• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Usyk vs Joshua 2 August 20th

Back in training & eating under guidance with top quality food available etc I don't see it being too hard for Usyk to put on 20lb in 10-11 weeks and that still leaves him with a couple of weeks to fine tune/stabilise leading into the fight.

That's even if the 20lb isn't a slight exageration.

Usyk is brave as hell for heading back into that warzone and for taking a heavyweight fight coming out of it. Good luck to him. I don't see a guy who has done all that + bulked up to heavyweight before and has adequate time to prepare being too phased about needing to get back to weight. Been proven in repeated peer reviewed studies it's a lot faster/easier to put muscle back on once you've had it before than it is to gain it in the first place.

For the love of god please let usyk derail the AJ train once and for all. They cant keep pumping him up to 'the star' and play the he reinvented himself card all over again.
He got beat, simply not the best of his era.

So according to Usyks wife he has lost 20 pounds since this whole war thing

I saw an interview of him a couple of days ago he looked really slim. Said boxing is kid's play compare to what's going on and that he can't simply stop thinking about the war.

That being said, three months time is enough to get in shape and fully focus on boxing.

Usyk needs to clear his mind. The last comments from him that I read naturally revolved around the war and not boxing. It's a cause for concern. He needs to focus solely on boxing and temporarily lose the distractions. A couple weeks ago I read that his home was shot at by Russian soldiers and that he didn't even know where his friends were. They've gone missing. That's really sad but worrying about them tells me he's not in the right frame of mind. At least he wasn't as of two weeks ago. His wife stated that he'd lost 10 kilos, or 22 pounds, in a week. However, that sounds like it might be an exaggeration.

We're still months out from the rematch so there's time but he needs to fix this stuff now. He can gradually increase his weight over the next few months and just tune everything else out. Of course that's easy for me to say. Still, that's what will have to happen. I've included some of Usyk's quotes from earlier this month.
-----
“Some of my friends (in Ukraine) are missing, and we do not know where they are now. Many of my relatives lost their homes, and lost their friends and loved ones. Frankly speaking, all that is going on now is quite horrible in Ukraine. Every day I pray for the soonest (quickest) possible end to this horror (the conflict). In comparison with war, boxing is child’s play,” noted Usyk.

Regarding his decision to return to training, and leave Ukraine (with governmental approval), Usyk explained “Although it was not easy for me, I took (made) such a decision. So now I am here, and I have already started preparation for the rematch with Anthony Joshua. Now, I want to concentrate as much as possible on my preparations.”

“Because, at the moment, I cannot stop thinking about the war (and) about my friends in Ukraine…….and I have to get rid of such thoughts as much as possible (as much as I can to concentrate and) in order to be prepared well for the Anthony Joshua fight, and be able to glorify again my God and my native land (Ukraine and its people).”

New Usyk Interview: “Some Of My Friends Are Missing. Where Are They?”

there's still plenty of time to put the weight back on.

there's also enough time between now and then for there to actually be some progress for peace. ukraine will still be in ruins, but at least there might be a ceasefire.

and honestly, while it would suck if he underperformed or lost due to the distractions, it would be completely understandable and wouldn't really matter much. we're boxing fans here and put a lot of value on this, but compared to having your family and friends butchered in war, a boxing match seems kind of irrelevant.

there's still plenty of time to put the weight back on.

there's also enough time between now and then for there to actually be some progress for peace. ukraine will still be in ruins, but at least there might be a ceasefire.

and honestly, while it would suck if he underperformed or lost due to the distractions, it would be completely understandable and wouldn't really matter much. we're boxing fans here and put a lot of value on this, but compared to having your family and friends butchered in war, a boxing match seems kind of irrelevant.
If Usyk said he couldnt fight this year, would he be stripped?

I don't see how this fight comes together, Usyk's in a fucking war zone ffs.

It's more fun when Joshua is the underdog, this guy has never been terminator material, as much as the British press made him out to be, he has never looked like this stoic, monstrous, knock out destructor that everyone should fear, even shot ass Wladimir almost knocked his ass out yet no matter how many times we see him rag-dolled like that, his fans will still swear by him, it's crazy but good for him.

After the Ruiz disaster, he went on to win a decision in the most cowardly way possible in the rematch and then looked completely outgunned in the Usyk match, at this point there's no reason for me to believe wilder wouldn't knock him out and Fury should be a clear favorite if they fought.

And you know what? I like him more this way, this is what Joshua should be, he is more approachable and relatable this way, instead of making him out to be an unbeatable superhero, make him the underdog, rocky type guy, who against all odds is trying to get his glory back against a couple of monsters clearly favored over him.

Anyway, Joshua is very good but Usyk is better, it's that simple, Usyk is also better than Fury but Fury but Fury is smarter than Joshua and knows how to move and use his size better, Joshua's size does him barely any benefits against Usyk. I think he gets knocked out this time.

Personally not a fan of this situation, Usyk should not be fighting given what is happening in Ukraine. If Joshua is ever gonna win it will be now.

Only plus side is we may see Tyson Fury punch Joshua's face in once and for all but I doubt AJ would get in the ring with Fury.

Would love to see Wilder flatline Joshua aswell. Again good luck getting him in the ring with Wilder.

It's more fun when Joshua is the underdog, this guy has never been terminator material, as much as the British press made him out to be, he has never looked like this stoic, monstrous, knock out destructor that everyone should fear, even shot ass Wladimir almost knocked his ass out yet no matter how many times we see him rag-dolled like that, his fans will still swear by him, it's crazy but good for him.

After the Ruiz disaster, he went on to win a decision in the most cowardly way possible in the rematch and then looked completely outgunned in the Usyk match, at this point there's no reason for me to believe wilder wouldn't knock him out and Fury should be a clear favorite if they fought.

And you know what? I like him more this way, this is what Joshua should be, he is more approachable and relatable this way, instead of making him out to be an unbeatable superhero, make him the underdog, rocky type guy, who against all odds is trying to get his glory back against a couple of monsters clearly favored over him.

Anyway, Joshua is very good but Usyk is better, it's that simple, Usyk is also better than Fury but Fury but Fury is smarter than Joshua and knows how to move and use his size better, Joshua's size does him barely any benefits against Usyk. I think he gets knocked out this time.

Yes AJ looks good to fans mostly because he looks physically imposing rather than skill in ring. Plus he has good power and KO reel. It was an interesting run for a few years seeing him nearly KOd almost every fight and just waiting for it to happen for real, while most were blinded cos they thought he looks hot.

Good point on "most cowardly way" Ruiz rematch.

Not sure I'm with you on Usyk being better than Fury, I think you're talking about pound for pound but that's not relevant when you're talking about heavyweight contenders. He might be more skilled but if he's too small for Fury he's not a better heavyweight. I'm possibly splitting hairs there.

Personally not a fan of this situation, Usyk should not be fighting given what is happening in Ukraine. If Joshua is ever gonna win it will be now.

Only plus side is we may see Tyson Fury punch Joshua's face in once and for all but I doubt AJ would get in the ring with Fury.

Would love to see Wilder flatline Joshua aswell. Again good luck getting him in the ring with Wilder.

Let the AJ hate flow my friend lol.
AJ was also arguably a paper champ; here's how he won his titles:
-IBF: beat Charles Martin who won his title because his opponent twisted his knee in the fight.
-WBA: beat Klitschko who had just lost his titles to Fury.
-WBO: beat Parker who won his title by beating none other than Andy Ruiz!!!
Very interesting stuff.

Just read something interesting. Usyk dropped a hint about his strategy against AJ in the rematch.
"I cannot reveal everything. I cannot open my cards," he said. "One of the hints is that I'm going to change my stance or my position."
Exclusive: Boxing - Usyk mounts Ukraine relief effort ahead of Joshua fight

I believe he's hinting at adopting a more bladed (side-on) stance for the rematch. Blading his stance will provide a reduced attack surface when AJ looks to target the body. That's a smart tactic considering those heavy body shots the last time out were clearly AJ's most effective weapon. His hint could also potentially mean that he plans to switch hit or shift his attacks in the rematch, as both change a fighter's stance, but I doubt he plans to use either of those tactics.

For the love of god please let usyk derail the AJ train once and for all. They cant keep pumping him up to 'the star' and play the he reinvented himself card all over again.
He got beat, simply not the best of his era.

AJ is a very average fighter

AJ will face a guy who played him like a puppet on his home turf and is considered by many as a symbol and a role model. Disadvantages are pretty even IMO.

AJ is a very average fighter
If by average you mean a top fighter then that's accurate. A couple losses doesn't undo what he's accomplished in his career. He still has the best résumé in the division and by quite some distance.

Back