VIDEO - Front Squats 440lbs x 5 reps at 165lbs bodyweight !

Seanzilla**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And that's not a squat suit he's wearing (just an olympic lifting wrestling singlet.)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XkK9-mnDAy4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XkK9-mnDAy4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stay Strong,
Sean
Hardcore Powerlifting

Notice, how he is only using the tips of 2-3 fingers to balance and contain the bar---several of us have been preaching that for some time as its the best way to do it

After watching that I had to smoke a cigarette

How come he bounces little if any off the bottom? This vid was in stronglifts front squat article also.

Wow, you seriously haven't seen that before? It's my favourite lifting vid, literally brightens my day.

Notice, how he is only using the tips of 2-3 fingers to balance and contain the bar---several of us have been preaching that for some time as its the best way to do it

After watching that I had to smoke a cigarette

Keith I know that when you talk, one ought to shut up and listen, because you're always right (no sarcasm).

But I find it monstrously difficult to only use the tips of 2-3 fingers to balance and contain the bar after I cleaned it from the floor. I mean I'll probably give this technique a try if I FS out of a rack.

Also, what are the benefits of using only 2-3 fingers to balance the bar?

As always thanks for the tips and knowledgeable replies.

Keith I know that when you talk, one ought to shut up and listen, because you're always right (no sarcasm).

But I find it monstrously difficult to only use the tips of 2-3 fingers to balance and contain the bar after I cleaned it from the floor. I mean I'll probably give this technique a try if I FS out of a rack.

I would say that it releaves wrist issues if flexibility is a problem but it also tell's you that the bar is on the right spot and your staying vertical the whole time you lift, just becouse you cannot really support it there with a few finger tips.

I'm not as knowledgeable as Keith, but...

The reason that you want the bar to be on the tips of the fingers is because the fingers balance the bar. The bar is supported solely by your front delts, and your fingers just help stabilize the bar.

If you find it difficult to do, you need to work on you wrist flexibility.

Thanks for the kind comments, btw, I am not always right and what I, along with anybody else say should be carefully evaluated, measured and challenged if need by on the basis of one's own knowledge and experience. We gain nothing in life by being yes men. A person who cannot stand respectful challenge and scrutiny probably is full of bs to start with.

The responses given above are correct--many people have wrist flexibility issues--this takes time and effort, but it can be improved. If you can scratch the back of your neck, you have the required flexibility to front squat with a clean grip. Now, often you will see a picture of someone doing a front squat and both of their hands are gripped tightly around the bar--usually the weight on the bar is very moderate-its very, very tough to do with heavier weights--watch the videos of top OL'ers doing front squats and you will nearly always see the finger tips only method. Now, I have found that you can get more of the fingers around the bar---at least on the initial couple of reps, but if you are doing more than 2-3 reps, you will find that your hands/fingers start to slip a bit and then all of sudden you become aware that your fingers are slipping and you start focusing on that and it becomes a huge mental distraction. Its far better to start with the fingertip only position and lock it into place so that your focus is on moving the weight, not your fingers slipping.

If you can front squat 400 for at least five reps, you are allowed to dump the bar on the last rep--is that not the coolest thing in the world--I have never done that but is is on my "bucket list", sort of like in the Godfather when Sonny Corleone walks up to the cameraman who is taking pictures at his sisters wedding, he grabs the camera, smashes it in the ground, then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a wad of cash then peels off a few bills and tosses them on the ground in front of the cameraman--too cool.

Keith

Back