Media Vettori: I don't agree with Sean's style in the gym, have dispute with Allen, Izzy can't hang after break

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

On what training with Sean Strickland is like:

- Sean Strickland is a knucklehead. Bro, he's got like you know, he has his own way of doing things. But you know, he's got his own ways, but I don't believe it's the right way.
But he made it happen for him, so you can't really say anything. But you know, I don't really agree with a lot of the shit he likes. He's not a coach, so anyway, no bro you know,
it's great. Like it's a bunch of killers in here.

On training so close to where opponent Brendan Allen is:

- I mean, that doesn't change anything though. You know, if I see him out in the street I might just slap him again or whatever.

Again?

- No, not again, but I kind of checked him a bit when we were at the PI. You know, like *chuckle* he came and tried to shake my hand. And it happened so fast that I gave my hand,
but I was like "fuck I didn't just", like I don't like this guy, he's always talking shit about me and stuff. So later I saw him in the cafeteria and he's sitting down there with Strickland
and Curtis. And I'm like "bro, these the guys that knocked you out?" and I went up to them and "hey, these two guys knocked you out so what are you doing, you know, sitting down
here just having fun with them?" And he's like, yeah, you know, I just wanna fight them again so it's cool with me. I say "hey, it's on you. If you like this it's all good" but I also said
that I couldn't do it. And he got all mad and then, you know, went on to cry and stuff. But anyways...

What do you think a win over him brings in this stacked division?

- I got to go out there and put on a great performance. Showing that I'm a changed fighter and that I've just improved during this time. Yeah, just start my climb again. You know,
climb the ladder and get another title shot. Of course that's the goal, but now all my focus is on beating him in the best possible way.

Who do you think deserves to fight DDP for his first title defense of MW belt?

- Izzy will lose any fight if he comes back. He's not gonna win any fight, I'm going to tell you this. Of the top 4 beneath champ he's not gonna win anyone. And I don't think he's
gonna beat Khamzat Chimaev either. No, no, no, I don't think so. He's gonna get taken down, so I mean, if he comes back he's going to lose I think. So they're gonna tell me
that I'm a hater and shit, but to be honest it's true. Like, this game is improving so fast, it's evolving so fast and the grappling level is just getting higher and higher now and I
don't think he can hang. Like taking a year off now in this stage is a lot of time.

- Cannonier should get the title shot but nobody likes Cannonier. Nobody cares about him unfortunately *chuckle*, I don't think anybody is giving him a title shot. He deserves one
to be honest. Being after the media and stuff is like a job, man. Like, some people don't want to do it. It's a whole different job (on top of training).

I sometimes wonder what happens with Izzy after he returns. Is Vettori right and he’s been mentally broken? Or will he come back with a vengeance to prove he still has it? I’d really like to see aggressive Izzy again.

More reasons to root against Vettori. Grassy!

Last edited:
More reasons to root against Vettori. Graci!
... you mean grazie?

IMO Vettori is a hard worker and shows up prepared. Was willing to fight Costa up an entire weight class with no notice of the change until a few days before. Dude definitely walks the walk.

Look at this absolutely batshit strength of schedule:

Cannonier
Dolidze
Whittaker
Costa
Izzy

Love him or hate him the guy never gets easy fights. He fought Dolidze when nobody wanted that assignment, he was 6-1 in the UFC coming off 3 KO wins and murdered Hermansson.

In any event, Allen is looking sharp and fully realized as a fighter. This will be a really tough fight for both guys, looking forward to it.

“He’s not a coach”

Considering Vettori getting absolutely schooled by Cannonier and Izzy I actually think Strickland is definitely at a level to give Vettori striking coaching… Strickland said Vettori will listen to whatever his coaches say and this sounds like his coaches don’t like Strickland calling out Vettori in the training room.

I could be reading too into it but I didn’t realize Vettori talked like he fights lol

Considering Vettori getting absolutely schooled by Cannonier and Izzy

The first fight with Izzy was competitive, he won a round and took his back. The second Izzy fight was an absolute stinker where neither guy got hurt. Saying anyone got 'schooled' in that fight is unreasonable.

Cannonier, fair enough, but Vettori nearly knocked him out in the first round. After Marvin got rocked pretty bad in subsequent rounds he was on autopilot.

I actually think Strickland is definitely at a level to give Vettori striking coaching… Strickland said Vettori will listen to whatever his coaches say and this sounds like his coaches don’t like Strickland calling out Vettori in the training room.

Strickland is arguably the best point kickboxer in the sport right now. He couldn't defend the belt for the same reason he didn't earn a title shot - that style only takes you so far. He has a handful of close decision stinkers because of his risk averse style.

Marvin has his own flaws, but they are different ones. I don't think Poatan knocks him out in under a round like he casually murdered Sean.

I could be reading too into it but I didn’t realize Vettori talked like he fights lol

English as a second language and all

554cd-16234002177350-800.jpg

I forgot Vettori was such a wordsmith.
Love to see the rap battle between him and Jamahall Hill.

"Like, bro is not very bright. He doesn’t do bright things. Nothing about his movement or motion or anything he does seems bright at all, so I’m not really surprised that he has a not-so-bright take on this whole thing."

Don't see how Izzy's break is such a big deal. It's not like he's been out for years. The Strickland fight was only 6 months ago. He'll probably fight DDP within 6 months.

Reading his comments on Sean hurt my brain so I couldn't continue further.

He may have used his head as a defense mechanism 1 or 2 too many times

Back