJ (if that's what you want to train) and not some other style, or nothing at all (which happens in some cases).

No you don't. You think you do, but you don't. I was the same way when I started.

I agree, don't go in there thinking you know any transitions to anything from anything because you watch MMA. The only leg up you have from watching MMA is being familiar with some of the vocabulary.

As much as I like MMA, I think it's detrimental when people watch it and then walk into a BJJ gym. I think you'd be in a much better position to learn objectively if you'd have never seen MMA before you started.

Have fun, roll as much as possible and be safe. Make sure to ask a lot of questions and try to keep a log. Also keep your stuff clean.

If you get too obsessed too fast, you will definitely lose interest quickly. No need to obsess about diet already. At this stage 99% of your focus should be on your training, and whatever that other 1% is, it's not a gimmicky diet.
Well I really need to change my diet anyway. I have quite a few minor/moderate food allergies that I regularly eat. And plus I haven't been eating hardly anything the past 3 weeks, so that needs to change. Might as well start fresh on a better suited diet for my body.
As someone who just started last week, know this: Your ego will be as bruised as your body. Just last night I got swept, passed, mounted, and submitted by a guy 2 inches shorter and 100 pounds lighter than me. He has 4 months experience.

By the same token, I was able to pass and submit someone closer to my size (I only had a 60 pound advantage), and it felt great.

You will not be good, regardless of how much MMA you've watched. Just because you know what a triangle is, doesn't mean you know how to transition from closed guard to open guard control, into a triangle and properly execute it. I remember my first night we were learning triangles and I could not tap my partner no matter what I did. Turns out I didn't know shit about proper leg positioning or how to place his arms to tighten it.

Above all else, just be willing to learn :)
Excellent advice tyvm :D
No you don't. You think you do, but you don't. I was the same way when I started.

Training will give you the conditioning you need. BJJ is the best thing to do to get in shape for bjj. I'm the same size as you (a bit shorter), so let me tell you that size does matter, and the bigger guys will smash you for a good long while. The more someone outweighs you, the more of a skill advantage over him you need in order to at least survive.

Best of luck!

Haha yeah I understand that. It's going to be real tough for awhile but I'll hang in there and get in shape while getting better and better.

Focus on moving rather than on winning the sparring
Focus on positions rather than submissions
Tap out a lot (it helps you try a lot of different positions)
Dont overcommit to subs
Stay relaxed during the sparring and focus on your breathing
Try training with people your size

have fun...

Ehh, I wouldn't bother.

By the way, where are you looking to train? It's important to find a qualified instructor, who is actually ranked in BJJ (if that's what you want to train) and not some other style, or nothing at all (which happens in some cases).

I'm currently likely going to join a place called Primal Martial Arts. They have BJJ classes and other MMA related classes, I believe MT, boxing, and some others perhaps. It's a good looking place but I haven't heard about the instructors experience. I'll be moving to western Washington in a couple months anyway so i'll have to find a good school down there.

I'm going to join a local BJJ/MMA gym, I don't plan on competing but ya never know. Does anyone have any advice for someone who has never trained a martial art before? I'm 5'9 about 140-145 lbs. My cardio is kinda weak cause I havent been too healthy lately but I'm going to start running everyday to get some cardio back hopefully.

Anyway, any advice would be great.

Running is good, but it won't help with BJJ cardio. Actually you'll get better BJJ cardio by rolling. Just go in and listen, do your best, and show up regularly.

If I could tell myself something when I started... I would say... be really careful with your body and avoid injuries at all costs. Really this applies at all levels... but especially for folks just starting out.

Listen to your body. I got injured a lot starting out because I pushed myself too hard. It took a while for me to get in a groove and learn how to move without getting hurt. Tap quickly... Until you learn more about submissions you aren't going to know how to defend correctly and can get yourself hurt trying to escape.

I'm currently likely going to join a place called Primal Martial Arts. They have BJJ classes and other MMA related classes, I believe MT, boxing, and some others perhaps. It's a good looking place but I haven't heard about the instructors experience. I'll be moving to western Washington in a couple months anyway so i'll have to find a good school down there.

Well, according to the instructors page, they are only trained in Tae Kwon Do, and possible some judo, aikido, or random jujitsu style. I wouldn't train there if you are looking for anything like MMA, or even the components of MMA. I mean if it's the only thing around (after all you're in Alaska), then I guess you have no choice. But I know that there are many qualified instructors in Washington.

You will be fine man, just get in there and train. Bring water and workout clothes and be respectful to everyone. When you are rolling save your energy and breath, no need to spazz out at 100% speed.

And wash your gi right after EVERY class, and shower right after EVERY class. Nobody likes the smelly guy.

Last edited:
I'm going to join a local BJJ/MMA gym, I don't plan on competing but ya never know. Does anyone have any advice for someone who has never trained a martial art before? I'm 5'9 about 140-145 lbs. My cardio is kinda weak cause I havent been too healthy lately but I'm going to start running everyday to get some cardio back hopefully.

Anyway, any advice would be great.

If possible after each round, ask your partner questions/what you did wrong/etc...
Take their advice and try apply it next class, while continue to ask questions.

I've been doing it for 2 months now. 2 things that worked trememdously for me (a total beginner) was:
a) to stretch every day
b) eat well every day

If you eat crap, you will get gassed quickly. If you eat good food, you will have the stored energy. And stretching helps me get in better positions. I stretch every single day for at least 10 mins.

I've been doing it for 2 months now. 2 things that worked trememdously for me (a total beginner) was:
a) to stretch every day
b) eat well every day

If you eat crap, you will get gassed quickly. If you eat good food, you will have the stored energy. And stretching helps me get in better positions. I stretch every single day for at least 10 mins.

What kind of stretches and exercises do you recommend I could do at home?

Well, according to the instructors page, they are only trained in Tae Kwon Do, and possible some judo, aikido, or random jujitsu style. I wouldn't train there if you are looking for anything like MMA, or even the components of MMA. I mean if it's the only thing around (after all you're in Alaska), then I guess you have no choice. But I know that there are many qualified instructors in Washington.

Excellent thanks for the info. I'll do some more research on local instructor's credentials and see if I can find a legit school. If not though, I can always spend the next two months preparing myself as much as possible for when I move to WA and find a good school.

you have to understand you will get smashed for a long time. most people can't get passed that. I guess I was able to get by because people even newer than me would start and I could atleast tap them in the beginning.

you will need to start learning the basics of guard posture and breaking. almost everything starts from guard, imo.

don't no what school you train at but,they don't allow the higher grades to smash the beginners at our school

don't no what school you train at but,they don't allow the higher grades to smash the beginners at our school

I wonder how common that is.

Shit I can't wait to move and start training. I'll be finding a good MT school as well.

control your breathing ( really helped me save my energy when i started to do this)
dont go all out
dont spazz
i cant tell you how many other fellow whitebelts i see who like to go really hard and they dont really learn anything. just the other day i got a compliment from one of my higher belt teamates he said "i love rolling with you, you are a controlled whitebelt" it made me feel so good because i try so hard to not be just another white belt who spazzes and people are hesitant to roll with.

invest in some earguards. and apparently buttplugs too...

invest in some earguards. and apparently buttplugs too...

right, buttplugs, so annoying when 3 or more fellow BJJ students fart while rolling or drilling a technique, as if it is too common to do...:mad:

Back