• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Use of weight-loss drugs soars among kids, young adults

The mechanism of GLP-1s are different from Berberine. GLP-1 has a delaying effect in terms of gastric motility. Berberine is compared to something like Metformin. People are using GLP-1s to lose weight. It mimics the body's signal of feeling full so you eat less. Berberine doesn't really do that outside of making you have diarrhea. You aren't going to lose weight using Berberine.
You are right. I rewatched and saw it was metformin.

It works but most people don't like the gym. I see people working out in the gym. More than half of them are just doing bullshit workouts. It's really hard to distinguish what is fad vs effectiveness because of social media.
I disagree, it’s actually not all that difficult if you’re interested in it. I’ve been working out for quite a while now, and I gathered most of my knowledge about fitness and exercise from YouTube. Of course I didn’t just watch a single YouTube video and accept it as gospel, I watched hundreds of YouTube videos on strength and muscle building, and was able to separate the useful stuff from the bullshit just by noticing how certain things were being repeated by just about everyone and I focused on those.

I think it’s easier now than it has ever been to educate yourself on any topic that might interest you, so yeah the only thing that’s stopping people from changing their life is usually laziness.

If you lived through the 90's, you already know the dangers of "weight loss" drugs. That said, if you're 400lbs you may as well pick your poison and go for it. The people looking to lose 10-20lbs with a quick fix are gonna be the ones regretting their choices.

But hey, if they find a weight loss drug that works for everyone, more power to them. I've been conditioned to believe that there is always a price to pay for this shit. Usually is, when your body is being transformed at a rapid pace by a drug, but you never know.

Yeah, quite a history.
Took them a while to narrow down the impact of fen-phen on the heart.
They are still investigating whether the net effect of metformin is muscle protection or muscle atrophy, and that's been in use since the '40s (surprisingly, despite increasing insulin sensitivity, it often results in mild weight loss).
Be a while before the effects of GLP-1 drugs are nailed down, but there's certainly a lot of test subjects. They are already pretty confident that it causes a substantial loss of muscle mass and bone density though. Then there's the rebound effect on fat gain if you stop using them.
With the rapid increase in obesity rates and the usual trials of adolescence, no surprise teenagers would be using them.

I disagree, it’s actually not all that difficult if you’re interested in it. I’ve been working out for quite a while now, and I gathered most of my knowledge about fitness and exercise from YouTube. Of course I didn’t just watch a single YouTube video and accept it as gospel, I watched hundreds of YouTube videos on strength and muscle building, and was able to separate the useful stuff from the bullshit just by noticing how certain things were being repeated by just about everyone and I focused on those.

I think it’s easier now than it has ever been to educate yourself on any topic that might interest you, so yeah the only thing that’s stopping people from changing their life is usually laziness.
Most of the stuff on youtube is garbage. If you are a newbie you really can't tell the difference. It takes time to go through the bullshit. There is no reinventing the wheel. The basics work.

Half in the influencers that are male or female shouldn't be coaching. They are garbage.

Most of the stuff on youtube is garbage. If you are a newbie you really can't tell the difference. It takes time to go through the bullshit. There is no reinventing the wheel. The basics work.

Half in the influencers that are male or female shouldn't be coaching. They are garbage.
More like most of the stuff has some garbage in it, but many also contain some fundamental basics you mention. Many of those people are actual personal trainers and bodybuilders, etc., and they have an incentive to give useful advice for the sake of their channel. If goes through enough different sources of information they will recognize some recurring themes and they can disregard the rest that is not agreed upon by most.

The fact that it takes time, well, yeah you’re not gonna learn all there is to training in a 30 second you tube short, but if you want to drastically, change your lifestyle and don’t know how, you will have to take some time to educate yourself.

If someone is too lazy to put in some hours of research, they’re probably too lazy to stick to a workout routine anyway.

If you lived through the 90's, you already know the dangers of "weight loss" drugs.
Jessie Spano almost losing her life to caffeine pills turned me off to all drugs.

giphy.gif

Im more pissed because i have a hard time getting my Wegovy for my pre beetus. It wasn't even meant for weight loss. I had to start taking it every two weeks to stretch it out so i dont go more then two weeks without it.

I've wondered if the TB vaccine would do similar with weight loss as these pricey GLP-1 weight loss diabetes drugs do. The TB vaccine is cheap at around .06 cents. The article only mentions type 1 diabetes but I've read articles were the lead researcher says the TB vaccine is helping to control blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetics also.

Tuberculosis vaccine shows promise in controlling blood sugar​

Im more pissed because i have a hard time getting my Wegovy for my pre beetus. It wasn't even meant for weight loss. I had to start taking it every two weeks to stretch it out so i dont go more then two weeks without it.

I haven't checked in a while but the FDA put the GLP-1 drugs on a shortage list. Being added to the list means that compounding pharmacies can make it. Compounding pharmacies in the US are all licensed. You can find more details on Reddit but basically you make a doctor appointment with an online clinic who's known for working with a compounding pharmacy and get your prescription that way, then the pharmacy mails the generic to you. The GLP-1s are all peptides in the public domain, there's nothing special about the name brand. It's insane Novo, Eli Lilly, etc, are able to get away with charging what they charge considering they only have the patent on the injector pen and the "formulation," which is literally just saline water added to the peptide.

despite repeated efforts to diet and exercise
There are so many people who claim “I’ve tried everything “ but what they mean is they went to the gym for a few weeks and tried a fad diet for a month.

Some people do have a legitimate condition that makes it hard to lose weight, but that’s a small percentage. Most people are obese because of poor choices. Having a miracle pill doesn’t solve the issue.

Calories in and Calories out! Its that simple.

I definetely feel for the kids that I see these days walking around obese at as young as 5-6. They don't deserve the ridicule and challenges that come with being that fat...For those that say its a choice, I agree but we can't expect children under 16 to be going on diets and what not, the responsibility is on the parents to set precendent and not suffocate their pantries with junk. But thats just my 2 cents.
For many it's not a choice. Ever heard of a food desert? The cheapest foods are the most fattening and the most widely available; there's little a poor person can do about that.

If you're working poor with little ones to get home to and take care of where are you getting the time to travel across town to the supermarket for fresh fruits and vegetables you often can't afford anyway?

Edit: of course there are lots of obese people who don't have these challenges but they may have others.

Last edited:
Calories in, calories out you fat fucking fucks......

Trillion dollar industry on excuses. Never change humans.

If fat people can start losing weight just by taking a pill, how am I going to feel superior to them?
Don't worry. Insurance companies don't cover these drugs, yet. So, the fat people you will continue to see will be fat and poor.

So, you can feel a bit superior for being healthy and wealthy

Don't worry. Insurance companies don't cover these drugs, yet. So, the fat people you will continue to see will be fat and poor.

So, you can feel a bit superior for being healthy and wealthy

This reprieve will only last until the US health insurance companies work to lower the cost of these drugs to be in line with other developed countries. Nevertheless, I appreciate you trying to cheer me up.

Most obesity could probably be significantly decreased if all obese people did a fast for one month.

Most obesity could probably be significantly decreased if all obese people did a fast for one month.
And then because of the way human physiology works, they'll put on all the weight they lost during their fast and then add on even more weight.

For many it's not a choice. Ever heard of a food desert? The cheapest foods are the most fattening and the most widely available; there's little a poor person can do about that.

If you're working poor with little ones to get home to and take care of where are you getting the time to travel across town to the supermarket for fresh fruits and vegetables you often can't afford anyway?

Edit: of course there are lots of obese people who don't have these challenges but they may have others.

Junk food isn't the cheapest option though. These "food deserts" exist because poor people are also badly educated, and easily manipulated. The cheapest option is cooking with simple staples like oats, lentils, carrots and potatoes. These are in a totally different category to whatever hipster veg whole foods is pushing, however it takes knowledge and skill to make these foods taste good, which is something a lot of people lack.

Junk food isn't the cheapest option though. These "food deserts" exist because poor people are also badly educated, and easily manipulated. The cheapest option is cooking with simple staples like oats, lentils, carrots and potatoes. These are in a totally different category to whatever hipster veg whole foods is pushing, however it takes knowledge and skill to make these foods taste good, which is something a lot of people lack.
I agree. But nothing you've said suggests their eating habits (children that is) are a choice.

Back