VW or the Foo Fighters?

Volkswagons are solid cars and foo fighters are a solid band. It's a push.

Anything after The Colour and Shape is weak and you know it. I don't know about the comparison to Nickelback though. Anyway, I won't let you or anyone else talk me out of how great of a band Vampire Weekend is. How can you continue to listen to and praise a band when every album they put out comes way short of their greatest one? Progression is the key here and VW takes it by a thousand miles.

I already said I'm a fan of vw. I even admitted I probably like them better right now.

I just think the two don't compare well and that people shit on ff too much. They are a good rock band that constantly puts out good (imo) rock records.

I already said I'm a fan of vw. I even admitted I probably like them better right now.

I just think the two don't compare well and that people shit on ff too much. They are a good rock band that constantly puts out good (imo) rock records.

Sorry bro didn't read your posts earlier didn't mean to take it out on you.

Edit: "Step" and "Hannah Hunt" are magical songs.

Foo Fighters have been making decent music for like 20 years, can't knock that.

I think a better comparison would have been Weezer vs. Vampire weekend.

How long have Weezer been around?

but I'd prefer to deal with particulars of context. I tend to give a genre benefit of the doubt, but who gets to say that Soul Khan is a worse rapped than Kanye, or the other way around? Who gets to decide Mumford's second album isn't as good as the first?

To me it's about the virtues we've decided on (many of them, I think, would have an ontological grounding... that is, that they are part of the fabric of being). Creativity, newness, authentic expression, relatability, ect. Even still, there is a relativity to those things as well.

That said, I'm loving this Tom Odell album.

I agree with your second paragraph more than I do the first.

Let's take the Soul Khan < of a rapper than Kanye debate. I'm not a groundhog expert or well-versed in rap, but I would probably compare the two based on lyrical content, vocal delivery, production values, etc. There are still things to compare, and if I had the adequate knowledge of those things, I think I could come to a more objective view than just, "Soul Khan sucks ass" You know what I mean? I would have reasons. Some would be arbitrary. A lot would be relative. But it wouldn't all be personal preference.

Also, I totally believe you can judge between band's different albums. Why wouldn't you be able to?

Every time I've heard a Vampire Weekend song I can only imagine kids in ray bans, tank tops, and cut off shorts in a weekend party montage.

No thanks to either band.

Sorry bro didn't read your posts earlier didn't mean to take it out on you.

Edit: "Step" and "Hannah Hunt" are magical songs.

No biggy.

I'm not trying to white knight them or convince people they are something they aren't.

I just think people take bands like them for granted because they don't constantly re-invent themselves. They are a good rock band and have been for 20 years. It's easy to get on the internet and shit on people and call their work simple and formulaic and redundant. Maybe it is. But their is still a reason for that. As the saying goes "if it was easy, everyone would do it".

Something about their work has kept them relevant, and well received both critically and commercially for decades. Just because it isn't obvious, or easy to label exactly what that is, doesn't mean it isn't there. You can probably count on two hands bands with their following and longevity. Among their peers pretty much only them and Pearl Jam have managed it.

It isn't marketing or media, or an illuminaty conspiracy. They are just a good band that a lot of people enjoy and have for a long time.

I don't particularly care for either band, but think VW are better at making pop music than FF are at making rock so I'll go with them.

I remember they were on the Windows 95 cdrom. So at least since 1995, probably a couple years before that.

I only asked be a use you mentioned about FF not bring a good comparison having been around 20yrs. Not a Weezer fan, but their first 2 albums were good (at the time) and they've had subsequent acclaim. I don't even know who Vampire Weekend are. They seem like another band, like the one Miley Cyrus' brother was in.

If you listen to them and don't worry about the labels people give them (hipster, gay, pop rock) I promise it will grow on you. I like me some metal and hard rock as well, I just enjoy listening to them as their songs are happy yet so complex and smart.

honestly never heard of vampire weekend. FF have one good song, everlong. besides that, fuck them

Every time I've heard a Vampire Weekend song I can only imagine kids in ray bans, tank tops, and cut off shorts in a weekend party montage.

No thanks to either band.

There's a flaw in your theory. You're assuming that males listen to Vampire Weekend.

Foo Fighters made Everlong. Vampire Weekend has made...what, exactly?

Not a huge foo fighters fan, but comparing these two is laughable... I would bet money that 99% of people couldnt even name a single vampire weekend song, yet nearly anyone could identify several foo fighters songs by listening to a 3 second sound clip.

It comes to personal taste when comparing such different bands. I'm with Foo Fighters all the way and I'm not even a fan. I just can't get into VW and I do have to say I listen to a broad spectrum of music so I've listened to all of their records because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. And I do have to say their first album (at least I believe Vampire Weekend was their first) was the best of the bunch and I personally do not see the growth and improvement as some of you said came with subsequent albums. And comparing FF with Nickelback is just wrong, come on you may not like them, hell I don't like them, but that is blasphemy, considering White Limo was the best mainstream rock tune I've heard in years. It actually forced me to give Wasting Light a chance, sadly the record did not live up to this tune and did not make me a fan of them, it's still a song I gladly listen to once in a while...

The thing is:

Foo fighters suck. I went to Lollapalooza and their concert was shit. All songs sounded like the same and they had to resort to playing classics like Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin. Foo Fighters is just... Idk, its a recipe they repeat every year and its only great for the first times.

What do they bring to the table that is different? Not even Dave Grohl is a breath of fresh air, they are just generic hard rock.

Meanwhile:

I dont ask anyone to be a fan of VW, their style is very peculiar. We are used to being surrounded by fake machos that cant admit they like a gay voiced band, so who cares? I, imo, consider it a great band. But thats my opinion and thats NOT the point of this thread.

The point is: there is no absurd gap in talent. Foo Fighters is not like a Mozart to VWs Rihanna. Like which ever one you prefer, but ridiculing VW as a band because of its qualities only to hype up the most generic shit ever (FF) sounds retarded and biased

/rant

Back