using BJJ in wrestling

as soon as u get into guard= u are pinned= the match is over= u lost

PS: You are an ASS for trying to triangle someone in wrestling....u know damn well u are not suppose to do that type of shit, I hope u realize that man....

TapOutGrapler said:
The question is below the paragraph

Hey, I've taken BJJ for two years now and moved to an area where they don't offer it. So I decided to go out and try HS wrestling(folkstyle). My first night was horrible- I felt like I could have won some of the live matches if it was submission, but I was pinned 3/4 of the time. ( The last one, I snuck a triangle choke on a guy and reversed him when he passed out). My second practice-now knowing some of the applications in wrestling-used my BJJ to pin 3/4 of my opponents two of which had wrestled for atleast 7 years combined. The fourth guy I dint pin took me down and I used the gaurd to set him up for a reversal and took his back. I sunk my hooks in and he was like "Oh shit". After that he asked me where I learned to use my legs like that- I say "jujisu" reeaaaal fast and he bow down to me.

Is there any body else like that in my predictament? going from BJJ to folkstyle? Any tips on how to use BJJ positional strategy or legal subs or soemthing?
:eek:

I think your full of shit. :icon_evil
I know for a fact you didn't use your gaurd or you would have lost damn near immediately and plus your wrestling coach would have further kicked your ass for being such an embarassment to him and all wreslers in general.
Also
Noone passed out to your triangle because referees would have DQ'ed you and once again your coach would have left you at the opponents middle school.
Also
You also didn't use any pure BJJ moves to pin anyone that wrestled for a few years.
You MAY have used some SUB GRAP moves that are actually baseed in wrestling.
also,
no wreslter gives a shit about you "taking his back" The object is not for you to "take his back" it is to force HIM onto his back.
also
to be this ignorent about wrestling while trying to brag on your BJJ is pathetic and you are just generally an gnome.

as delta would say..

that is all.

Thread starter knows wrestling like I know brain surgery. Delete this stupid thread please. I'm curious as to where your shoulders were when applying said triangle? If you weren't stuck, you sure as hell had exposure points against you. Hit a flying armbar out of a collar tie yet you lying deuche?

JackDaniels said:
you realise that in a real match, pulling guard or trying to triangle somebody, is not going to help you. Pulling guard will get you pinned, and triangling somebody will get you pinned first, then dq'd.

That's about the size of it. If you were pulling triangles and guard...then chances are....you were pinned.

TapOutGrapler said:
First off- I didnt pull guard, I just used it to prevent them from getting a dominant position. It's the only way I feel comfortable on my back right now. I got a lot of compliments from guys who had no idea what I was doing.

Second off- Yeah I do need to find out what wrestling is like, thats why I'm asking if anyone can help me. I dont expect to use pure BJJ in wrestling match, I want to know wrestling, just as I would want to learn BJJ in a BJJ match.

Thirdly- I'm asking if any one has any tips that can help me break some habits- like using open guard or sinking hooks in on somebody when you have back control. Whatever I can get from this will help me greatly in BJJ or maybe even Pro MMA.

Of course this is sherdog....so I don't expect to get any REAL advice for another five flame posts.

Sinking hooks in when you have someone's back is called "putting in the legs" in wrestling...and there's NOTHING wrong with it. If you are in a position to use guard, then your opponent IS in a dominant position...guard will NEVER help you in a folkstyle wrestling match. Dave Schultz used what is basically a kimura to throw the heck outta people and also injure their shoulders...watch some tapes of him for a submission move also has wrestling application. And ask your coach about the toe-hold....that might be something you'd take to well.

Kforcer said:
Dave Schultz used what is basically a kimura to throw the heck outta people and also injure their shoulders...watch some tapes of him for a submission move also has wrestling application.

LOL, thanks for bringing back some memories about that move. We called it a key lock throw. I hit it on some kid in a greco tournament and he came up throwing bombs and cussing me out. He thought I was trying to break his arm.

Anyone here ever watch grapple book. There is a hilarious scene with a BJJ fighter fighting in a wrestling match. He eventually loses by tech fall. It is HILARIOUS

It wasnt a match- it was a live practice match. and the coach appaerently had his attetntion elsewhere becuase no one told me what I was doing was wrong. I was in the wrong mindset anyways.....I thought- if ican apply this, he'll tap out, and I'll win...then he ddint tap. When I felt his body weight come down onto mine, I let go and asked him if he was alright. It took him a second( I swear a second) and he said just a little uncomfortable and started working for position. so I just reversed him with it. I'll gget back on later tho try and explain it... seeing as how many people think Im asshole (and I probably am for doing it-because I knew what it would do- and I should have known he wouldnt tap).

That is all

you would not want to use the closed guard in wrestling but i don't see why you couldn't use the butterfly guard to set up sweeps.

TapOutGrapler said:
It wasnt a match- it was a live practice match. and the coach appaerently had his attetntion elsewhere becuase no one told me what I was doing was wrong. I was in the wrong mindset anyways.....I thought- if ican apply this, he'll tap out, and I'll win...then he ddint tap. When I felt his body weight come down onto mine, I let go and asked him if he was alright. It took him a second( I swear a second) and he said just a little uncomfortable and started working for position. so I just reversed him with it. I'll gget back on later tho try and explain it... seeing as how many people think Im asshole (and I probably am for doing it-because I knew what it would do- and I should have known he wouldnt tap).

That is all

haha, you might be lucky that someone didn't really notice what you were doing, 'cause one guy came in last summer and basically did the same thing you did to one of our 130lbers...except the heavyweight (who is a catch-wrestler, too) saw it, walked over, grabbed the bjj dude, pinned him, and then keylocked him and kept in the hold until he was done lecturing him... Be careful when you try that on a wrestler, cause you never know...you may be barking up the wrong tree, or even better, just DON'T triangle people in wrestling!

TapOutGrapler said:

That is all

To be honest, it sounds like YOU were pinned, if you were in a position to apply a triangle. I would suggest stepping back and really making an attempt to learn the fundamental rules of wrestling--chokes are essentially illegal, though you *CAN* use "non-chokes" such as the front headlock to take the air away from your opponent and gain an advantage (I'd suggest watching some tape of Nick and Andy Simmons if you want to be up on that approach)...and when your shoulders touch the mat, you are pinned, period, triangle, guard, armbar or not.

Right now, it appears that you don't know the rules of the sport you are trying to compete in...you are use moves that exist outside the sphere of what is legal in the sport and thus unwittingly being unfair to your opponents. Ask your choke about what is and is not permitted in wrestling as soon as you get the chance, man. Better resource than a Sherdog forum.

Watch some catch wrestling vids from Tony Cecchini (sp.). Just watch the first parts of the series where he talks about position and control, it may help you considerably.

In response to your question about Hayliks winning the Mundials --- in a word, no. He never competed in gi competitions again, to my knowledge.

Kforcer said:
-chokes are essentially illegal, though you *CAN* use "non-chokes" such as the front headlock to take the air away from your opponent and gain an

although in wrestling you will need to have one arm secured.

tough crowd! but right about you trying that BJJ stuff in a wrestling match. get a book if nothing else and learn the rules and basics. the hardest students we get in our school are those with folkstyle wrestling backgrounds, "un-teaching" them things, before you can go forward. The same probably applies going the other way. it is OK to be on your stomach with your oppnent on your back, that one is the toughest to relearn

ur a fucking kook. you cant go into another discipline expecting to use your style. using the guard in wrestling is completely retarded. any good wrestler would simply grab both your legs and hold u there for more and more back points. secondly, if you keep pulling bullshit like triangles you're going to find yourself on the bad side of some extremely painful wrestling moves.i also find it hard to believe that on your second day u pinned 3/4 of your opponents. u lack the pinning ability to pin a wrestler. that isnt taught in bjj.
on a technical note. leg riding most likely will not be your thing. dont throw hooks in from the back position. simply arm chop and ride wrists. it seems like you're working when your really not. other than that. learn granby's switches, half nelsons, and cradles

Since wrestling is a completely different thing than BJJ, do they still use positioning that we do in BJJ, such as mount, side mount, knee-on-stomach, taking peoples backs, etc.?

TapOutGrapler said:
First off- I didnt pull guard, I just used it to prevent them from getting a dominant position. It's the only way I feel comfortable on my back right now. I got a lot of compliments from guys who had no idea what I was doing.
for the love of god, i hope you wrestle a good opponent when you try some BJJ shit on the mat.

you'll be humiliated and maybe then, you will learn how to wrestle.

SwiftMcvay said:
Since wrestling is a completely different thing than BJJ, do they still use positioning that we do in BJJ, such as mount, side mount, knee-on-stomach, taking peoples backs, etc.?
in wrestling you dont want mounts because people can post and elbow and stay off their back, you cant pressure their shoulders without setting yourself up to be rolled.

knee on stomach would give them your leg or get you rolled.

taking the back is good but you can get stacked when someone puts their hips up and grabs your head. this can pin you.

side mount is basically what you want. you get on your toes and all your weight rides their wind and you've got many options to secure a pin.

Back