using BJJ in wrestling

Okay, I think i need to explain this becuase alot of you think that I am doing this while I'm pinned. When I used guard, I turned my upper body to the side-only one shoulder would be touching (for extra measures...I would sneak an elbow under my rib cage so I would have a base to work off of besides my shoulder. I am sure he would have gotten points- seeing that I was on the bottom. When I did the triangle- i was completly on my side. he was in dominant position where both legs were over my legs and was going for side control, so he was kinda split. I did a triangle from one shoulder- with out pulling his head down and lifting with the hips-just basicaly a headlock with my legs.

I even asked the assistant coach If i could use my legs on someone's head. He said "yes but you can only use a figure four hold, you cant scissors somebody". This kinda shocked me since I knew that I could ko somebody that way. I told him if i got an arm in, i could knock somebody out. He just kinda flicked both his wrists like he thought I was kidding. So I thought what I was doing was perfectly legal.

BTW, I got to talk to the guy ( I passed out, or so I thought) in the hall way. All he said was that he felt a "little" uncomfortable and was trying to let me reverse him(?)maybe so I would let off the presssure and move to a pin(?) and wasnt sure if what i was doing was illegal or not.Coming from you guys though, I'm gonna take my chances that it is very illegal. Not too many of the people there take my experience serious- seeing as how the assisstant coach thought i was joking about passing somebody out- but they do say I am learning very quickly. This of course, i think is because Im used to rolling and throwing.

Also, I may not have mentioned this, but I got a small arsenal of "judo" throws that I consider BJJ, becuase it was taught there. So knowing that can probably help me with my question- how can I become a better wrestler? How can I get rid of these "BJJ" and "JUDO" instincts? Or will keepig them help me? I think maybe Judo would, I mean I'm not an expert on wrestling, so maybe you guys could help me.

I am gonna look at all those vids that you guys told me to see. I am not intrested in seeing how I can legally pass some one out or kimura them or what ever- I just want to become a better wrestler. That way, when I get back into BJJ, I'll have somehthing new to help me.

Fight_Song said:
in wrestling you dont want mounts because people can post and elbow and stay off their back, you cant pressure their shoulders without setting yourself up to be rolled.

side mount is basically what you want. you get on your toes and all your weight rides their wind and you've got many options to secure a pin.

I thought you weren't allowed to take full mount? Oh well, shows how much I really know. I keep asking about what I can and can't do.

You should bring some nunchucks and really fuck up those folkstyle wrestlers.

^lol...that is so wrong. I want to get it under my belt though. I want to learn something. The p[lace Im living in right now doens t offer BJJ so I think this is the best way to continue with my growing. Im learning and hopefully I wont have to make a thread like this again.

Nice avatar

I see, judging by the responses this must be why people make fun of sherdog posters

Ignorant people make fun of us because we try to talk sense. How dare we try to suggest technique over white belt "style" and offer our opinions without reserve. Just string us up and beat us with cricket bats for our sins.

P.S. Does Dakota still have buffalo burgers and Devil's Rock?

Dawg, this is how forums should be! I havent even complained once, so Super Beast, if that was directed towards me, I'd like to hear why. I mean, I did make an advice forum and you guys are giving me advice. People need to bring there uncensored opionion to the table. So far- I'm kinda flamed I guess, but I dont care- they're the people who make this site real. It's also the people that give advice on a thread asking for advice that make this forum one of the best. I do think that some of the people write ignorant post just for their own benefeit. I've heard a few people on myspace about how some of our fellow sherdoggers are brutal and inconsistqant with their....blah blah blah....I think Sherdog community is the best forum eva!!

I don't know what your coach was talking about....but figure-fouring a guy's head in wrestling has been illegal forever...my bro had a guy in the air in the state finals and the dude figure-foured his head in order to have them restarted. He took a deduction, of course, but avoided getting PINNED as he probably would've.

TapOutGrapler said:
Dawg, this is how forums should be! I havent even complained once, so Super Beast, if that was directed towards me, I'd like to hear why. I mean, I did make an advice forum and you guys are giving me advice. People need to bring there uncensored opionion to the table. So far- I'm kinda flamed I guess, but I dont care- they're the people who make this site real. It's also the people that give advice on a thread asking for advice that make this forum one of the best. I do think that some of the people write ignorant post just for their own benefeit. I've heard a few people on myspace about how some of our fellow sherdoggers are brutal and inconsistqant with their....blah blah blah....I think Sherdog community is the best forum eva!!

You might think I flamed your earlier, and you MIGHT be right, BUT I thought you were a fake who would just dissapear once the BS flag was thrown.

Since you are still here I must assume you are seriously interested.

Ask for extra time with your coaches. Ask to work on sprawls. Ask for penatration drills(double,single, etc.) On drills always visualize an opponent and don't just walk across the mat.

Do sprints(ask your track coach) 100's 200's 400's. Long distance won't help as much.

PM me for more info.

I hope to God this was the JV team. If it had been my team, someone would've surely noticed you were choking people out, pinning yourself and generally acting a damn fool and fucked you up for it. As far as trying to tap wrestlers, thats even more retarded than the rest of the stuff. Wrestlers don't tap. Ever. You can do whatever you want to them and they won't give a shit. You'll either sleep them or injure them. You really think any self respecting wrestler is gonna come off the mat talking about he quit? He may as well quit the team too.

TapOutGrapler said:
I thought you weren't allowed to take full mount? Oh well, shows how much I really know. I keep asking about what I can and can't do.
you dont see it because it's a bad position. you want to get your body 90 degrees to his so you dont get rolled.

how about instead of resorting to bjj methods in a sport where they dont really work to learning how to wrestle correctly so you're not on your back and you dont need to pull guard.

do you see wrestlers pulling cradles in bjj? probably not. it's a different sport.

Os3y3ris said:
I hope to God this was the JV team. If it had been my team, someone would've surely noticed you were choking people out, pinning yourself and generally acting a damn fool and fucked you up for it. As far as trying to tap wrestlers, thats even more retarded than the rest of the stuff. Wrestlers don't tap. Ever. You can do whatever you want to them and they won't give a shit. You'll either sleep them or injure them. You really think any self respecting wrestler is gonna come off the mat talking about he quit? He may as well quit the team too.

My school won the state championship in wrestling (i didn't wrestle though, I played football), and I know a lot of the people on the team. Some of them were very tough, but some of them were always sidelined with injuries, didn't make weight, etc. and I would consider this quitting. And trust me, if i ever got a wrestler in a fucking armbar (which i have in BJJ class) they will tap long before i snap their arm. Not tapping is the same thing as quitting, because you sure as hell can't compete for the next 6-8 weeks if your shit gets snapped

I'm a wrestler and I'll tap long before my injured or asleep. What makes more sense, being a hardass and getting your arm broken, or tapping out and being able to train. Its rediculous that anyone would let a misplaced sense of pride get in the way of their training.

Well, if you keep one shoulder blade off the mat and shrimp a lot, or use a sitting butterfly guard, I guess you could use the guard for short periods to sweep your opponent. I'm not sure it would be worth the risk of getting pinned, but maybe you could use it sometimes to psyche out your opponent. Choking is illegal though, period.

Os3y3ris said:

wow...you really didnt take the time to read my posts did you? tsk tsk

i have to disagree with the bulk of what's been posted on this thread. You can and probably will be able to use alot of your BJJ in wrestling..granted, this doesn't include submissions. I say this because i have seen it work. When my instructor first moved to the US, he was 17 and had been training under Carlson Gracie since like age 11 or something. I was 15 at the time and a class mate of his. Everybody at my school knew he did "that gracie stuff" but didn't know much about it. Anyway, as there was nowhere for him to train at the time (this was 98 in northeast ohio) he went out for our wrestling team. After a few weeks of getting wasted because he wasn't used to the rules, he started to adapt, and then he started winning, ALOT. On varsity, no less. He would basically let guys take him down into a butterfly guard, with one hand back as a post to keep his back off of the ground, and then just sweep the living crap outta his opponents... in one of his matches that I've seen on video a couple of times, he swept his opponent into a full mount. He would stay on top and rack up points that way. He was beating pretty much everybody in his weight class until his knee went out in a match with the 5th ranked guy in the state, which he was winning up until his knee went.

now keep in mind, you are nowhere near as good at jiu jitsu as my instructor was when he came to the US, but that shouldn't dissuade you from using some jiu jitsu "tricks" in your matches. your regular training partners will pick up on what you do and be able to nullify it after awhile, but you may be able to beat alot of average opponents that have no idea what you're doing. Guys that have been wrestling for awhile will usually kick your ass, but it may help you make that jump from JV to varsity or something...who knows

One of Rorion's kids (who was offered a scholarship to wrestle at stanford) said that he never really "wrestled" much, but just got by on his ability to surprise guys with his jiu jitsu stuff..

Learn as much as you can, but don't forget where you came from

Back