• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Usyk vs Joshua 2 August 20th

It's been a long time since a non-freakshow boxing card had me interested in more than just the main event <mma4>

In some ways, I'm actually more pumped for Filip Hrgovic vs Zhang Zhilei, than I am in Usyk vs Joshua 2...

"HRGA" is a -1000 favorite, and Ling Lang is a +550 underdog? <HisEye>
Fair enough, but I hope the fight will be closer than those lines suggest.

Also, my fellow countryman
(well I'm only 1/4 French, but I still got dat frog pride!)
Mathieu Beauderlique
Mathieu-Bauderlique-foudroye-des-le-1er-round-2.jpg

finally gets a chance to fight somewhere else than in France as a pro, it's a big deal for us!
Literally every single one of his 22 pro fights (going 21-1) took place in France.

It's the match of the night were I'm expecting the most fireworks
If you're interested in watching his sole pro defeat at the hands of the Italian Dragan Lepei, knock yourselves out, it's a sweet KO =>

Anyway, Mathieu is also a huge underdog, at +550 while Callum Smith is a -900 favorite.
I can't really make any kind of prediction, but I sure hope my fellow frog takes the upset KO! (he finished 5 of his last 6 fights)

Callum's last win over Castillo was also a brutal KO so I hope this one doesn't end in a decision either way

If this is going to be Mathieu's first pro fight outside France, on the other hand, he's traveled a LOT for his amateur boxing bouts... Italy, Russia, Brazil, Cuba, Bulgaria, Hungary....
Mathieu's amateur boxing career has been less impressive than his professional, but still decent, going 19-15 from 2009 to 2016. Still bagged himself an Olympic Bronze Medal though!
This sole Olympic experience (2016, Rio de Janeiro games) had him winning 2 fights before dropping a decision to Julio César de la Cruz , and there's no shame in losing to such an absolute amateur elite...
(some highlights there => )

It's too bad that most Frenchmen don't give a shit about boxing (that they call "Anglaise", as opposed to French boxing, aka "Boxe Française/Savate") <{hughesimpress}> but hey, it's a cultural thing.

Kickboxing & Muay Thai are veeery popular in France (I once made a thread about all the French Muay Thai champions in history, farangs are an interesting topic IMHO... long story short, "farangset" sounds like "Français" when pronounced by a Thai with heavy accent... ), even if Judo is still by far THE country's dearest martial art.

But boxing? More liek "boring" amirite?

As I was saying, t's a cultural thing, with the whole rivalry between France & England... better to be sports rivals than fight in bloody 100 years wars, I'll say <{JustBleed}>
"War only in the ring, peace on Earth"©Wanderlei Silva
"We are all one"©Genki Sudo

Anyway... aside from the last 3 bouts, any reasons to get pumped about some of the others?
I'm not really a (modern) boxing buff, I'm way more into MMA/KB/MT/Grappling, so I might be missing some potential gems there...

It's been a long time since a non-freakshow boxing card had me interested in more than just the main event <mma4>

In some ways, I'm actually more pumped for Filip Hrgovic vs Zhang Zhilei, than I am in Usyk vs Joshua 2...

Mathieu Beauderlique

finally gets a chance to fight somewhere else than in France as a pro, it's a big deal for us!
Literally every single one of his 22 pro fights (going 21-1) took place in France.

If you're interested in watching his sole pro defeat at the hands of the Italian Dragan Lepei, knock yourselves out, it's a sweet KO =>

Anyway, Mathieu is also a huge underdog, at +550 while Callum Smith is a -900 favorite.
I can't really make any kind of prediction, but I sure hope my fellow frog takes the upset KO! (he finished 5 of his last 6 fights)

Callum's last win over Castillo was also a brutal KO so I hope this one doesn't end in a decision either way

If this is going to be Mathieu's first pro fight outside France, on the other hand, he's traveled a LOT for his amateur boxing bouts... Italy, Russia, Brazil, Cuba, Bulgaria, Hungary....
Mathieu's amateur boxing career has been less impressive than his professional, but still decent, going 19-15 from 2009 to 2016. Still bagged himself an Olympic Bronze Medal though!
This sole Olympic experience (2016, Rio de Janeiro games) had him winning 2 fights before dropping a decision to Julio César de la Cruz , and there's no shame in losing to such an absolute amateur elite...

It's too bad that most Frenchmen don't give a shit about boxing (that they call "Anglaise", as opposed to French boxing, aka "Boxe Française/Savate") <{hughesimpress}> but hey, it's a cultural thing.

Kickboxing & Muay Thai are veeery popular in France (I once made a thread about all the French Muay Thai champions in history, farangs are an interesting topic IMHO... long story short, "farangset" sounds like "Français" when pronounced by a Thai with heavy accent... ), even if Judo is still by far THE country's dearest martial art.

As I was saying, t's a cultural thing, with the whole rivalry between France & England... better to be sports rivals than fight in bloody 100 years wars, I'll say <{JustBleed}>

Anyway... aside from the last 3 bouts, any reasons to get pumped about some of the others?
I'm not really a (modern) boxing buff, I'm way more into MMA/KB/MT/Grappling, so I might be missing some potential gems there...

Fuck outta here.

Mathieu Beauderlique

While boxing has clearly become a niche sport in France we certainly don’t care much about savate.

While boxing has clearly become a niche sport in France we certainly don’t care much about savate.

Of course, of course, my sentence was badly written, it's not what I meant at all...
It's too bad that most Frenchmen don't give a shit about boxing (that they call "Anglaise", as opposed to French boxing, aka "Boxe Française/Savate")
I meant that the sport itself is called "Anglaise" over there (Boxe Anglaise), as opposed to "Boxe Française" (for which "Savate" is another name)

One thing I remember from spending a decade in France back in the early 2000s, is that K1 was very popular.

It was pretty common for young people to be familiar with names like Cro Cop, Le Banner, Bonjasky, even Bob Sapp... way more than the guys who were famous in the UFC at the same time (PRIDE was a bit more popular, since lots of K1 guys fought there a few times, or PRIDE guys fought at a few K1 events).

Actually, it's the other way around. I'm familiar with Bauderlique and have watched him fight over the years. He's also competed in the World Series of Boxing (WSB) and in AIBA Pro Boxing (APB)—both of which BoxRec considers "amateur" bouts. His amateur career was notable whereas he's yet to do anything notable as a pro. His biggest accomplishment to date by far was medaling bronze at the 2016 Rio Games. Prior to that it was in qualifying for the Olympics by becoming APB champion. He's beaten some quality amateurs over the years but as a pro his best current wins are only over a couple former world title challengers (Mikhalkin & Ngumbu). There's no comparison.

Also, that 19–15 amateur record you cited from BoxRec is almost certainly not accurate. I guarantee he's had more than just 34 amateur bouts. It's likely just a partial record which is typical. There are better resources available for piecing together amateur records.

Actually, it's the other way around. I'm familiar with Bauderlique and have watched him fight over the years. He's also competed in the World Series of Boxing (WSB) and in AIBA Pro Boxing (APB)—both of which BoxRec considers "amateur" bouts. His amateur career was notable whereas he's yet to do anything notable as a pro. His biggest accomplishment to date by far was medaling bronze at the 2016 Rio Games. Prior to that it was in qualifying for the Olympics by becoming APB champion. He's beaten some quality amateurs over the years but as a pro his best current wins are only over a couple former world title challengers (Mikhalkin & Ngumbu). There's no comparison.

Also, that 19–15 amateur record you cited from BoxRec is almost certainly not accurate. I guarantee he's had more than just 34 amateur bouts. It's likely just a partial record which is typical. There are better resources available for piecing together amateur records.
Boxrec redecorates that site way too often… they had a separate record from the pro an am for world series fights not too long ago.

Boxrec redecorates that site way too often… they had a separate record from the pro an am for world series fights not too long ago.
Yeah I don't like their new theme. The functionality has been enhanced but still I liked the old theme and layout better. I remember when they had the WSB separate from amateur but now they're even grouping APB fights as "amateur" when they're actually pro bouts. It's literally in the name, AIBA Pro Boxing. Though, since AIBA is the international amateur governing body, it's counted as amateur apparently.

Don’t know about anyone else, but I’m looking forward to the whole card here.

Not the greatest quality but should be some fun fights and KO’s along the way.

Shame the atmosphere will likely be non-existent at the stadium.

Yeah I don't like their new theme. The functionality has been enhanced but still I liked the old theme and layout better. I remember when they had the WSB separate from amateur but now they're even grouping APB fights as "amateur" when they're actually pro bouts. It's literally in the name, AIBA Pro Boxing. Though, since AIBA is the international amateur governing body, it's counted as amateur apparently.
Ye, unrelated but before the olympics recent rule change, if I was asked asked, I used to tell casuals the difference between amateur and pro boxing is head gear. Now you actually have to dig into specifics of production and rule set to explain the difference.

Ye, unrelated but before the olympics recent rule change, if I was asked asked, I used to tell casuals the difference between amateur and pro boxing is head gear. Now you actually have to dig into specifics of production and rule set to explain the difference.
The lines between the two are becoming blurrier and blurrier. That's what AIBA wants though and the direction in which they're continuing to go.

Pumped for it. Main event ( Australia ppv) only seemed to pick it up this wk and I wasn't prepared to get dazn just for it. I think AJ starts well with Garcia getting him working behind the jab. Usyk takes over by 5th and gets a 10/11th rnd ko.

Pumped for it. Main event ( Australia ppv) only seemed to pick it up this wk and I wasn't prepared to get dazn just for it. I think AJ starts well with Garcia getting him working behind the jab. Usyk takes over by 5th and gets a 10/11th rnd ko.

Hang on pal, why would anyone pay $49 (i think for mainevent) when you can subscribe to DAZN for $13 or so per month and watch the fight with your subscription? Then just cancel the shit after.

Wow! Yes! This is a great fight! I'm a fan of Joshua and Usyk. May the better man win, I can't wait!

Back