Want to start training BJJ for first time. Advice?

Kinebud***

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to join a local BJJ/MMA gym, I don't plan on competing but ya never know. Does anyone have any advice for someone who has never trained a martial art before? I'm 5'9 about 140-145 lbs. My cardio is kinda weak cause I havent been too healthy lately but I'm going to start running everyday to get some cardio back hopefully.

Anyway, any advice would be great.

I'm going to join a local BJJ/MMA gym, I don't plan on competing but ya never know. Does anyone have any advice for someone who has never trained a martial art before? I'm 5'9 about 140-145 lbs. My cardio is kinda weak cause I havent been too healthy lately but I'm going to start running everyday to get some cardio back hopefully.

you have to understand you will get smashed for a long time. most people can't get passed that. I guess I was able to get by because people even newer than me would start and I could atleast tap them in the beginning.

you will need to start learning the basics of guard posture and breaking. almost everything starts from guard, imo.

you have to understand you will get smashed for a long time. most people can't get passed that. I guess I was able to get by because people even newer than me would start and I could atleast tap them in the beginning.

you will need to start learning the basics of guard posture and breaking. almost everything starts from guard, imo.

I'm sure I will get my ass handed to me for awhile. I know bjj transitions and submissions and somewhat how to defend some just from watching so much damn MMA. But I know that really doesn't mean shit until I start doing it and actually training. But I'm fine with getting owned for awhile in order to get good

You will build your cardio base by rolling. Running won't really prepare you though wind sprints are recommended because it does require short bursts of energy. Expect to gas easily initially because your cardio is weak and you will try to muscle every move

In the beginning you will flail around like a fish out of water. It will suck. Check your ego at the door. If you can't handle getting pwned repeatedly, you won't last long. I watched tons of MMA and also viewed many instructional videos before I started thinking I would blow through the other newbs. I was wrong. A girl that I outweighed by 60 pounds thoroughly destroyed me in my second week, passing from side control to mount and guard to side control on me like butter. There are times in the beginning where you will want to quit. You'll start to get those feelings of self doubt that you had as an awkward teenager.

Watch all the little details in your instructor's demonstration. Many just get caught up in executing a triangle from guard that your instructor may show you without commiting to memory all the intermediate steps. I literally attach a number to each "step" of a move because it helps me remember.

Do your moves in SLOW MOTION. People get too caught up in performing techniques as fast as possible. Speed and quickness will come with experience, so focus on getting the technique right, even if it takes you longer to do it.

Finally get as much mat time as possible. Going 4 times a week is better than 2 times a week obviously. I work 60 hours a week so it's hard for me but I do get my days in. My instructor told something some what obvious one time but that stuck with me, he said people always talk about how many "years" they've trained, what really matters is how many DAYS you've trained.

Last edited:

Get used to body odor.

Just kidding, good for you for wanting to learn something new.

Everybody here is speaking truthfully, it's very nice. I'm in the beginning of my training (3 weeks in) and I've been getting smashed by the blue belts and above. It sucks, but if you can put your ego aside and focus on becoming a better grappler and individual, please persist :) It's totally worth it, as just about every BJJ practitioner says.

Learn the side check kick well...maybe one day you'll be one of them death fighters.

It's like anything else, if you put your time into it, you'll get results. Don't expect to beat anybody that's been doing it monger than you. Experience is the best teacher.

Awesome thanks for all the advice people.

When people are starting out, how does the training begin usually? Put new guys against each other while learning techniques, or right away against higher level guys? I have no idea how it all beings, I just want to know what to expect.

And yeah I'm totally fine with getting my ass kicked for awhile. With time, I'll be the one doin the ass kickin.

I'm going to start right away on the Gracie Diet. I've been reading a lot into it and it looks great.

Eat healthy don't worry about diets.
Go and listern watch and learn.
You pair up and learn new move together. Don't worry about when or who you will roll with first just learn

I just started training BJJ as well. I had little/ no experience on the ground before a month ago.
At the academy I go to, they basically just threw me in. My instructor didn't move to the side and individually teach me some moves right away. He wanted to see how I moved naturally first.
The first few classes, i obviously got my shit pushed in as everyone says will happen. haha.
eventually, i started being able to defend myself(somewhat) from all the chokes, and locks, etc. Once I started being able to roll without constantly getting submitted, my instructor took me aside. There, he taught me a few basic things. how to close up my guard, how to pass guard, what half guard is, side control, taking the back, mount, all the easy shit.
Then I learned 2 or 3 moves from my guard. Slowly but surely, I've gotten better. Its only been a month but I'm really seeing results. I plan on sticking with it for a long time. it's a ton of fun man, good luck.

I just started training BJJ as well. I had little/ no experience on the ground before a month ago.
At the academy I go to, they basically just threw me in. My instructor didn't move to the side and individually teach me some moves right away. He wanted to see how I moved naturally first.
The first few classes, i obviously got my shit pushed in as everyone says will happen. haha.
eventually, i started being able to defend myself(somewhat) from all the chokes, and locks, etc. Once I started being able to roll without constantly getting submitted, my instructor took me aside. There, he taught me a few basic things. how to close up my guard, how to pass guard, what half guard is, side control, taking the back, mount, all the easy shit.
Then I learned 2 or 3 moves from my guard. Slowly but surely, I've gotten better. Its only been a month but I'm really seeing results. I plan on sticking with it for a long time. it's a ton of fun man, good luck.

Awesome man I can't wait to start :D

My advice is don't start training with a super humble attitude, assuming that everyone else is a million miles ahead of you. It's hard to shake the inferiority complex once it sets in. Just have a "blank" mind if possible.

Everybody here is speaking truthfully, it's very nice. I'm in the beginning of my training (3 weeks in) and I've been getting smashed by everyone. It sucks, but if you can put your ego aside and focus on becoming a better grappler and individual, please persist :) It's totally worth it, as just about every BJJ practitioner says.

Fixed that for you.

Awesome thanks for all the advice people.

When people are starting out, how does the training begin usually? Put new guys against each other while learning techniques, or right away against higher level guys? I have no idea how it all beings, I just want to know what to expect.

And yeah I'm totally fine with getting my ass kicked for awhile. With time, I'll be the one doin the ass kickin.

I'm going to start right away on the Gracie Diet. I've been reading a lot into it and it looks great.

If you get too obsessed too fast, you will definitely lose interest quickly. No need to obsess about diet already. At this stage 99% of your focus should be on your training, and whatever that other 1% is, it's not a gimmicky diet.

Don't be surprised if they don't you roll your first class or two. They may want you to watch and see others' rolling etiquette, basic rules, possible moves, etc. Watching others roll will really open your mind to the possibilities and gives you an example of how you should roll.

Every school and partner is different - some roll all-out while others focus on "flowing," or rolling at about 40% of your strength. Always talk to your partner and ask questions if you're not sure.

Also, there is the rare school that does not allow newbie to live roll at all for the first couple months. Very rare though.

Just be impressed with everything that happens. I spent 10 minutes of a 30 minute grappling session just watching people grapple because I was so interested. I then grappled and actually appeared to have improved based on taking in what I had seen.

As someone who just started last week, know this: Your ego will be as bruised as your body. Just last night I got swept, passed, mounted, and submitted by a guy 2 inches shorter and 100 pounds lighter than me. He has 4 months experience.

By the same token, I was able to pass and submit someone closer to my size (I only had a 60 pound advantage), and it felt great.

You will not be good, regardless of how much MMA you've watched. Just because you know what a triangle is, doesn't mean you know how to transition from closed guard to open guard control, into a triangle and properly execute it. I remember my first night we were learning triangles and I could not tap my partner no matter what I did. Turns out I didn't know shit about proper leg positioning or how to place his arms to tighten it.

Above all else, just be willing to learn :)

Just keep going. You will get better.

I know bjj transitions and submissions and somewhat how to defend some just from watching so much damn MMA.

No you don't. You think you do, but you don't. I was the same way when I started.

Training will give you the conditioning you need. BJJ is the best thing to do to get in shape for bjj. I'm the same size as you (a bit shorter), so let me tell you that size does matter, and the bigger guys will smash you for a good long while. The more someone outweighs you, the more of a skill advantage over him you need in order to at least survive.

Best of luck!

Back