Volk made the worst decision in the history of the sport.

Taking Islam on short notice was a bad bad idea by volk and the ufc
Just destroyed him
Lead to his downfall from grace

He got paid close to a mil for that fight. He has successful businesses outside the UFC also and will come out of the sport with life changing finances and a great claim as the FW GOAT of the sport and one of the best to do it. Nobody else was even close to his payfor losing on that card with a win and he is on his way out sadly. He was looking good before he got caught, so it definitely affected him, but in the end he had an amazing career even if he loses his next fight and calls it.

It's unfortunate, but we will miss him when Ilia turns out like the current crop of diva's and refuses to fight the top guys.
Yea, you never enjoy seeing a great run end but that's the name of the game in this sport. You either retire in your prime and have people shit on you for leaving early or take some risks, get KO'd, then be told you threw away your legacy. No one really makes it out without the community giving them hell.

Volk got to where he did in life through self-belief and a healthy dose of delusion. Unfortunately, what got him to the top also made him make a terrible decision in taking the short notice fight. Either way, he made a bag and has a nice life to exit to now. Just have to hope he can adjust to the transition to a normal life.

If that's what you think I'm pretty sure you've watched little to no sports over the course of your life.

Yea, you never enjoy seeing a great run end but that's the name of the game in this sport. You either retire in your prime and have people shit on you for leaving early or take some risks, get KO'd, then be told you threw away your legacy. No one really makes it out without the community giving them hell.

Volk got to where he did in life through self-belief and a healthy dose of delusion. Unfortunately, what got him to the top also made him make a terrible decision in taking the short notice fight. Either way, he made a bag and has a nice life to exit to now. Just have to hope he can adjust to the transition to a normal life.
I think he will have one more and decide from there. It's sad because I enjoyed watching him fight because he fought differently vs each person he fought. That high kick and body kick game he showed vs Ilia was beautiful to watch. He clearly added to his game, but the Islam fight definitely came into effect with how he went out.

I think he could come out and have a Whittaker like career were he basically beats 8/10 guys still and it's probably worth it considering what he gets paid, but Volk seems like the kinda guy that would struggle with not being the champ. I am hoping he takes 6 months+ and assesses where to go from here.

I kinda hope he comes back and kinda GSPs it up and starts to really mix things up in his fights to avoid these type of losses. He still appears to be more skilled fighter, he is just losing these big exchanges that he used to win. Big ask at 35, but my god we are going to miss him when he goes. Ilia hasn't been the most active coming up, Ortega and Yair aren't either and Max is probably about to finally be cracked vs Gaethje. I think we are about to see an era of diva champions unfortunately. Only person staying super active is Pereira.

I think he will have one more and decide from there. It's sad because I enjoyed watching him fight because he fought differently vs each person he fought. That high kick and body kick game he showed vs Ilia was beautiful to watch. He clearly added to his game, but the Islam fight definitely came into effect with how he went out.

I think he could come out and have a Whittaker like career were he basically beats 8/10 guys still and it's probably worth it considering what he gets paid, but Volk seems like the kinda guy that would struggle with not being the champ. I am hoping he takes 6 months+ and assesses where to go from here.

I kinda hope he comes back and kinda GSPs it up and starts to really mix things up in his fights to avoid these type of losses. He still appears to be more skilled fighter, he is just losing these big exchanges that he used to win. Big ask at 35, but my god we are going to miss him when he goes. Ilia hasn't been the most active coming up, Ortega and Yair aren't either and Max is probably about to finally be cracked vs Gaethje. I think we are about to see an era of diva champions unfortunately. Only person staying super active is Pereira.
Yea I couldn't agree more with all this. I hope he takes at least 6 months to try to acclimate to a normal life style for a bit before making anymore fighting decisions.

We really are entering an era of diva champions. It's going to be brutal. Izzy, Alex, and Usman got a lot of hate but damn they were active between 2020 to 2023. It was pretty nice 3 year run of champions.

Yea I couldn't agree more with all this. I hope he takes at least 6 months to try to acclimate to a normal life style for a bit before making anymore fighting decisions.

We really are entering an era of diva champions. It's going to be brutal. Izzy, Alex, and Usman got a lot of hate but damn they were active between 2020 to 2023. It was pretty nice 3 year run of champions.
The fact nobody wanted UFC 300 is insane. Leon couldn't even get an opponent apparently after 3 attempts.
Add ramadan with the influx of Muslim champions and basically no champions will fight or train for the first 3-6 months of the year from now on.

It was good whilst it lasted, but I hope I am wrong. The BMF belt might become the most active title with the way things are going.

Okay, I see what you are getting at, but hear me out: Henry's decision to retire was actually a good one. Because Henry would have lost to Yan if they fought, and having a loss in his prime would have looked worse than losing two fights coming back now.
Henry just won a round off Merab then gassed. Yan wasn't even competitive there. Smart money would be on a young Henry going threw both Yan an Sterling and getting his dream third title shot at Volk.

In any case defending his belts vs Yan would have been a much bigger payday. He'd have been getting a rematch too. He'd also have the opportunity to take the flyweight belt and defend that for more than the pittance he got to lose as an elderly bw.
He missed the 3 best income earning years he could have had absolute career suicide for a prize fighter.

Fighting four times in a year, while not being a necessarily bad decision, is dubious.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while being laudable, is very risky.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while also moving up and down in weight classes, is imprudent.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while also moving up and down in weight classes, and being 34/35, is downright reckless.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while also moving up and down in weight classes, and being 34/35, plus having surgery in the middle of it, is irrational behaviour.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while also moving up and down in weight classes, and being 34/35, plus having surgery in the middle of it, and taking the 3rd fight on short notice and getting kick in the head by the best p4p fighter in the world, is legitimate low iq behaviour.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while also moving up and down in weight classes, and being 34/35, plus having surgery in the middle of it, and taking the 3rd fight on short notice and getting kick in the head by the best p4p fighter in the world, and then taking a fight vs the guy in your division with the best boxing and hardest punching only four months later...well, that must be one of the worst decision made in the history of the sport.
When did Sherdog become a place where people share their “dear diary” entries and second rate poetry?

This should’ve been a PowerPoint presentation.

Fighting four times in a year, while not being a necessarily bad decision, is dubious.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while being laudable, is very risky.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while also moving up and down in weight classes, is imprudent.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while also moving up and down in weight classes, and being 34/35, is downright reckless.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while also moving up and down in weight classes, and being 34/35, plus having surgery in the middle of it, is irrational behaviour.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while also moving up and down in weight classes, and being 34/35, plus having surgery in the middle of it, and taking the 3rd fight on short notice and getting kick in the head by the best p4p fighter in the world, is legitimate low iq behaviour.
Fighting four times in a year vs elite competition, while also moving up and down in weight classes, and being 34/35, plus having surgery in the middle of it, and taking the 3rd fight on short notice and getting kick in the head by the best p4p fighter in the world, and then taking a fight vs the guy in your division with the best boxing and hardest punching only four months later...well, that must be one of the worst decision made in the history of the sport.
He knows how old he is. He's just trying to fight as much as possible and make money as soon as possible.

Amazing how losers think they know better than elite champions.

Volk had the chance to be a two weight class champion and he came very close to achieving that.

Damn. I really hate those loser or hater or troll threads.

I think his inactivity was due to selective matchmaking.

Once he fought elite fighters like islam and ilia, he got exposed hard.

Fans are so weird.

We criticise fighters like Jones or Khamzat for fighting incredibly infrequently and taking favourable matchups calling for them to embrace the JBG mindset.

Then we criticise fighters who legit do have a anyone anywhere any time mindset as them being stupid.

I think his inactivity was due to selective matchmaking.

Once he fought elite fighters like islam and ilia, he got exposed hard.
Selective matchmaking?

FW has been in shambles for years when it comes to figuring out a solid top 10.

I guess you could see TKZ’s fight to be favourite but in terms of the rest Volk hasn’t had easy matchups.

Well he overestimated himself and made over 10 million in 12 months. That's purse + ppv points.
He easily made a few more millions in sponsors.
He is past prime and these are his last years working.
He will retire in 1-2 years

I believe Volk will carry on fighting for many years, one of those fighters who cannot walk away.

Fans are so weird.

We criticise fighters like Jones or Khamzat for fighting incredibly infrequently and taking favourable matchups calling for them to embrace the JBG mindset.

Then we criticise fighters who legit do have a anyone anywhere any time mindset as them being stupid.

Just like Aristotle wanted people to live according to the golden mean, I want fighters to chose their fights according to the golden mean. That is, I want them to fight for the right opponent, for the right reasons, and the right time, in the right way. And I think Volk veered to much to the extreme of fighting at the wrong time (to soon) for the wrong reasons (mental illness).

Honestly dont think my desire here is unreasonable.

Back