Urban

In wait for the captain to give the oficial word, I might as well put in some thought on it.

Just got infinite intensity delivered to me in Sweden today, fast delivery as fcuk..

He doesnt go as deeply into gpp tools like sandbags or sledgehammer, or medbals, since he already has detailed books on these subjets. Personaly I find this good since it dont take space away from the "new" stuff.
He dont go as deep into bodyweight excersises either as he does in warior guide to underground fitness, what he does here however is to add more chalenging excersises, like one armed chins and weigthed pistols, dragon flags etc.
This fact makes that this book dont make your other Ross books antiquated, you will always have reason to go to his other books for aditional tools.

The thing I say he really focuses on in this book is dumbell training, mostly explosive variants like snatches, swings and clean and djerks. There also is a whery interesting chapter about isometric training.

As usual in Ross Emamnits books there are enough conditioning routines to bust your ass for quite some time, Ross is an extreme sadist when it comes to create these types of routines.

I should say that I have been sick for a few days so I havent had the chanse to actually go out and try any of his routines yet, even though I really feel the urge to...;)

He also includes a 50 day example routine, I havent had the time to analyse it yet (or test it), but I got the distinct feeling that it will be a goldmine of information.

Now there you basicly has gotten what it contains. Lets go to my opinions about it. Let me first say that I already considers Ross Emamnits books to be the best fitness resources for combat athletes, by a quite large margine. I had extremely high hopes for it, and it has actually already exceded my expectations. It jammed to the max with science, presented in an extremely digestable form, it is by the way whery pleasantly written and easy to read and browse. And since you already have goten a healthy dose of inspirational pep talk in his other books, this book doesnt waste a lot of space on warrior mind talk (i didnt by the way feel that it was a waste of space in the underground guide).

The thing that raises this book a few notches over his others is its clarity. And by that I mean that I get an extremely clear view of how to think to put togethter my fitness schedule as a combat athlete. When reading his earlier works I could feel that I got confused between gpp, conditioning, strength training, etc and how to put it all into a program. When reading infinite intensity I just feel that it all falls on place.

Be advised hovewer that this book isnt for beginers. I wouldnt buy this book if I didnt either have his "underground guide" or was an advanced athlete.

Personaly I feel that this will take the role as the -bible- of my fitness training, and to complement it with the underground guide, ultimate training and med bals as a resource for aditional tools and programs.

I hope this convinces a few of you fighters or fitness enthusiasts to buy it since it will help you, and propably change your view on training in more than one way.

Now im extremely interested to hear Urbans view on it...

Thanks alot for the info. Another question, which book of his would be the best for somebody getting back into it? I have been off for awhile due to knee surgeries.

Ok, overall I liked ross's Infinite Intensity. there's a number of concepts from his other books, a fist full of new conditioning routine and an interesting approach to cross training. Crossfit comes to mind, but it's a bit more than that.

To start, the materials you'll need in addition to this book will set you back about 150 dollars. It begins with how to make your own plate loaded dumbell very cheap (pipe + hose clamps, and you can get plates for cheap from a second hand store). Or you can buy the dumbell, whatever works for you. this is a mainstay of the weight training portion of the book, as a plate loaded barbell is not used. in addition, you'll need a sandbag and pullup bar, both available for little money. So Ross is sticking with his in the trenches, anyone can do it no matter how broke, style of training. And that aproach works for a lot of fighters.

Now as anyone who has read Ross's stuff before can see, it's not really that different from other things he's put out. However, he takes it to another level. He covers how to work up to a one handed pullup, increase the difficulty of one handed pushups, planks, burpees (can you say burpee-DB-clean-and-press?), pistols etc. In addition his 50 day plan puts it all together for you in a nice well-rounded-combat-athlete package.

now I love Ross's products, I think they've been nothing but phenomenal and this is no different. this book focuses specifically on increasing difficulty. Every drill, every exercise, every workout has a way to increase intensity. I compared it to crossfit before but this is where Ross really shines (asside from specifically tailoring this training to a combat athlete and not some generally fit, semi-gymnastic goon walking on his hands): He takes everything and says when it gets easy, this is how to make it harder, then he puts together a sample workout for you and lets you be on your way, adjusting the difficulty as you go.

now... I do have some criticism. He doesn't use a plate loaded barbell and while he does cover back extensions there is still no deadlift in his program, something I consider pretty important to any lifter's routine (almost regardless of the goals). Also, while this routine would work well for a beginer, and they would benefit tremendously in many ways by following it, he totes it as an all encompasing routine: Something that improves strength, conditioning, explosiveness and speed all at the same time in the right proportions for a fighter. So theoretically you shouldn't have to break from this style of training to focus specifically on one specific facet of your overall athleticism.

I feel that most people (myself included) would benefit by having a base of strength before beginning something like this, and since he only focuses on strength training one day out of five, you could spend that time maintaining the sufficient level of strength you've already acheived. And even then, you may want to break every now and again to devote 6 weeks to strength training. now, will you get strong by just sticking with the program? absolutely, because like I said before, ross covers how to make everything harder. Will you benefit more from the program by having a higher level of strength to begin with? I think so. I would shoot for at least a wilks score of over 300 (I'm aiming for the 325-350 range) before beginning something like this. I know fighters shouldn't train like powerlifters, but I think this is a good score for most people before moving on to advanced training. at this level your peak strength abilities will only help your speed, power, explosiveness and endurance. Beyond this, often times if more advanced methods are not employed, you can gain peak strength in the big three, but lose other traits that may be beneficial to fighters.

All in all, it's a pretty flawless program. As mentioned before, only one day a week is devoted specifically to strength developement (and complex training), but most of the conditioning days and challenges require the use of resistance, combined with the principles laid out throughout the book on making shit more difficult, it's tough to see how you would not get stronger and in better shape. once meeting a strength prerequisite, I think that the principles in this routine would be great for fighters more than 6 weeks away from an event, looping it ad-infinitum with a 1 week rest in between each cycle. if you're a MMArtist, I'd might stick with it until a week or two before your fith. But for a boxer 7 weeks from a fight night take a week off and begin the punching with power routine. It's really a nice approach to well rounded training for combat athletes and an excellent guide for keeping shit challenging.

Urban, I agree if I followed this program I would propably try and find some time for some deadlifts to.

Chesty, I feel that Ross "underground guide" is the best "beginer" book he has. But it is all about bw excersises, if you need to mix in weights in your training infinite intensity would perhaps be your best bet although its tailored towards advanced training. Both are basicly safe buys.

Thanks for your review Urban, very insightful. Krellik, thanks for the advice. I actually will just be starting out with alot of cardio and BW exercises for about 1 month. Then I am planning on adding the weights back in.

actually I'm currently in a discussion with ross on this thread via email. so I'll check in when and if any conclusions are drawn on my criticism of his program

Peanut, punching with power is a book by Ross intended for advanced boxers, if you are not an advanced boxer you will not benefit from it. You will hovewer benefit from his books "underground guide to", ultimate training for" and "infinite intensity".

Are any of his books available at conventional bookstores like a borders or a barnes and noble or do you have to order them online??

You have to order them from warriorforce.com

Ross aint that big yet, but he is darn it the best when it comes to training for combat sports. Or atleast the best that writes books about it...

Fuck I'm gonna have to get the "Underground Guide."

Back