Want to start training BJJ for first time. Advice?

If you can leave your ego at the door and don't care if you don't look cool you can make it to blue.

Don't get discouraged, and keep on training as much as possible.

i just started BJJ about a month and a half ago and like everyone else has said, expect to get worked over a lot. i would say ask lots of question everyone at my gym is always very willing to answer questions and even replay the move they used to submit me. Just be very willing to learn and walk into the gym with a goal to learn at least one new thing. Whether its an escape a submission or anything in between. I would also say if you have the chance roll with the upper level belts like browns and blacks if you get the chance. They will probably submit you every 10 seconds but they will also have a lot knowledge and will be able to tell you what your doing wrong. Plus if you roll with those guys a lot, rolling with another white belt will be a cake walk. I roll with one of my instructors who's a black belt as much as possible and he destroys me but when i roll with other white belts i can almost always pull off a submission or at least hold a dominant position for the round.

Back