W&T General Discussion Thread

0*YHE9DT5gr9moHUIy.png
I own that shirt in black.

I gotta say, because of the ban announcement, this is the most active I've been on Sherdog in the last 8 or so months, since moving.

If I had more disposable income, if I didn't have a mortgage and if there wasn't a lockdown, I would have went out and bought a gun immediately...and then sold it to "Mike from Canmore"; the Canadian equivalent of a boating accident.

I gotta say, because of the ban announcement, this is the most active I've been on Sherdog in the last 8 or so months, since moving.

If I had more disposable income, if I didn't have a mortgage and if there wasn't a lockdown, I would have went out and bought a gun immediately...and then sold it to "Mike from Canmore"; the Canadian equivalent of a boating accident.

I found out yesterday from @Lord Coke that the impending new Hawaii legislation is now shelved because of Covid. Of particular annoyance was banning rifle mags that hold more than 10 rounds. Too bad the virus didn't take out Trudeau.

Made an apocalypse purchase a few weeks ago:

To preface the story, last year I bought my first gun for target shooting and home defense, I'm not normally a gun guy per se, and went with the hi point c9 because I'm a broke ass and a new shooter with basic needs. No complaints, works perfectly and i love it.

Back to the new buy story. The beginning of the coronapocalypse left me feeling like I was unprepared if shit really did get wild and i had to live in the woods and hunt squirrels, or defend myself from a horde of itchy buttholed TP looters, so I started considering getting some kind of rifle, as the pistol might not cut it.

My budget was $500 tops, ideally even lower, so most tactical rifles were out the window, and high caliber hunting rifles didn't really fit the bill for what I wanted. I looked at .22 plinking rifles and tactical style rifles for the low price and cheap ammo, but felt like they wouldn't be ideal for the defense of my prized TP stash and amazon bidet, so I searched on and eventually ended up in the Pistol Caliber Carbine section.

After much pondering and reading into them, I felt like this was possibly my best option for what I wanted/needed. Plinking, check. Home defense, check. Hunting if need be, sort of check. The other obvious benefit for me in the coronapocalypse, is the ammo sharing if I got the same caliber carbine as my pistol, so if ammo becomes hard to find or expensive I will have an easier time using online one type of round.

Once I felt fairly decided on the PCC, my choice become pretty obvious. For the same reason I bought the hi point pistol last year, the hi point carbine was going to be the winner when considering price and value for a beginner shooter.

Looking online, they could be found for an average of about $250 for the basic black. The most reputable looking retailers were usually more like $285, and it was 35-50 bucks more for a colored one if you didn't want black. OE grips, lasers, tac lights, etc, were all available add ons for 25-50 more each.

As a newb gun owner, buying online and shipping to a local store seemed intimidating, and the price was usually $50-100 extra for the transfer fee, on top of my worry that it would take extra long to ship due to the pandemic, so I was hoping to find one locally.

Gander mountain and cabala had nothing, as did all the little rural shops outside my city, but after putzing around online a little more, I eventually started calling shops that were within an hour or 2 away from me just for shits and giggles, and finally found one. These guys were a little shop about an hour south of me, and they had 4 of the 9mm Hi point carbines in stock, for $350. Ordering online, I would have been at 285 + 50 minimum to transfer, so it seemed well worth the extra 35 bucks and hour drive to skip the shipping wait. The decision was made, and off I went.

Bonus: when I got there, all 4 were priced the same at $350, but they had all 4 available colors to choose from, so I even got a nice "army green" one instead of the base black, so it looks super nice.

I've only gotten to shoot it once at a friends farm since all the ranges are closed down from the pandemic, but i liked what little bit of it I got to test. Put 100 rounds through it, and it's accurate.

I threw the iron sights back in the box immediately and put a cheap 30$ red dot sight on it for that first 100 rds, basically just lining up the red dot and seeing how it dealt with steel shit rounds. It did not like that. The steel rounds worked, but I averaged about 1 jam every other 10 rd stock mag. The red ball 20 rd mag jammed once or twice every time. On the bright side, all were fail to chambers where the cartridge entered cocked downward, and were easily cleared with one cycle of the charging handle and back to shooting. I did put a couple brass through it at the end, and the brass did work flawlessly in the stock mag, though it still jammed in the aftermarket 20 rd.

I have since tweaked the spring in the stock mags to hopefully improve their workability with steel rounds, and added a front grip and tac light, so I'm eager for shit to re-open so I can go put it through a good test with brass rounds and see how it actually performs.

All in all, at least from my beginner viewpoint, the Hi points I've bought have been perfect for what I needed, at a decent price. $350 for the carbine, $30 red dot, $25 vert grip, $30 tac lite, $30 mag holder on stock & extra mag, $25 red ball 20rd mag (would not recommend, only good for target shooting).

For $475 I have what feels like all I can currently imagine myself needing for the foreseeable future.

CLIFFS:
-Bought a 9mm PCC cuz didn't need full rifle and ammo fits pistol also
-I like it so far, only 100 rds in. Jams on steel. Good on brass
-Cheap accessories available. Got a grip, light, sight, and extra mags+holder on stock
-$350 bare bones, $490 with above extras
- Redball 20 rd mags suck for this gun. Only good for novelty shooting. Jams 1 or 2 out of 20

To preface the story, last year I bought my first gun for target shooting and home defense, I'm not normally a gun guy per se, and went with the hi point c9 because I'm a broke ass and a new shooter with basic needs. No complaints, works perfectly and i love it.

Back to the new buy story. The beginning of the coronapocalypse left me feeling like I was unprepared if shit really did get wild and i had to live in the woods and hunt squirrels, or defend myself from a horde of itchy buttholed TP looters, so I started considering getting some kind of rifle, as the pistol might not cut it.

My budget was $500 tops, ideally even lower, so most tactical rifles were out the window, and high caliber hunting rifles didn't really fit the bill for what I wanted. I looked at .22 plinking rifles and tactical style rifles for the low price and cheap ammo, but felt like they wouldn't be ideal for the defense of my prized TP stash and amazon bidet, so I searched on and eventually ended up in the Pistol Caliber Carbine section.

After much pondering and reading into them, I felt like this was possibly my best option for what I wanted/needed. Plinking, check. Home defense, check. Hunting if need be, sort of check. The other obvious benefit for me in the coronapocalypse, is the ammo sharing if I got the same caliber carbine as my pistol, so if ammo becomes hard to find or expensive I will have an easier time using online one type of round.

Once I felt fairly decided on the PCC, my choice become pretty obvious. For the same reason I bought the hi point pistol last year, the hi point carbine was going to be the winner when considering price and value for a beginner shooter.

Looking online, they could be found for an average of about $250 for the basic black. The most reputable looking retailers were usually more like $285, and it was 35-50 bucks more for a colored one if you didn't want black. OE grips, lasers, tac lights, etc, were all available add ons for 25-50 more each.

As a newb gun owner, buying online and shipping to a local store seemed intimidating, and the price was usually $50-100 extra for the transfer fee, on top of my worry that it would take extra long to ship due to the pandemic, so I was hoping to find one locally.

Gander mountain and cabala had nothing, as did all the little rural shops outside my city, but after putzing around online a little more, I eventually started calling shops that were within an hour or 2 away from me just for shits and giggles, and finally found one. These guys were a little shop about an hour south of me, and they had 4 of the 9mm Hi point carbines in stock, for $350. Ordering online, I would have been at 285 + 50 minimum to transfer, so it seemed well worth the extra 35 bucks and hour drive to skip the shipping wait. The decision was made, and off I went.

Bonus: when I got there, all 4 were priced the same at $350, but they had all 4 available colors to choose from, so I even got a nice "army green" one instead of the base black, so it looks super nice.

I've only gotten to shoot it once at a friends farm since all the ranges are closed down from the pandemic, but i liked what little bit of it I got to test. Put 100 rounds through it, and it's accurate.

I threw the iron sights back in the box immediately and put a cheap 30$ red dot sight on it for that first 100 rds, basically just lining up the red dot and seeing how it dealt with steel shit rounds. It did not like that. The steel rounds worked, but I averaged about 1 jam every other 10 rd stock mag. The red ball 20 rd mag jammed once or twice every time. On the bright side, all were fail to chambers where the cartridge entered cocked downward, and were easily cleared with one cycle of the charging handle and back to shooting. I did put a couple brass through it at the end, and the brass did work flawlessly in the stock mag, though it still jammed in the aftermarket 20 rd.

I have since tweaked the spring in the stock mags to hopefully improve their workability with steel rounds, and added a front grip and tac light, so I'm eager for shit to re-open so I can go put it through a good test with brass rounds and see how it actually performs.

All in all, at least from my beginner viewpoint, the Hi points I've bought have been perfect for what I needed, at a decent price. $350 for the carbine, $30 red dot, $25 vert grip, $30 tac lite, $30 mag holder on stock & extra mag, $25 red ball 20rd mag (would not recommend, only good for target shooting).

For $475 I have what feels like all I can currently imagine myself needing for the foreseeable future.

CLIFFS:
-Cheap accessories available. Got a grip, light, sight, and extra mags+holder on stock
- Redball 20 rd mags suck for this gun. Only good for novelty shooting. Jams 1 or 2 out of 20

Sounds like a good enough place to start. Cheap shit isn't always bad shit.

CLIFFS:
Sounds like a good purchase. Hi-points have a bad reputation in the gun industry, but I've never had an issue with one (albeit through limited experience). When you get some more cash buy some bulk brass case ammo, and have some fun.

What a first time gun buyer due to Covid looks like at the range with their new piece

Ugh. Facebook won’t show it. Guy had a pistol gripped “home defense” shotgun and held it at his hip like a sawed off shotgun, and recoil threw the gun backwards out of his hands

What a first time gun buyer due to Covid looks like at the range with their new piece

Ugh. Facebook won’t show it. Guy had a pistol gripped “home defense” shotgun and held it at his hip like a sawed off shotgun, and recoil threw the gun backwards out of his hands

That's why I bought one with the strap. :D

097bb535df36be2d49d41344ff1fab7c.jpg

Why I hate pistol grips on shotguns.

I opened my long gun safe at night last few nights. Highly doubt they actually start going door to door in residences tho

You in a city? I agree on the bad actors not entering residences since it would become open season. I could see them doing drive-by damage though. At worst arson.

I just have my AR and numerous mags out.

I could do that in moral support but I doubt we'll even get a legit protest here, let alone looters and shit. We're still worried about Covid. :D

Made me think though, if my neighborhood was close to the action I'd have no problem posting guard with neighbors to ensure our safety. As we're seeing, a simple show of force is almost always going to get the job done. It also made me think, that since the real danger is at night, I need some night vision. :cool:

You in a city? I agree on the bad actors not entering residences since it would become open season. I could see them doing drive-by damage though. At worst arson.

About 12 miles north of a city with a very high crime rate. Not a metropolis, but per capital it makes top 10 highest in America violent crime lists each each

So I highly, highly doubt they make it to my commuter small town/neighborhood. But why not have the door open in the evenings and over night when usually it's locked? No kids.

I could do that in moral support but I doubt we'll even get a legit protest here, let alone looters and shit. We're still worried about Covid. :D

Made me think though, if my neighborhood was close to the action I'd have no problem posting guard with neighbors to ensure our safety. As we're seeing, a simple show of force is almost always going to get the job done. It also made me think, that since the real danger is at night, I need some night vision. :cool:

I don't think anything is going to happen here, but when I'm home I just keep a firearm handy. You never know.

Three 30 rounders loaded in my PC every night with a 20 rounder that has green tip laying next to my 14.5" AR with the bolt back. And two Glock mags loaded sitting on my night stand next to my Glock.

I ain't taking chances

Back