VIDEO - Front Squats 440lbs x 5 reps at 165lbs bodyweight !

Also, mechanically, it's easier to keep your torso upright (in proper position) during a front squat when you're simultaneously pushing the point of your elbows upwards. Having your hands in that position make it easier to focus on pushing your elbows up (which is easier to focus on than trying to will your torso to be as upright as possible during the movement.)

That's... that...

...ridiculous. I want those genetics. I know training is the much more important factor, but the gent in that video is a freak of nature.

On the debate: I discovered by trial and error what you just said, Keith. After finally getting the flexibility to keep a grip on the bar while getting those elbows up for cleans (still feels like I'm keylocking myself, but "no agony, no bragony", right?) I found the bar easier to manage when just propping it up onto the delts with three fingers.

Front squat question, though -- how do you keep the bar off your windpipe? Or is that pretty much inevitable for the lift?

Front squat question, though -- how do you keep the bar off your windpipe? Or is that pretty much inevitable for the lift?
It's a struggle, although I've found that I can actually press it upto my windpipe with no real consequences.

^
Yeah, same. I've found the spot between compression and strangulation.

I find that if I really try to flex my anterior deltoids, it makes just enough difference to not choke out my carotids. (no homo).

Also, if you must you can push your elbows forward (away from your body) and it takes the bar with it a tiny bit, usually enough to fix the problem. You lose some upper back tightness and you are essentially taking the bar a small distance away from your center, but you're evading the choke.

Both methods are harder to do with heavy weights, but you should still be able to pull them off just enough to fix the choking problem.

Good luck and good front squatting.

Back