• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Law Uvalde families sue Meta and ‘Call of Duty’ publisher Activision-Blizzard over alleged links to gun violence

Call of Duty games have been rated M since 2007.

Just because a product can only be purchased by a specific age group doesnt mean its only advertised to them. Corporate entities of age restricted products are constantly fined for targeted advertising and or exploitation below their legal age allowance. Plus entertainment products are in a weird spot compared to controlled substances. ESRB is a self regulating entertainment industry standard implemented to avoid federal oversight.

Said grounds for a lawsuit is warranted. Didnt say Activision/Blizzard will be found liable. Some major legal hurdles exist for the Ulvade families.
Oh bullshit! You said much more than that.
Problem here for Activision/Blizzard is that theyve been caught promoting specific firearms manufacturers in Call of Duty for monetary gain and licensing rights. With the firearms manufacturers entering into said agreement solely to advertise their products towards kids.

Grounds are there for such a lawsuit. All of this comes down to if discovery is granted.
They sure as hell didn't enter into that agreement "solely" for the firearms manufacturers to "advertise their products towards kids". First, they aren't even providing direct advertisement, as the games aren't running commercials for specific firearms sales, or with links to outlets selling them. It's mere exposure for guns that exist in the real world. And many games contain guns that have real world analogues whether or not they specifically reference the exact brand, or use the exact model number (but towards the latter most do). Why not sue Valve for Counter-Strike? Is the AK-47 not a real gun? The Glock 18? Why not sue all of them? Sue the whole damn videogame industry?

Second of all, they sure as hell aren't "solely" targeting kids. Exposure with IRL gun models targets anyone who plays the games, and there are just as many legal adults on COD as kids, probably more.

What happened in Uvalde was a tragedy, but this lawsuit is deep pockets bullshit, and you just deliberately misrepresented the facts to mislead the forum into believing Activision-Blizzard was using a Camel Joe like Big Tobacco did to sell cigarettes to kids. That's some scumbag shit. Your hatred of Blizzard is legendary on Sherdog. Any thread about that company you're a bug to a light ready to hate, hate, hate. I genuinely wonder about the source of this pettiness.

Sounds like a waste of time and money.
Assuming they aren't raising funds for it from others.

i dont know how they are supposed to tie this to call of duty. did he start teabagging the bodies of his victims or call in a UAV and a chopper gunner after his killstreak?

this seems like a bit of a longshot. but who knows?

and you just deliberately misrepresented the facts to mislead the forum into believing Activision-Blizzard was using a Camel Joe like Big Tobacco did to sell cigarettes to kids.

Curious how a game developer with zero exposure began fully using fictional weapon names in late 2022 after two decades of doing the opposite.

Curious how a game developer with zero exposure began fully using fictional weapon names in late 2022 after two decades of doing the opposite.
s-15967a9eb0a45f07329a0091db7539a47094ef6d.gif

I hope they win this lawsuit. My kid knows about all kinds of real assualt rifles and guns just playing games like call of duty..ect..ect. What happen to the good old days of the original Doom that had "shotgun" and "flame thrower".

I mean, you say that, but people used to make custom levels for doom. The Columbine shooters actually created their school in Doom before they did the shooting. Pretty sure those levels are still out there too.

That being said, video games don't have shit to do with mass shootings lol. The links between video games violence and real life violence have been disproven time and time again.

They tried to blame Columbine on Doom and Marilyn Manson. Manson, as big of a scumbag as he is, absolutely wrecked everyone on Phil Donahue's show on this topic. Well worth a watch.

I've seen more violent shit on Reddit than you'll ever see in a video game.

But call of duty uses made up names for each gun so how can it be tied to any specific gun? This is another bullshit lawsuit that should be tossed out immediately. The Remington one was also bullshit.
They're still recognizable by and large. I don't think there's a lawsuit here, but COD guns are generally either licensed (paid or not), old enough to not worry about that, or effectively 80 percent identical with the actual gun and one major thing is changed to avoid trademark issues since gun silhouettes and rough shapes are effectively protected legally.

The Uvalde Police Dept should be sued for that pathetic display of law enforcement they presented.
I was going to say the same thing, those lil' bitches stood around for hours, arresting parents who had the balls to run in and try and save their kids. Those same parents did not have weapons, shields or body armor.
Everyone tells me Texans are tough, but after watching their law enforcement and Ted Cruz being Trump's bitch, I now laugh whenever someone says Texan Tough. Most Texans are all hat and no cattle. Plus Cowboy fans are softer than warm butter.

And of course Shertifa makes this about Trump. <lmao>
Keep up, was calling Cruz a bitch, you should be happy, that makes your boy, Trump the Alpha in this scenario. He was punking Ted, and still got Ted to support him.
Trump called Ted's wife ugly, planted stories in the National Enquirer, Ted was cheating on said wife. Accused Teds Dad of killing Kennedy. Took Teds endorsement away from Jerry Falwell Jr, because Trump found out, Jerry liked to eat Cream pies, made by his wife and pool boy.
Then we see Ted doing this
th

I stand by my assertion Ted is not tough and a lil' bitch. If another man talks shit about your wife and then tells your wife you are a cheater when you are not, and you dont check that man, then you are a bitch. You check habitual line steppers, the first time they cross the line, or otherwise they will continue to line step and turn you into their doormat.
So my theory Texans are not tough are based on the Uvalde Police Department, Ted Cruz and Cowboy fans, which is enough data, to lend credence too my theory.
I never fault the line stepper unless they are taking advantage of someone way weaker, but Trump is a fat 80 year old man, you dont let him line step.

Imagine turning the real tragedy of your kid being killed by some nut case into a sick money grab.

I was going to say the same thing, those lil' bitches stood around for hours, arresting parents who had the balls to run in and try and save their kids. Those same parents did not have weapons, shields or body armor.
Everyone tells me Texans are tough, but after watching their law enforcement and Ted Cruz being Trump's bitch, I now laugh whenever someone says Texan Tough. Most Texans are all hat and no cattle. Plus Cowboy fans are softer than warm butter.
<Dany07>

Keep up, was calling Cruz a bitch, you should be happy, that makes your boy, Trump the Alpha in this scenario. He was punking Ted, and still got Ted to support him.
Trump called Ted's wife ugly, planted stories in the National Enquirer, Ted was cheating on said wife. Accused Teds Dad of killing Kennedy. Took Teds endorsement away from Jerry Falwell Jr, because Trump found out, Jerry liked to eat Cream pies, made by his wife and pool boy.
Then we see Ted doing this
th

I stand by my assertion Ted is not tough and a lil' bitch. If another man talks shit about your wife and then tells your wife you are a cheater when you are not, and you dont check that man, then you are a bitch. You check habitual line steppers, the first time they cross the line, or otherwise they will continue to line step and turn you into their doormat.
So my theory Texans are not tough are based on the Uvalde Police Department, Ted Cruz and Cowboy fans, which is enough data, to lend credence too my theory.
I never fault the line stepper unless they are taking advantage of someone way weaker, but Trump is a fat 80 year old man, you dont let him line step.
Keep up? I didn't quote or tag you.

<BC1>

Imagine turning the real tragedy of your kid being killed by some nut case into a sick money grab.
In fairness, it's the lawyers preying on their pain and suffering. They're not thinking clearly, and I can't blame them.

"You know, I think we could sue the entire world over this. Just re-mortgage your house for my retainer, and me and my team will get right on that."

Back