Usman hasn’t actually wrestled since the Woodley fight.

Name someone who hasn't abandoned their wrestling/grappling eventually?

Fedor? Used to grapple all the time, quit doing that over 10 years ago
DC? Grappled almost to the end, but in the last 2 Stipe fights decided to just stand and trade with him
Khabib? Wrestled all the time....then retired young. Probably would be standup-only if he made a comeback.

Colby is a good wrestler so they might have cancelled out. Burns is a good grappler so he was probably trying to avoid submissions but also after getting tagged early he might have been in a striking mindset.

He was purely a striker against Colby, Burns and Masvidal the second time. The first Masvidal fight he clinched and held him agains the cage, but didn’t wrestle much at all.

I wonder why that’s the case? Usman used to shoot doubles, hip toss, etc. all the time. And more strangely, strikers still fight him with their hands low like they are scared to death of a takedown even though he’s winning by KOs now and hasn’t landed a takedown in 2 years.

Colby needs to wrestle this guy to win.
Same thing happened with Josh Koscheck, Rashad Evans and Dan Henderson. People were so prepared for the takedowns it benefited their striking and they also all fell in love with their striking.

I just hope Usman doesn't fall in love with his hands too much after the Masvidal KO

I notice wrestlers start feeling themselves a bit after they score a big KO and begin to forget about their wrestling...

Colby needs to wrestle this guy to win

Colby's wrestling is vastly overrated I find it very toothless with little punishment or control coming from it. Seems like he uses to score points and tire his opponent than to inflict real damage. The smaller RDA was able to work himself up every time Colby took him down even taking Colby down himself. Other than a deep cardio I don't see any deep threats from Colby.

Going into a rematch with Usman the biggest difference between the two is that Colby as to come into the fight the best shape of his life and fight the best fight of his career, Usman just as to show up in shape and be sharp.

Back